BTDT Mommies, What would you do??? UPDATE, new question in last post

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2011, 03:41 PM
adnelg775's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, my babies will probably be coming home at the end of September...they will be getting RSV shots from what I've heard. How careful do I need to be about family and visitors around the babies? I feel like I should have a "look, don't touch" policy all winter long (not just to protect from RSV but from colds, flu, etc). Am I being overprotective? How did you ladies handle this?

Last edited by adnelg775; September 1st, 2011 at 03:22 PM.
August 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you have to do what makes you feel most comfortable. A "look don't touch" policy is totally acceptable, especially if you have a lot of friends/family with small kids who will be bringing a lot of germs to your house. We had a "Everyone squirt themselves with hand sanitizer as soon as they arrive at our house" policy, since we didn't have many friends with kids who came to see Jim. You really have to do what keeps you from going insane with fear, KWIM?

I'd also talk to your neonatologist about it before you leave the NICU, and to your pediatrician, because a lot depends on how healthy your kids are. Some preemies are SUPER fragile with really delicate lungs; my son, not so much. So our neonatologist told us not to be that worried, and so did our pediatrician--to just be more careful than we would with a regular infant. Which is different advice than other some of the other parents got around here--many were told to basically keep their kid quarantined the entire first winter.

August 30th, 2011, 05:55 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sarah Beth came home on oxygen and she had HORRIBLE lungs (that was her main issue). So we did keep her quarantined for the first winter. However, we did let family come over and hold her. Our rules were something like,
- If you smoke, you can't come in, period.
- If you are even remotely sick, don't come.
- If your kids are sick, don't come.
- When coming into the house, wash up to your elbows with soap and water for at least 30 seconds.
- Use hand sanitizer before touching the baby (even if you just washed your hands).

Otherwise we had friends and family come over and hold her.

I agree with Beth, though, that you have to see what YOUR kids need. Are they generally healthy? You might not have to be so anal if so. If they still have bad issues with their lungs, you might be more careful.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
August 30th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks ladies! My babies have been generally healthy so far *knock on wood*. Their issues are apnea, bradycardia and desats. Most of the time they recover without stimulation. They were on the vent for just a few days after birth.

Also, my tentative plan is to keep them out of daycare until Spring. I figured that daycare is where all of the sicknesses are, and if I can just keep them home through the winter, they will be ready to start "building their immunity" in March.

August 30th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnelg775 View Post
Thanks ladies! My babies have been generally healthy so far *knock on wood*. Their issues are apnea, bradycardia and desats. Most of the time they recover without stimulation. They were on the vent for just a few days after birth.

Also, my tentative plan is to keep them out of daycare until Spring. I figured that daycare is where all of the sicknesses are, and if I can just keep them home through the winter, they will be ready to start "building their immunity" in March.
We kept Jim out of daycare by doing a nanny share with another family from the NICU. Nannies around here are EXPENSIVE so sharing with another family made it more affordable. DH was able to take his paternity leave after my maternity leave, so that got us through Christmas, then we did the nanny thing for a year after that. Then we started Jim in daycare. Daycare is an extremely germy place, so if you can avoid it for the first RSV season at least, that is a good thing.

September 1st, 2011, 10:10 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we had a few rules as above: no sickness, no smokers, and everyone used hand sanitizer on the way in and out (our guys came home with MRSA from NICU). I also had to watch since ds1 started preschool that first winter, as soon as he got into the van I had a vat of hand sanitizer to bathe him in, and me too--we were very lucky nobody was sick that first winter
September 1st, 2011, 03:21 PM
Please clarify on the NO SMOKERS rule...No people who smoke allowed in the house, even if they smoke outside? I hate to admit it, but my DH smokes...only outside of course. Also a few other members of his family smoke.
DH said he was going to try and quit before the babies came home, but so far he is still smoking.

September 2nd, 2011, 05:56 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Smoke causes what is called "vasoconstriction." Basically that means that the smoke can cause the already tiny vessels to get smaller and cause the babies to have a harder time getting the oxygen into the blood and throughout the body. That is why it is so important to not allow smoking around the kids.

My rule was if they smoked, they had to bathe and put on clean clothes BEFORE they could come around the baby. I know there are plenty of parents who smoke and are around preemies, but I'd REALLY encourage the smokers in your family to respect that they will NOT smoke near the kids or hold them with the smoke still on their clothes.

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
September 4th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my friend's dd had a pda and the cardio told them no smokers around nbs as they tend to hold their breath when they smell it and it changes the pressures and can open those back up. I haven't don't any research on it other than that, though.
September 5th, 2011, 06:15 AM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom smokes and we had a hard time with telling her she couldn't be around Liam when she smokes and if she had smoke smell on her clothes. We actually had huge arguments about it until I finally put my foot down and said if you don't wash and change your shirt then you won't get to hold him. Now she does that when she's at home but she still tries to touch him when we are out in public and she's just smoked. It's the most annoying thing ever and I'm actually really sick of it!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search