New here

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Hello I just wanted to introduce myself. I am 27 weeks pregnant and my waters have broken. I am inthe hospital on bed rest either till the baby comes or 34 weeks. Whichever comes first. The doctors told me even if I go all the way to 34 weeks there is a good chance the baby will be in the nicu. Especially if she comes before then. Never having a baby in the nicu before I am very scared. Not sure what to expect. I know if she comes soon she will be very tiny and more then likely have a lot of complications. I am really hoping she stays in as long as possible.
June 30th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hello! My son was born at 25 weeks because my water broke. They wanted to keep me on hospital bedrest and i lasted all of 36 hours but hopefully you make it much much longer! My son was 1lbs 1oz and 13inches. He did have a few complications, an infection at a few weeks old and laser eye surgery but overall he did great. He was in the NICU for almost 4 months mostly because he didnt like drinking his bottles He was on oxygen support until about 6 weeks before he came home but has no apparent lasting lung problems.

Right now Michael is almost 18 months and is basically right on track with other babies who were born in April (2010), when he was supposed to be born. He'll probably need glasses at some point, maybe even soon because of the oxygen support damaging his eyes but other then that right now you would never be able to tell he was a preemie. This board has many success stories of little ones who are perfectly "normal" after having rough roads in the NICU
Hang in there and keep us posted!

June 30th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm sorry we have to meet under these circumstances. I too was in the hospital at 27 weeks because my water broke. Unfortunately I only made it 3 days before Jim was born. The good news is, he's now a perfectly normal, healthy 4-year-old...well, as normal as a 4-year-old can be, anyway. The bad news is, he spent 9 weeks in the NICU, which was by far the worst time in my life. I will not lie, the NICU is a really horrible experience, but if we could get through it, you can too!

I will keep my fingers crossed that you're able to keep that little one cooking for a while longer! Keep us posted about how you're doing, we're all rooting for you!

July 1st, 2011, 07:07 AM
army_wife1008's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to army_wife1008
So glad you decided to come over here. I also had PPROM, but at 19w6d. I was able to stay pregnant for 24 more days...so there IS hope that you can make it a bit further! I had my son at 23w2d. The NICU was a very scary experience and very much a roller coaster but miraculously he is a beatiful, vibrant, healthy (almost) 3 year old now!

Statistically speaking, babies born after 27 weeks tend to have fewer complications that those born during weeks 24-26. Obviously every week helps but there is something about that 27 week mark. When my water broke the doctors told me that if there was ANY way I could make it to 27 weeks, it would make a HUGE difference. So you do have that going for you, but of course you are still looking at a relatively long NICU stay. I think the best think you can do is educate yourself on the NICU and what support your baby may need when she is born so it is not shocking to you once you see it.

Anyway, keep us posted, we have lots of really supportive ladies and we all understand how scary the NICU is. Hugs and prayers coming your way!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search