New here with preemie

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2011, 08:54 AM
AngelaMarie's Avatar Owen's Mommy
Hi everyone. My daughter Aubrey Hope was born yesterday at 31 weeks gestation. I developed mild preeclampsia last Friday. By yesterday it had gone from mild to severe so I had an emergency c-section. Prior to her birth we had been told Aubrey has a congenital heart defect (Tetralogy of Fallot) bilateral club feet, and some vertebrates and ribs that are malformed. I'm not sure which of the above she still has. She was air ambulanced to Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis shortly after birth. I'm still not allowed out of bed so I have only seen photos of her. I am getting frustrated though. The nurses at the NICU there are giving me great updates but can't really answer any of my specific questions. I was told all evening a doctor would call me and one never did. I was told her doctor would call me today and still nothing so far. I just thought I'd introduce myself knowing this is going to be quite a roller coaster ride. We do know they are supposed to try and extubate her today. I'm hoping I get discharged quickly so I can head over and see her.

August 16th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Angela! I was hoping we wouldn't need to see you on this forum, but now that Aubrey has been born, I'm glad you found your way to us! First off, she is GORGEOUS, congratulations!!!

I can only imagine how rough it must be not being able to see her. I know we have a few moms around here who went through that. I'd be really frustrated that the doctor hasn't called, and the next time I spoke to a nurse, I'd probably make a bit of a stink--be polite but firm. Your child is in one hospital and you're in another and it's pretty uncool for the doc not to call you. Like I said, be polite to the nurses because it's almost certainly not their fault the doc hasn't called, but I'd make it clear that you're scared for your daughter and just want some answers, and the longer you wait, the more scared you get.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that they can extubate her today--that's a really good sign if they can, especially considering she has a heart condition!

Feel free to post with questions, there are some really knowledgeable moms around here!

August 16th, 2011, 05:11 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Angela! You already know us!!

Rylan and Dakota were also born @ 31 weeks. Rylan has lots going on

Definitely make a HUGE stink about the doctor calling! Let them know you mean business and your not going to tolerate this! I have found you definitely need to let them know you aren't going to be walked all over! Hang in there love!

And another piece of advice, celebrate all her little milestones, even if she takes two steps back and one step forward!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
August 16th, 2011, 07:25 PM
shannonranee
Congrats on your baby girl - she is beautiful. hopefully you can get to see her and get some answers soon.
August 17th, 2011, 04:40 AM
AngelaMarie's Avatar Owen's Mommy
Thank you everyone. I had a good talk with the doctors there yesterday and since then everyone who has seen her has called me. They even called me after 6:30 rounds this morning so I'm really happy. There's a good chance I will be discharged today so I can finally see her.

I want to take her a million things from home so she can have things of ours near her but know not to over do it. Does anyone have any advice what are good things to take her? Blankets, stuffed animals maybe?
August 17th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Ducky's mama
Congrats on your sweet little girl! I'm glad the Dr's got back to you. Definitely put the pressure on them if they get slack about it. Also, don't be afraid to ask them and the nurses anything! Even if you've already asked the same question 10 times. There is so much going on that it's easy to forget what they've told you, and unless you have a medical degree, sometimes it's hard to make sense of what they are telling you unless you keep asking.

I hope you are able to see her soon! I didn't see my little guy until he was over 12 hrs old and it was all I could think about.

In our NICU, we were allowed to bring blankets and clothes to use (clothes once they get a little older and are out of the incubator). We brought a couple stuffed animals, but were not allowed to put them in the incubator. Instead we used them to decorate his "area". We also made a sign with pictures of each of us (pets included), and his name and weight and all that, so that the staff could get to know us, and to decorate some more. My daughter also drew a picture for him and we put that up. If you do bring things from home, make sure you mark them well so that they don't get mixed up with the hospital stuff. We had stickers printed off for his milk bags, and we just used some of those.

My husband was born with tetralogy of fallot. If you have any questions about how it has affected him through childhood and as an adult, please ask!

Thank you Thank you Thank you to Alethia for my awesome siggy!

August 17th, 2011, 05:27 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the board and congratulations on your sweet baby girl!

Ask your NICU what you can bring. I'm sure that the blankets are fine. In our NICU the small stuffed animals were fine. We also decorated her isolette with written prayers and blessings from our church family and put up scriptures on there. Obviously we are very big into our faith and it was what helped us get through the NICU, so that's why we did all that. We also put up a picture of us beside her.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 17th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
In our NICU, we weren't allowed to put any soft materials in the isolette, so, no stuffed animals, no blankets other than the hospital ones. We did bring in our own clothes for Jim, but he wasn't allowed to wear any clothes at first. So, just be prepared that you might not be able to put things in there with her. That would be a good question to ask the nurse the next time they talk to you.

So glad the doc called you back--how are things going with her?

August 17th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran
congrats on your little girl, I hope she's off the ventilator quickly. She looks beautiful and looks to be a good size

When my little girl was born my mom and I made her some teeny little blankets that we were allowed to use to cover her up or use underneath her, and I also had a special little angel bear that we were allowed to put at the foot of her isolette. I find most NICU's are different in their rules, so just ask them. make sure you label everything though the nurses have a habit of just chucking it all into the bin.

good look I hope everything goes well

Come check out my crafting forum everyone is welcome!
http://www.calgarycrafters.com
August 21st, 2011, 06:16 AM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on Miss Aubrey! She is gorgeous!

I'm sorry you had such a rough go with the doctors. It sounds like you have it worked out now though.

How is she doing now?

As far as things you can take, ask your NICU. It varies on what they allow and when they allow things. We could have a small item to put in his bed, a blanket, little hats, and a small picture or two of us. When he got older and much stronger, we were allowed to have his clothes and a mobile on his crib, MP3 player, etc.

Tami

August 21st, 2011, 06:54 AM
hippie hugs's Avatar Proud Mama to a Preemie
Congrats, congrats, congrats!

Your daughter is absolutely beautiful! I agree, really celebrate those milestones, no matter how silly it feels. They're such huge steps for our LO's.

I really hope you get to see her soon! I was in the hospital for nearly a week, and it was two solid days before I had a chance to see my son. DH visited him several times a day and took pictures for me, but it doesn't quite compare to seeing your baby in person... Crossing my fingers you get to see her ASAP. I'm sure she'd appreciate her mother's love and touch right now.

My NICU allows us to bring things from home, so we've brought Roan a stuffed animal, clothes (all with our name on them - really label things!) and a prayer bag full of positive thoughts.

Thank you Claire1979 for the amazing siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search