Questions from the Newbie

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am still very new to being a preemie mom and I was hoping you ladies could help me with a few questions.

What was the criteria for you loved ones to come home?

Did your l/o spend time in a level 2 nursery before they came home?

At what gestational age did he/she come home?

Were you able to successfully breastfeed? If yes, how difficult was it to start? Did your l/o go through a bottle stage or straight from a feeding tube?

Did you have issues with tachycardia? Chloe has been off the CPAP since last Wednesday, but since then her heart rate has gone up more than 20 beats per minute, and she's gone over 200 quite a few times. I'm wondering if it means she's working too hard being off the CPAP. Her respiration rate and pulse ox has been fine.

Sorry for the novel, but I am trying to get an idea of what to expect. Thanks!

August 4th, 2011, 05:53 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What was the criteria for you loved ones to come home? Our NICU required the baby to weigh 4lbs at least, be eating on demand and holding their weight or gaining, and to be able to hold their temperature and to have no bradys or apnea for 7 days.

Did your l/o spend time in a level 2 nursery before they came home? Our NICU is a level 3 and then they have what they call a step-down unit in the same area as the NICU. So I think the step-down unit is a level 2. But, like I said, it was in the same area, so really I don't think they made the distinction.

At what gestational age did he/she come home?
She was 38 weeks (two weeks before her due date).

Were you able to successfully breastfeed? If yes, how difficult was it to start? Did your l/o go through a bottle stage or straight from a feeding tube? Yes, BUT, our NICU required that they eat from a bottle without gagging and such FIRST. We weren't allowed to start bottle feeding until baby was 33 weeks gestation and that was only if they were doing well in other areas. I think Sarah Beth started that around 35 weeks because she had a lot of breathing issues and didn't even get onto a cannula for a LONG time. I'd have to look back at my calendar to tell you for sure, but I know she did that last before she came home and did well eating so it went pretty quick. Maybe she started at 36 weeks? I'm just not sure. I breastfed her, but I wouldn't call it completely successful. We ended up pumping because I had to supplement her so much. She took right to the breast, but she was still TINY and my boob was HUGE... LOL. It was hard to get her to open her mouth wide enough to get the nipple all the way in, you know what I mean? We pumped for a long time though.

Did you have issues with tachycardia? Only when she received caffeine. Has Chloe gotten that? Sometimes the tachy is a result of them working hard, sometimes it is just a normal response. She is very young still and has a lot of things to work out.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 4th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What was the criteria for you loved ones to come home? Must be eating all meals on his own (no gastric tube), maintaining temp on his own (no incubator) and no bradys/desats/apneas for 5 days straight. It was the last thing that kept us there the longest.

Did your l/o spend time in a level 2 nursery before they came home? Yes. Our hospital had both a Level 3 and a Level 2. Jim started in Level 3 and spent 5 weeks there, then transitioned down to the Level 2 and spent 4 weeks there before coming home.

At what gestational age did he/she come home? 36 weeks 2 days, he was exactly 9 weeks old.

Were you able to successfully breastfeed? If yes, how difficult was it to start? Did your l/o go through a bottle stage or straight from a feeding tube?

Nope, we weren't able to breastfeed. When I tried it in the hospital, Jim would desat, and since desats were keeping him in the hospital, I gave up and we stuck to bottles until he came home. Then when he was at home and I tried to nurse him, he'd scream bloody murder. It felt AWFUL emotionally for me, and I quickly realized that I wasn't doing either of us any favors by putting us through his screaming sessions. So, I just stuck to pumping--luckily I made TONS of milk that way, so he still got the health benefits of breast milk.

Did you have issues with tachycardia? No, we were lucky with his heart.

August 4th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What was the criteria for you loved ones to come home? In our NICU you had to be off oxygen, be taking all feeds by mouth within a half hour of starting drinking, maintain body temp and be 5lbs. He also had to go 7 days with no brady's or apnea spells. Then we had to room in over night. And of course he had to pass his carseat test

Did your l/o spend time in a level 2 nursery before they came home? Nope, he spent all 115 days in two level 3 NICU's (we had him transferred from the hospital he was born at to our local hosp)

At what gestational age did he/she come home? 12 days after his due date, i had a slow learner

I did not nurse and did not have any issues with that

August 4th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What was the criteria for you loved ones to come home? They had to be over 4 pounds, eat from a bottle or breast for 48 hours, breathing on their own. Their was of course exceptions to each thing.

