Social security

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know we've talked about this before, but i'm frustrated with social security right now. M qualified for $30 dollars a month, hardly anything but he doesnt really have any lasting "issues" where he needs therapy or anything so it wasnt a big deal. We were under the impression (based upon a letter we got) that he would get it for the first year of his life. So he's still getting the checks every month and we've called them several times... finally, we get a hold of someone who knows what they are talking about and they tell us on yeah he still gets them because we never got discharge papers from the "institution" he lived in. No one told us were were supposed to send anything... so, they told us oh well send us those and he'll either qualify for more that he should have been getting for the 8 months he was out of the hospital before he turned 1 or he might not have qualified for anything for those 8 months and we'll have to pay back 240 dollars... i'm so annoyed. I dont really have that much money in a large chunk to just give back to them if it turns out he wasnt supposed to be getting anything after he got out of the hosp. Sigh! Did u all get SS? When did it stop? How much did you get? What were the reasons your LO got SS (did they need therapy, did they "just" have low birth weight etc)? I'm annoyed!

July 9th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, that stinks. I wish I had some useful advice, but Jim didn't qualify for social security because they said he was too healthy of a preemie (whatever THAT means).

July 10th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
yeah thats what i'm worried about... i know he got the 30 because he lived in an "institution" but then once he came home he didnt need therapy or anything thats what makes me nervous that we'll have to pay it back

July 11th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam914 View Post
yeah thats what i'm worried about... i know he got the 30 because he lived in an "institution" but then once he came home he didnt need therapy or anything thats what makes me nervous that we'll have to pay it back
I wonder if you could talk to them about repaying it over time? That way it's not a big hit all at once. Especially since it was their mistake, not yours.

You might also see if there's a legal aid group that does social security stuff near you, they might be able to give you some free advice about how to fix this.

July 11th, 2011, 09:55 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
My 25wkr is still getting ssi at 3.5yrs old. As long as we are under the income limit, she'll continue to get it until she's 18. We actually had the same thing happen. We didn't know we had to report she came home so we kept just getting the $30. When we got everything straightened out, we were given enough money to put a down payment on a vehicle. The only real disability she has now is glasses. She is considered low birth weight and that won't change.
I hope you're surprised and won't owe anything back.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 11th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmm, thanks for the info! So she "just" had low birthweight and nothing else except the glasses and still qualified based on low birth weight alone for the rest of her life? Do you mind me asking what your income level is? (you can PM me if you want...) you have a bunch more kids then i do though, maybe that matters? Who knows I appreciate the info!

July 11th, 2011, 04:04 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Well, right now we have no income but it's not all or nothing. The amount you get can vary from month to month. If you don't qualify anymore, the baby will still get medical for a year. We actually stopped qualifying for a few months but then my dh lost his job and because it was within that year, all we had to do was update our case. You should have a case worker that you can talk to. He can tell you the income limits (it's different from state to state) and if you get anything, you have to turn in paycheck stubs every month.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmm, see now i'm confused again bec/ we didnt qualify for any type of medical aide (which is fine because we have AMAZING inusurance) and if he had needed any therapy it would have been provided by the state for free. We called the social worker at the first hospital he was at (the one they still have him living in) but we havent heard back from her yet. O well, guess all i can do is wait and see.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search