New here, mom of twin preemies

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM
adnelg775's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello girls,
My name is Glenda and I had pPROM at 26 weeks 3 days, and delivered my boy/girl twins via c-section 1 week later, at 27 weeks 3 days...on my birthday!
My boy Thomas was 2lbs 3 oz and 13" , and my girl Sarah was 2lbs 4 oz and 14.5". They are currently in the NICU and doing well, they are on nasal cannula and continuous feeds (no more IV's) through their OG tubes. I got an abcess in my abdomen and an infected incision, and had to return to the hospital for 9 days...just got out yesterday. I have been having a lot of anxiety about all kinds of things, but am doing better since coming home. I look forward to getting to know you all better, I hope to be able to keep up with this board...it feels like the right place to be.

August 17th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome, Glenda! My name is Beth, and my son was also born at 27 weeks after I PPROM'd. I only managed to keep him in there 3 days after the PPROM, but it was just long enough to get the steroid shots. He spent 9 weeks in the NICU and is now a perfectly normal, healthy 4-year-old. I hope it'll be the same for you with your twins!

I'm sorry about the abscess, that is scary, but glad you're on the mend!

Feel free to post questions as they come up, the NICU can be pretty overwhelming...oh, and if you get a chance, post a pic of them, we love to ooh and aah over each other's kids around here.

August 17th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Hi Beth, we were in the October DDC together, but I was not very active at all. I am going to try and be more active on this board. Here are some pics, Sarah is wearing the pink hat.

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...rBabies009.jpg

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/IMG_0158.jpg

August 18th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Ducky's mama
Welcome Glenda Your babies are so cute! I'm Jana, mom to Declan. He was born at 30 weeks due to pre-eclampsia.

Anxiety is perfectly normal at this point. It's all so new and hectic and the NICU isn't always an easy place to be. Make sure you ask questions when you have them, and be as hands on with your babies as you can be. I found that helped a lot.

Thank you Thank you Thank you to Alethia for my awesome siggy!

August 18th, 2011, 07:29 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome and congratulations on your twins! They are gorgeous! I'm so glad you have gotten to hold them already and that they are both already on the NC! That's awesome!

I'm Beth. I have a Sarah too... Sarah Beth was born at 26.6weeks and weighed 1lb 10ozs. She is now 5 and doing perfectly wonderful. She was my NICU baby. I also have a son in heaven, a 4 year old son we're working on adopting and a 1 year old son who was born at 35 weeks but got to come home with me from the hospital.

Feel free to jump in and ask questions! Keep us posted on all the things your little ones and you are doing.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 21st, 2011, 06:11 AM
Chatterbox's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What beautiful little babies you have! Congrats on your twins. How amazing that they are on nasal cannula and you are getting to snuggle with them. =)

I'm Tami and my son, Cayden, was born at 31 weeks. He was 1lb 5.9 oz and is now 2.5 and doing great.

Ask away if you have questions. The ladies here are wonderful and supportive.

August 21st, 2011, 06:37 AM
hippie hugs's Avatar Proud Mama to a Preemie
Hi Glenda! Welcome, and super !

How exciting! Twins! They're absolutely gorgeous! And I'm glad to hear they're doing so well.

I'm Sami, and I'm also rather new here. I just had my first little one (a boy) on August 8th, and he weighed 2lbs 15oz. He's now 3lbs 9oz, and doing amazing. It's definitely had to leave a LO in the NICU, so I can't imagine what it's like to leave two. But I'm sure they'll do fantastic. Our preemies are strong little soldiers.

Thank you Claire1979 for the amazing siggy!

August 21st, 2011, 06:49 AM
Thanks ladies!

I actually don't get to snuggle with them. I have a wound vac on my c-section incision and they won't let me hold them until I am done with that. I haven't held my babies since August 3rd...
I want to more than anything else in the world, I know it is good for them, and will do wonders for my milk production. I can't seem to keep up with them, and they get formula at least half of the time.

My mental state seems to be improving, no crying now for two days straight! I am starting to feel more like my old self.

I hope everyone else is doing well too!

August 21st, 2011, 04:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Glenda, I hope you'll be able to hold them soon--that's one of the roughest parts of the NICU, the days when you can't hold your child. But I'm glad you're starting to feel better!

August 21st, 2011, 05:25 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congratulations and welcome!
August 21st, 2011, 07:41 PM
Congrats on your twins! I also had pprom at 26 weeks. I delived my Georgia exactly 1 week later and she weighed 2 lb .5 oz. We are on our 7 week in the NICU
August 22nd, 2011, 04:57 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't get to hold Sarah Beth at all until she was over a month old. I can recommend to ask every nurse, every shift, every time you are there. Some are more confident than others.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 22nd, 2011, 06:06 AM
Beth I came to the same conclusion yesterday, and I asked the nurse. And they let me hold my son for the first time in almost 3 weeks! I had to wear a plastic gown, and there was no skin to skin allowed, but it was better than not being able to hold him at all.
I argued that my wound was no longer infected, had been cultured, and that I had been on the correct antibiotics for 2 weeks. Also, my wound is covered in an airtight dressing, and if it wasn't airtight, the little machine I wear on my hip would be beeping an alarm. Logically, I knew I was right. My wound is probably the cleanest thing in that hospital.
Today I will ask to hold my little girl, and I am hoping that the staff will see things my way again.

August 22nd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is great news, I'm so glad you were able to hold your son! You're right, your wound probably IS the cleanest thing in that whole hospital.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search