Did your l/o spend time in a level 2 nursery before they came home? McKenzie said in the level 3 because her sister was still their. It made it easier for us to have the girls together.

At what gestational age did he/she come home? McKenzie came home at 37 weeks. Madison passed away about 10 weeks after her due date. She had a CDH.

Were you able to successfully breastfeed? If yes, how difficult was it to start? Did your l/o go through a bottle stage or straight from a feeding tube? We tried breastfeeding McKenzie. She did not take to it, and it was about the same time they started feeding Madison. It was more important for Madison to get breastmilk and did not make enough for both so I pumped for Madison and gave formula to McKenzie.

Did you have issues with tachycardia? Chloe has been off the CPAP since last Wednesday, but since then her heart rate has gone up more than 20 beats per minute, and she's gone over 200 quite a few times. I'm wondering if it means she's working too hard being off the CPAP. Her respiration rate and pulse ox has been fine. McKenzie did not have that issue.
August 6th, 2011, 12:25 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I've had more than 1 preemie so I'll try and answer these for all.

What was the criteria for you loved ones to come home? All had to be 4lbs, maintain own temp, gaining weight, no desat or bradys for 7 days although they counted ones with feedings different. They also had to be taking all feeds by mouth. One of my babies we had to wait for her eyes to mature (she had ROP).

Did your l/o spend time in a level 2 nursery before they came home? They didn't really have a separate nursery but they did move the babies that were doing well into a group together.

At what gestational age did he/she come home? 36, 37, 36, 34, 38, 40, 36

All except my first went to breast first. After about a week of nursing, we started bottles but nursed as often as possible. I nursed some successfully to a year or more. A couple I had to stop at 3 and 6 months because I just dried up. All of them I pumped and gave bottles with extra calories although I was able to mostly nurse. I think nursing got tons easier around their due date when they were easier to keep awake for feedings.

Did you have issues with tachycardia? Yes but minor. They didn't really worry about it. With my last, she would get agitated if there were people talking too loud and her heart would race. It slowed down if I just held her.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
August 10th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone! The nurse said that they may try Chloe on the breast as early as next week. I asked and she is on caffeine, so that would probably explain the increase in her heart rate. The nurse also told me that, if it weren't for her liver issues, she would be in good stable enough to be transferred to a level 2 nursery closer to home. I know she can't be transferred, but it is nice to know that she is doing pretty well with the preemie issues. Now if the liver stuff would just clear up completely, I could (maybe) relax a tad.

August 10th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Laurie~ View Post
Thanks everyone! The nurse said that they may try Chloe on the breast as early as next week. I asked and she is on caffeine, so that would probably explain the increase in her heart rate. The nurse also told me that, if it weren't for her liver issues, she would be in good stable enough to be transferred to a level 2 nursery closer to home. I know she can't be transferred, but it is nice to know that she is doing pretty well with the preemie issues. Now if the liver stuff would just clear up completely, I could (maybe) relax a tad.
I think Jim was able to start bottle feeds and attempting nursing (even though it never worked out for us to nurse) at around 32 weeks. So given the liver issues Chloe has, 34 weeks seems right about the right time to start nursing. I hope it goes well!

August 12th, 2011, 07:13 AM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What was the criteria for you loved ones to come home? He had to pass a car seat test, be at least 4lbs, take all feedings by bottle, be off caffeine, no bradys or desats for 7 days, maintain his body temp, and consistently gain weight.

Did your l/o spend time in a level 2 nursery before they came home? Nope, we ended up in an isolation POD (after 5 moves) because he had some MRSA in his nose. We had to be discharged from this room.

At what gestational age did he/she come home? 40 weeks exactly

Were you able to successfully breastfeed? If yes, how difficult was it to start? Did your l/o go through a bottle stage or straight from a feeding tube? We did not BF in the hospital because he was still on oxygen. I did nuzzle a couple times and he latched on a bit. He latched on once at home because he was screaming his head off for the bottle and it was ice cold still!

Did you have issues with tachycardia? Nope, none.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search