Transferring between hospitals

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Was your baby transferred between hospitals? If so, what was that experience like? Which hospital did you prefer of the two?

July 7th, 2011, 10:45 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Nope. Because I was high risk, I delivered at a level 4 hospital with a NICU. None of my kids had serious enough problems to be transferred. My 4th did end up in the PICU a week after she came home. I liked the picu only because I could stay in the room with her. They understood more at the NICU though.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 7th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We were in two different hospitals and they couldnt have been more different! The hospital i was supposed to have M at, despite being a level 3 NICU, only takes babies 26 weeks and up and i was 25 weeks 2 days when my water broke. The original plan was to go to the other hospital for a week and come back, ha... yeah, that didnt work out

The hospital i delivered at was about an hour and a half (sometimes longer in traffic) from our house but it is one of the largest and best NICU's in the state. When i think about it now i'm actually glad that he was born there (though i hope if i have another we DON"T have to go there) bec/ they have far more experience with tiny babies then our local hospital. That hospital seems to mostly have larger preemies (30+ weeks) so i was glad that at his most fragile he was there. Overall he spent about 2 months there and it got very rough going back and forth with only 1 car and it being winter etc.

Our local NICU couldnt have been more different, they had about a quarter of the beds that the first one had and it felt homey. They would bring you drinks, you could do more for your baby etc there and most of all i could go EVERYDAY! It just felt like a small personal place rather then a big huge sterile place. There were only two doctors so they got to know the kids fairly well and it was just so different. As he got bigger (and more stable) it was nice to be in that environment vs the other. SO, i guess i liked them both for different reasons!

Also wanted to add that i'm pretty excited about being able to deliver at the local one next time (if i make it to 26 weeks) because they are going to be finishing up a brand spankin new NICU in January with ALL private rooms (with couches and tvs and stuff)

Last edited by Sam914; July 7th, 2011 at 12:02 PM.
July 7th, 2011, 11:27 PM
SassyMama's Avatar Fist Pumping Champ
Siera wasn't. To be honest, I picked my OBGYN by the hospital he delivered at. I wanted to make sure it had a good NICU. Who would've thought I'd actually need it..
July 9th, 2011, 07:59 PM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup we were. Liam was a week old when they moved him and we hated every second of it. The hospital we delivered in had a small NICU (just 2 rooms) and it was very intimate. He had the same nurses most days and they really cared for him. The "incubator" they moved him in was really scary.

The new hospital is way different because it has a ton of "pods" with about 7-8 babies in each. The nurses are a lot more strict and he has a different nurse almost every day. It's very annoying. He has 2 primary nurses but he only gets them when they are working.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search