Needing some encouragment

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hello, I am in some need of encouraging words. Georgia is doing ok but she keeps going back and forth on her oxygen. She does great at 2 liters at 21% but as soon as they try and ween her down to 1.5 liters she desats like crazy. I know that she is still 6 weeks premature and that she is doing great on everything else, its just a little down heartening to see her not improving on this.

On the plus side, she breastfeed for the first time today and she did awsome! She knew what she needed to do lol.
August 22nd, 2011, 07:45 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oxygen saturations are just hard for some kiddos. My daughter was on oxygen for 6 months. She still runs right around 95% normally. But I'm sure that at this level, on 21% Oxygen (room air) she'll be off it very soon. Have they spoken of sending her home with it for a while? That in and of itself shouldn't hold you up going home as long as she is stable on that low of a flow already. It is very frustrating, but she really is doing AMAZING!!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 22nd, 2011, 08:47 PM
No talk of her going home with it yet though I think that she might. Which is not the worse thing by far. Im not even really upset if she does go home on it. I think its just the back and forth that is making me upset.
August 23rd, 2011, 07:48 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Try not to let it worry you. My kiddos went back and forth then one day, it just worked and they came off. Feeding was what usually kept us in the nicu. It's nice to have them tube free but it won't stop you from taking her home.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
August 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
hippie hugs's Avatar Proud Mama to a Preemie
I agree with the other ladies! Roan right now is bouncing on and off of it, too, and he's settled at around 25%. He seems to need it most when feeding - that extra little whiff just gives him the strength he seems to need to go the extra distance - and we're 98% certain he'll come home on it (darn altitude).

So no worries! It sounds like Georgia is doing absolutely amazing. Just look at the oxygen as giving her some extra strength - she'll be off it soon!

Thank you Claire1979 for the amazing siggy!

August 23rd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For Jim, desats were the thing that kept him in the hospital at the end. At 34 weeks, he was doing everything else he needed to do--feeding great, keeping his temp up, growing like a weed, no more jaundice--but he kept on desating. Finally at about 35 1/2 weeks he managed to stop doing that, and we brought him home at 36 weeks 2 days (he had to go 5 days with no desats before they'd let us bring him home) but I remember being exactly as frustrated as you are now while we were waiting for that to happen.

One thing that helped was figuring out that there were things triggering desats. For Jim, it was loud noises while he was eating--it's like it stressed him out too much to hear loud things AND at at the same time, and he'd use up so much energy eating and stressing that an hour later he'd desat. Having it super quiet made a big difference. Also using the lowest flow nipple they had on his bottles, he'd desat if they fed him too quickly. I would never have figured that out, but luckily we had some BRILLIANT nurses who put it all together for us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search