Introducing Miss Ava Belle

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2011, 03:35 AM
army_wife1008's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to army_wife1008
First off I want to thank Beth for keeping you all posted!

I can't believe we are in the NICU again. But here we are, and so far this experience has been SO different already! Just a quick background of how Ava came into this world:

Last Monday I started feeling pretty crampy and was pretty sure I lost some of my mucous plug. I had a Peri appt the next day so I just waited it out. On Tuesday at my Peri appointment, we discovered that my cervix was already 1.5cm dilated and pretty close to fully effaced. The decision was immediately made my by doctor to admit me and keep me on strict hospital bedrest until either 28 weeks, or longer, depending on what happened.

We went straight to the hospital and checked me, in. I was of course a complete wreck at this point. I was 25w4d. I was able to get both steroid shots thank goodness. I was started on magnesium sulfate...boy is that stuff fun. They only kept me on for a day and a half and then took me up and moved me to antepartum. I lasted about 4 hours up there before I started having regular contractions again that the baby was not tolerating. Back down to L&D I went where I was put BACK on Mag and then later on a drug called Endocin that works wonders but can only be used for 72hours. My last dose of that was Monday night and I KNEW that I would be having a baby Tuesday.

On Saturday's u/s the baby was head down, but I was nervous as I had been feeling TONS of movement from the baby. When things started to get serious on Tuesday, they did an ultrasound only to find that baby turned breech. The doc checked me and my membranes had ruptured so I had to go for a c-section right away, he could feel baby's butt! It was terrifiying but my husband made it just in time for the section! They pulled the baby out and I could NOT believe my ears when they annoucned "It's a girl!!" She came out screaming and pink and beautiful! She was born at 10:08am on July 19th at 26w4d and a whopping 2 lbs 6oz! We can NOT get over how big she is!!

She did NOT need to be intubated...only long enough to give surfactant and then they pulled the tube and put her on CPAP. She came off CPAP yesterday already and has only been on a high flow cannula 3 liters of room air! It is just amazing how well she is doing. She looks amazing and I have already been able to hold her and love on her a bunch. We are praying she just continues to chug along like she is doing. but we obviously know too well what a journey we have ahead of us.

Anyway, that was really LONG! Sorry! Here are some pics!!

3 hours old

This same ring fit all the way up Travie's leg! She is so big!

I love this one

She has so much hair!

July 21st, 2011, 05:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Shes beautiful!! And doing SO great! Cannula already, wow!

July 21st, 2011, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Chelsea, I just cannot get over how well she's doing!!! If this had to happen to you again--and boy, do I wish it hadn't!--I am just so relieved that she is doing so well!!! And I can't believe she's on a canula already, that is just ridiculous. Why does she have to show up all the other preemies by being so fabulous? Is she even under bililights? It doesn't look like it from the photos...

Also, seriously, could she BE any more gorgeous? Travis better get ready for Mean Big Brother duties chasing off all the boys!!!

How are you feeling? How are her feeds going so far?

July 21st, 2011, 09:25 AM
She is so cute. Love the Hair!
July 21st, 2011, 04:00 PM
army_wife1008's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to army_wife1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlite View Post
Chelsea, I just cannot get over how well she's doing!!! If this had to happen to you again--and boy, do I wish it hadn't!--I am just so relieved that she is doing so well!!! And I can't believe she's on a canula already, that is just ridiculous. Why does she have to show up all the other preemies by being so fabulous? Is she even under bililights? It doesn't look like it from the photos...

Also, seriously, could she BE any more gorgeous? Travis better get ready for Mean Big Brother duties chasing off all the boys!!!

How are you feeling? How are her feeds going so far?
You are TOO sweet Beth!

I agree, I am so thankful that this experience has been SO drastically different so far. Obviously I expect some setbacks and stuff but she is just blowing us all away with how well she is doing, it's really hard to believe! She has been on 2liters of high flow all day and just chuggin along. She does the typical apnea/brady/desat thing from time to time but nothing major. I am so proud of her! I can't wait to see how Travie is with her, I so picture him being a protective big brother!

Her feeds are going well so far. She will be up to 4ml every 3 hours by tonight, so that is exciting and I am pumping about 3oz every 2 hrs now. It keeps increasing every time I pump.

I am sore and today feeling quite hormonal. I really don't like the nurse she has right now so that is irritating me a LOT, but otherwise I am doing well.
July 21st, 2011, 10:56 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
She is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing pics with us. I still can't believe how well she is doing. My 28wkr was that size but I still think it's tiny. I hope she is just a feeder grower and she goes home soon. What a cutie. Congratulations again!

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 23rd, 2011, 07:59 AM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am just in awe of Miss Ava! What a fighter she is...I think it runs in her family =)

I'm still praying for you Chelsea. She is just a gorgeous little girl.

July 23rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
Special_K's Avatar Veteran
Congrats! I wish you and your family all the best. She is ADORABLE!

July 25th, 2011, 03:59 AM
tetchy's Avatar N.A.K.
I'm so glad to hear your beautiful preemie baby is doing so well. She is so cute!

And I love your new siggy.

Beautiful Piggy By Julieta Beautiful Soggy By Beautiful Saggy By Julita raBeautiful Siggy By Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*

August 3rd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She's beautiful! Congratulations!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search