Nursing a preemie

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2011, 01:43 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Has anyone successfully nursed a preemie? Right now, I am still supplementing with bottles 6 times a day. I try to nurse at night but honestly, when she nurses, I don't think she does much. If I give her a bottle (we're using breastflow bottles) she'll continue sucking until it's gone but if I nurse, she falls asleep.

I'm wondering if she'll eventually just get it or if I'm going to have to plan everything around pumping for the next year.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 16th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Ducky's mama
I had soooo many problems getting Declan to nurse. He came home at 1.5 months, taking almost everything by bottle... but with perserverance, domperidone, and plenty of tears and anxieties on the way, he was nursing almost fulltime in January. I'm a little busy this evening so I can't type more... but if you have ANY questions, or if I can be of any help.. please let me know

Thank you Thank you Thank you to Alethia for my awesome siggy!

July 17th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Delekatala's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Delekatala
I couldn't manage, so I pumped until my supply was gone. It was very frustrating for me, but Lily was so so teeny.
July 18th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I tried a couple times in the NICU but he'd desat every time. Since desats were the thing keeping him there, I decided to stop trying until he came home. Then when we tried it at home, he'd scream bloody murder any time my boob got near him. So I figured, "This is not a good bonding experience for either of us" and just pumped. I managed to go a year exclusively pumping. I figured by then he was ridiculously fat and plenty healthy, and by the time our freezer stash was gone, he was ready for whole milk.

This time around, I'm really hoping to nurse, preemie or no preemie...but I also know that stuff happens and I just have to roll with it.

July 19th, 2011, 01:39 AM
tetchy's Avatar N.A.K.
I feel like I've been pretty successful with both my dd and ds. Both of them just picked up latching around 3mos. I would try with or with out the shield but, that never went very well. So I pumped and pumped. Then just one day they woke up and decided to latch.

A couple of things that really helped me is try to latch sort of between bottle feedings when your babe isn't extremely hungry and cranky. She'll have more focus and be more apt to try new things.

I only used the sns, supplemental nursing system, a few times but, I feel like it really helped. Ds latched soon after I started using it. I feel like it helped him realize "Hey, this is just as good as a bottle".

I still pump so I can give fortified bottles a couple of times a day but, he is doing so well bfing that he almost likes eating with mama more than the bottle now

Beautiful Piggy By Julieta Beautiful Soggy By Beautiful Saggy By Julita raBeautiful Siggy By Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search