new here with twin preemies :-)

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 22nd, 2011, 05:36 PM
Super Mommy
Hey ladies! I'm Jessica and I just had my twin girls yesterday (sept 21) at 34 weeks gestation! They are in the nicu now but so far they are doing really well. Baby A (Keely) weighed 3lbs 6oz and 16.5in. Baby B (Kenley) weighed 3lbs 2oz and 16in. They weren't growing inside too well (obviously, for 34 weeks they were NOT where they should be for weight) and I was spilling tons of protein so we decided it was best to get them out. we also have been told that baby B had some brain issues. we've had 2 fetal MRI's done but no answers. The girls are identical so we don't know why her brain looked abnormal but her sister's didnt. Then a few weeks ago the MFM doc said he saw that A's was starting to look abnormal so we thought something was attacking them or it was going to end up being genetic or chromosomal.. we don't know anything about their brains yet because we are focusing on their normal preemie stuff but we are supposed to follow up with an MRI when they get to about 4 months old.. and the nicu is supposed to do a head u/s on B at some point in the next week..
anyway, as far as their nicu stay is going.. it's going WAY better than we every expected so far..

Keely hasn't needed any breathing help at all! She is in an incubator but maintaining her temp so far and we got to hold her today! She started feedings by mouth today too and is tolerating 5cc's! she's doing awesome and they said they may try to wean her out of her incubator in the next few days.. she just needs to gain some weight :-)

Kenley needed a little help with breathing but she's on a low flow room air! she was having some apnea issues but they mentioned they are going to try to wean her off in the next few days and see how she does. They had a harder time getting her IV in her hand so she has a line in her umbilical cord for now. She is also maintaining her temp so we got to hold her today too. She is only tolerating about 1cc of her mouth feeds because she hasn't gotten the hang of the sucking and swallowing yet but that's understandable. I think she will do just fine with practice.

we get to start Kangaroo care in the morning which i'm so excited about.. I am just so in love with these tiny girls and hope they stay on this path and come home sooner rather than later!

so that's the basis of our story and I can't wait to get to know you all in here! I know the nicu can be a scary rollercoaster ride so i'm excited to have some other support from people who have actually been there..

September 23rd, 2011, 06:51 AM
adnelg775's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Glad to hear that your girls are here and doing well, all things considered. I hope that they will both come home soon!

September 23rd, 2011, 11:16 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congratulations Jessica!
September 23rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Jessica! Wish you hadn't needed to come over here, but now that the twins are here, I'm so glad you joined us!

It sounds like they are doing GREAT so far!!! I'm so glad you'll be getting to kangaroo with them soon, and I hope they can get out of the incubator quickly. I've said it before but I'll say it again: the day Jim moved out of the incubator was one of our best days with him in the NICU. It just makes SO much of a difference to be able to reach down and touch your child anytime, without all that plastic in the way.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that everything turns out OK with their brains--maybe you'll get a sneak peak when the NICU does its scans?

Keep us posted about how they're doing, I'm rooting for them to come home ASAP!

September 23rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks!! :-) I did kangaroo both today and they both did Awesome! They both got about 1.5 hours and were both perfect! They even upped their feedings and both got 5cc's and tolerated it all. Of course they dropped weight but the normal amount. We will see what they weighed in at tonight though after the feedings. We need them to gain a pound. I'm still amazed at what came out lol and hoping for the best with the brains since we were so amazed at how well they are doing now considering everything.. We shall see!

September 26th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Super Mommy
they are still doing well with feedings. they are up to like 18cc's now! they still aren't taking much of a bottle yet though. they still need to get the sucking swallowing down. i think Keely took like 10 of hers by bottle yesterday afternoon then pooped out. and Kenley wouldn't even really wake up to eat. so they are still using the tube. as for IV's though, they are supposed to be off them today! they were even going to take Kenley's umbilical one out. oh and she's been off her oxygen for a couple days and doing awesome! she is now under the bili lights though but I knew that would happen eventually. so now we just need them to gain a pound and maintain their body temps to get out of the isolets..

we left the hospital yesterday and it was way harder than i thought it would be. I couldn't stop crying. we can't see them until later this afternoon because I need someone to watch my son so i'm counting down..

