Michaels 18 month and eye appointments

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So heres the report from Mr Michaels appointments today.

He had his 18 month check up today and he is almost 23 lbs and 32 inches, so he's 10% weight and 25-50% for height which is what he's been since his birthday so thats exactly what i thought. I actually thought he weighed a little more but he's SO active and never sits still plus he's getting two teeth and when he teeths he goes on a hunger strike, so i guess it makes sense. He looks like a nice solid boy so thats all that matters He was very pleased so see him walking and basically running all over the room when he walked in. Talking however, thats a different story... he wants us to sign up for speech therapy. I totally expected this because after a year old his doctor tries to get him on track with his actual age not his adjusted, so, the fact that he's not even up to par with his adjusted age definitely = therapy. So, we're getting that set up soon. Our state has free therapy programs so thats nice that it wont cost us anything and they come to the house so if i have too i can do it while dh is at work

After the regular doc we went to the eye doctor...basically he is a little near sighted (which i expected) but its not that bad and since toddlers live in what she called "a close world" its not really going to impact his life right now so we can hold off on glasses for now (if he had been farsighted he would have gotten them today, since you kinda need to see up close, kwim?). Shes going to see him again in 4 months and if he's had a significant change then he'll probably get them then. I'm quite relieved because i really had NO idea how we would keep them on his face (he hates sunglasses, hats, shoes, bibs...basically anything that isnt clothes). So yay, thats about it... pretty uneventful!

July 14th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So glad it went well! I'll be interested to hear what kind of glasses you end up getting for him when he needs them. We need to get Jim's eyes checked because I'm fairly certain he needs glasses--everybody in our entire extended families is near-sighted, so he was going to need them eventually, and now that he's a year out from kindergarten, it's getting to be time.

Jim didn't really get into talking until right after his 18-month check up (so, right after he was 15 months corrected age) and they never suggested speech therapy--which turns out to be fine because now we can't get Mr. Motormouth to shut up, and he has a huge vocabulary for a kid his age. How convenient that it's free and they'll come to your house for speech therapy!!!

July 14th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I mentioned to the doc that i'm pretty sure it would be impossible to keep them on and she mentioned ones with the strap that goes around his head (he has sunglasses like this and HATES them) and ones that go all the way around the back of his ear... I'm not sure he'll go for it but we'll have to try! She also said that a lot of times ones kids get them on and realize that they can actually see with them on then they actually dont mind wearing them. I hadnt really thought of that, but i still dont think he's quite old enough to understand that concept anyway... maybe in 4 months he'll get it (if they decide to give them to him then). but yeah, i mean with the ROP i knew it was just a matter of time really, and nearly everyone in both dh and my familes (except dh, of course...lucky jerk) are nearsighted so

As for the talking, yeah... i dunno. The Dr. said they look for about 3 words by 15 months which he's not doing (he's 15 months adjusted on the 20th). He sort of says Mama and Dada, but thats about it and its more like MAMAMAMAMAMAMAAAAAAAAAAMAMMAMAA directed at me, or sometimes, the wall. So, yeah. I'm hoping he'll suddenly explode and we wont need it, but i also dont mind him getting a little extra help if he needs it, kwim? It'll be kind of funny if he does talk before we can get him evaluated bec/ at his 12 month (9 mo adjusted) they asked about crawling which he wasnt doing yet, then about a week later he started, then at his 15 month (12 mo adjusted) they asked about walking and a few days after the appointment he started walking! Ha... he's such a crazy kid.

oh, i forgot heres a recent pic from 4th of July

Last edited by Sam914; July 14th, 2011 at 04:06 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search