Tell us about your favorite NICU nurse

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I thought it might be nice for everybody to share a story about their favorite NICU nurse!

I'll start: Jim had a nurse named Laurie who was AMAZING with him. She and this other nurse used to argue over who was going to get to work with him each day (we loved the other nurse too). Anyway, the day that Jim moved into an open crib, the other nurse was working with him, and Laurie walked by his room and literally did a double take, and she came in and said, "Holy cow, is that Jim in a big boy bed?!?!" And she gave me a big hug and we both celebrated me being able to just reach down and touch him whenever I wanted. It felt good to know that somebody understood just what a big milestone that was for us, and how much it meant for me as a parent. It also meant a lot to know that someone was rooting for our little guy to succeed.

July 7th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Our favorite was M's primary at the hospital he was born at. Its kind of funny bec/ at first i liked another nurse but she got moved and Emily became his primary and we really grew to like her. Mostly, we liked her because it seemed like she really cared about him and not that she was just "babysitting" him like it seemed some of the other nurses were. She worked both day and night shift and a lot of times when we called in the morning to check on him she would say things like "oh well i had nothing to do last night so i was rocking him for a while and we worked on this and this and this". She ended up being there for many of his important days too, she was there when he opened both his eyes (two different days), she discovered his infection (then went on vacation for a week and felt horrible that she was leaving him while he was sick), and she let us hold him for the first time. She also ended up being there on the day he transferred out and we were so so happy that she was the one giving the "report" to the new hospital vs someone who barely knew him.

She used to follow our blog and kept up with his progress while he was in the other NICU also. I am lame and sort of let our blog fall by the wayside but i'm sure she would like to know what he's up too now. One cute story, when M went back to the hospital after he was released in July (2010) for his hernia surgery, we had planned to call down that night and see if she was working the next day so she could say hi to him (she hadnt seen him since March when he left and one day before his eye surgery in April)... well we were sitting in his room before he went to bed and someone knocked on the door. We just thought it was his regular nurse checking on him for the night but lo and behold it was Emily! Apparently she keeps all her primary kids in the system so that if any of them come back she sees their name pop up on her computer so she ran right up to see us. We had always meant to take a pic of him with her while he was in the NICU but had never gotten too it so we asked her if she would come back the next morning and take a pic with him and she did (and ended up just holding him for like a half hour after working all night)... i think that NICU has a reunion in August so hopefully we can take him, if not we're going to take a trip down there anyway at some point.

Just remembered another cute story, when he went back to the hospital in April for his eye surgery she was about to go on vacation but was working the day after he got there and she literally begged and begged to be switched to a different room for the day just so she could be him. It was funny bec/ while we were there we heard several nurses say to her "Oh hey didnt know you were here what the heck are you doing in room 3??" And she would just get all excited and say "My Michael is back!! I had to have him for the day!"

Last edited by Sam914; July 7th, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
July 23rd, 2011, 09:17 AM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cayden had some AWESOME nurses and some just downright awful ones. One of our very favorite was Cathleen. We waited to pick primary nurses until she could be his. The first night that I couldn't get to the hospital to see him because I was so tired and knew not to drive out there because I wouldn't be able to drive home she was his nurse. I didn't know her too well at that point, but when I called to check on him I ended up crying. She was so sweet and even went and held the phone near him so he could hear my voice and then told me how he responded. She made me feel so much better.

Thankfully, she was around him plenty and she was able to notice when he wasn't feeling well and she caught several infections early on that could have been fatal to him. She cared about Cayden and talked to him and loved him very much. When he went off the vent and to CPAP and was put in a big boy bed, we celebrated. Then when he had to go back to the vent and she came in and saw him reintubated she told us how she nearly lost it. She called him her work baby.

She was the first one to "feed" him and she helped us with his first bathtub bath and was just such a great nurse to our little guy. She was a good nurse to us too if you think about it. We certainly miss her. She even came out to visit him when he got home one time.

He had some great other nurses too. They cracked me up when they would bicker about who was going to get to do what with Cayden. He had a rotating primary list. He had another nurse, Sarah, that was there when he got put on CPAP and she was so excited that he was crying that when we called, she let us try to hear it over the phone too. She was also the one there when they discovered his fractures and was so gentle with him.

His nurse practitioners and respiratory therapists were amazing too. When he was doing much better and preparing to go to Level II, one of the NPs came by and talked to me and told me how they had many midnight conversations and how he needed to straighten his act up. I can't tell you how that touched my heart knowing that she cared enough about my child to sit there with him late and night and talk to him. The same for several of his RTs too.

Just amazing group of people.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search