September 26th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((hugs)) hoping for a great day for your girls!
September 26th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So glad Kemley is off oxygen, that is great news! Keeping my fingers crossed that they keep gaining on their feeds!

September 27th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Super Mommy
They gained 50-55 grams yesterday! as of last night they both had less than 2oz to get to their birth weight! Keely was taking all of her feeds by bottle (well with the nurse but when I tried she left like 10cc's lol) and SO actually got Kenley to take 5cc's out of a bottle which is awesome for her! the doc said that is basically what will determine when they go home.. well besides their temps. so they really need to get the sucking swallowing down. they have said that babies really know it at 35 weeks so I'm hoping they pick it up sometime this week.. but good thing is they are tolerating all their feeds and are up to like 25cc I think. They are both off their IV's too! Kenley's jaundice levels went way down right when she was under the lights so she was off the spot light yesterday already and they said most likely she will be without the lights today! They are just some tough little girls!!
They are planning on doing the head u/s's on both girls tomorrow so I'm hoping we get some idea of whats going on in there before we see the neurologist in 4 months for more MRI's..

so I think that's all for today but every day we get good news so i'm just hoping it continues and we don't have a set back.. which i feel will be coming since this is all too good to be true feeling for everything we've been through with the pregnancy..

September 27th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Jim really got it around 35 weeks too, that is also when he stopped deserting all the time. Keeping my fingers crossed that they keep gaining so much weight and doing so well and can come home soon!!!

September 27th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Super Mommy
really? so 35 weeks seems to be the magic number.. Kenley actually took 22cc's today from her bottle! It was the best feed she's had and they will be 35 weeks tomorrow! so we are hoping she continues and they get it this week. all IV's are out now too AND they lowered the temp on the isolets.. they want the temp down to 28*C and there beds were on about 29.9 when we left... things are still looking good so we are keeping our fingers crossed

September 29th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Jess, keeping my fingers crossed too! Hopefully they can pack on some fat and that will help with their temps. Air sure would be awesome if they could come home sooner rather than later!

September 30th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Super Mommy
well their temps on their isolets are going down! we need it to get to 28* C and it was at 28.7 on Keely and 28.8 on Kenley when we left last night!
Kenley took almost a whole bottle yesterday before we got their but for her dinner they didn't want to push her to try again so they just tube fed her. Keely though is getting it, she still takes a little break half way through the bottle (she even fell asleep for a couple mins and then woke up and sucked the rest down lol) I am definitely anticipating her to come home before Kenley.. Keely is also at her birth weight now! Kenley's chart was missing so we don't know about her weight yet but i'm asking today, I need to know she's gaining..

oh and they had their brain u/s's.. still inconclusive! it's so frustrating that they can't give us an answer.. he said there are 3 things it could be, an infection, a bleed or a genetic thing.. well there nothing solid to point to any of those for sure so they still have no idea how this happened and what is going to be effected. he said they have until next week (36w) to get the nippling down before we start to worry that this might be more than just a preemie thing..

I'm going in today by myself so this should be interesting. SO is usually my rock when we go in..

October 2nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
Super Mommy
Beth, I know we talked about this in the DDC thread but it was easier to put it here since it's less busy.. the girls were moved up to 24 calorie BM a couple days ago lol I wasn't told but I saw on the bottle "24" and asked the nurse. they are gaining (as of yesterday) Keely was 3lbs 7oz so an ounce above her birth weight and Kenley was 3lbs 2.9oz so she was 0.9oz above her birth weight lol so hopefully they continue. Kenley's bed was down to 28*! but they won't rush her out of the isolet until she can bottle feed easier which last night she took almost her whole bottle of 30mL from me! Keely did the same thing so as long as the nurses actually work with them on it too (sometimes they don't even try which i can understand to a point because I know the girls get tired but I wish they would attempt some)..
so we are a tiny step closer to coming home status lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search