New mother to a preemie~ *Update #1* w/ Pics!!

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2011, 12:38 PM
hippie hugs's Avatar Proud Mama to a Preemie
Hello everyone.

I was so happy to find a preemie/NICU board on JM, especially when my DH and I lack a support system in our new home (we just moved here a few months ago); my son was due September 24th, but decided he rather come August 8th at 2lbs and 15 ounces, nearly 16 inches long. I was -just- over 33 weeks at the time of his birth, and am now making regular trips to a hospital 1.5 hours away to see our little Roan in the NICU.

It's definitely been scary, but our little man is doing amazing. He's eating 13cc of breast-milk with each feeding as of today, has little residual, and should be off his IV feed within the week. He'll likely remain on oxygen until he comes home due to our altitude (9500 ft), though after reading through the oxygen post here on the board, I feel more confident about it.

And .. Yeah. We've faced a lot of ugly comments - preemies having stunted growth, advanced sexual growth, etc - but as a preemie myself (I was born at 32 weeks with a NICU stay of 27 days), and seeing how I am -not- any of these things.. I try to let it in one ear and out the other. I know my man is strong - he has the lungs to prove it! - so it'll be an important battle to keep my chin up.

And that is my condensed story!

**UPDATE**

Roan is now 35 weeks, and weighs 3lbs 8oz. He's taking in an ounce of breastmilk per feeding, and is working on nippling! Goodness, how he's grown! He's officially off his IV, no longer on O2, and is able to regulate his own temperature (he typically runs a little hot, but I think he gets that from his parents).

I'm crossing my fingers he'll be home by his 37th week, but he'll have to take all his feedings from a bottle first. He's doing remarkably well, and I'm very proud of my little soldier.

Now with pictures:

Shortly after his birth:

Compared to a week later:

My boys:

And now at one week, six days!:

Thank you Claire1979 for the amazing siggy!

Last edited by hippie hugs; August 21st, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
August 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM
TKbunny's Avatar Elias's slave..err..Mommy
Congrats on the little one! And wow, 13 cc is good I think. Don't fret over the ugly comments too much. My husband was 3 months early, only around 2 pounds (can't recall the exact weight) and he was in the hospital for over 3 months and he is one of the smartest people I know! He works for the state as an IT tech and for the State Police, he's one of the top guys in his department. He's tall and other than a slight hearing issue in one ear, nothing that would ever let anyone know he was such an early little guy. Besides, with your little one's mom coming to see him all the time, he's got all the love he needs to grow him up big and strong!

Congrats again! He's beautiful

Last edited by TKbunny; August 13th, 2011 at 04:52 PM.
August 13th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome, and congrats on the birth of your son!!! I'm so glad Roan is doing so well, that is great news! I had no idea preemies at altitude stay on oxygen, but of course that makes perfect sense. Exciting that he's coming off IV feeds soon!

Definitely ignore the ugly comments. My son Jim was 3 months early, and he's 4 now and 100% normal...or at least as normal as any 4-year-old can be. It seems like outcomes for preemies these days are MUCH better than they used to be, medicine has come a long way in the last 15-20 years.

August 13th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats on your baby boy and welcome! My twinlets were 28 weekers and are now fat, happy, sassy 29 month olds

Lucky mother to five!

August 14th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! My daughter was due September 28th but born July 14th. I am still new to this, but I don't think that preemies are in a lot of danger of being stunted etc. The doctors have never mentioned this to me, anyway. As far as I know, 33 weekers do very well.

August 17th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Ducky's mama
Welcome and congrats! Glad to hear Roan is doing well . Please ignore the negative comments! Some people think they know more than they do.. I don't think preemies are destined to be small forever... unless they've got short parents like my little guy does . I don't expect my boy will be a basketball player, but he certainly is as healthy and happy (maybe even more so) than his peers.

Thank you Thank you Thank you to Alethia for my awesome siggy!

August 17th, 2011, 06:23 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome!! I'm Beth, mommy to a former 27 weeker (1lb10ozs) daughter who is now 5, smart, sassy, strong, and growing great and to a 35 weeker (4lb8oz) son who is now 14 months old and doing fabulous. I also have two other children... one who is in heaven and another son who I'm soon to adopt.

I can't believe some of the things you have heard. I'm so sorry you have such crass people around you! Ugh! It sounds like your son is doing wonderfully! Congratulations!!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 20th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Thank you all! It's really empowering to read your success stories, and honestly helps soothe my concerns. It amazes me how often people want to share the most horrific things they can think of, especially when they lack any proof behind their statements...

Wow! Some of your LO's were born super early! It's so great to hear they're doing well.

August 20th, 2011, 08:06 PM
I am so glad he is doing so great!
August 21st, 2011, 06:38 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great update! Glad he is doing so well!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 21st, 2011, 07:03 AM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your baby! Great update =)

People are pretty dang rude and don't know how to keep comments to themselves. Don't listen to them though. Preemies are incredible little things.

My son was born at 31 weeks, but was only 1lb 5.9oz and spent quite a bit of time in NICU. Despite some delays, he is doing amazingly well - quite a spitfire too!

Tami

August 21st, 2011, 07:48 AM
It just floors me how people can be! As though you don't have enough to worry about, they have to give you something else to chew on. Ugh.

Pics now included! I heard a rumor you ladies like pictures~

August 21st, 2011, 05:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OMG he's so adorable!!! Keeping my fingers crossed that he does OK on his feeds and you can bring him home soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search