Question from my sister

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey guys! My sister had her baby last week and she was full term but had to go to the NICU for a little while. While she was in the NICU she got fast flow bottles (of pumped milk) and now shes refusing to nurse. My sisters able to pump alot so shes getting milk but she wants nothing to do with actually nursing. Anyone have any tips? The LC at the hospital gave her a shield but its not helping so far

October 24th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sam, I saw this post and wanted to reply even though my kiddos didn't spend time in the NICU. They were bad at nursing though and we bottle fed with fast flow nipples in the beginning. I would put them on the breast at each feeding and then finish with the fast flow nipple because they were so bad at nursing. We then changed to a little bit slower nipple and gradually made them use a FirstYears breastflow bottle. They eventually decided that the breast was easier. We did a really gradual transition since they were so inefficient, but we made them work for it in the end.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

October 25th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was going to suggest what Celry said, try switching to a low flow nipple and see if that helps...although Jim got only low flow nipples in the NICU and still wouldn't nurse. I ended up exclusively pumping for a year...I hope your sister is able to avoid that, though!

October 26th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Ducky's mama
D had nipple confusion after getting bottles in the NICU.. and it took me months of persistence (and lots of tears!) to get him to actually Nurse. He didn't actually really nurse until he was 3 months old! One thing I did was use slow flow nipples. Another thing was to give him a bottle when he was starving, and about halfway through switch to the breast (my letdowns were slow and he was hungry NOW!). Another thing that really helped was support from the local La Leche League chapter... the had a video they showed me on helping a baby learn to nurse. First you strip down to skin, and lay the baby on your shoulder, and let them nuzzle/wiggle down to the breast.. they have the instinct to find it! Then guide them gently (or just support them in the case of most babies) to the nipple and let them go from there. I sent a msg to my lll leader asking what the name of the video was...I'll let you know when she replies. It was one of the key elements in me and Declan starting a healthy nursing relationship.

kellymom.com :: Help -- My Baby Won't Nurse! This website was very helpful to me!!!

kellymom.com :: Weaning from formula supplements This page was VERY VERY useful to me as well... I supplemented with pumped milk ANd formula because my supply never fully came in... but I wanted to be able to try and nurse exclusively if possible, so I tried these methods, and at our best time we were down to 1-2 bottles a day, and 6-7 nursing sessions (he was preemie so he tired a lot and needed shorter more frequent feeds).

Another thing I did was research bottles. Since we couldn't quit bottles cold turkey, and ended up needing to give them even when I was BFing, I wanted ones that made it easier to transition. We decided on Tommee Tippee ones. Don't encourage the anti-colic bottles though! They leaked. Just the regular Tommee Tippee ones. In the states you can also get Breastflow bottles (I"m in Canada and we don't have those here) that are supposed to be the best and most like breast. I think Playtex nursers are pretty close too. Personally, when we switched to Tommee Tippee, it was less than a week later that Declan started to actually nurse. Coincidence? I'd like to think not.

Another option she has is finger feeding or supplemental feeding at the breast. I'm not sure the details of finger feeding, but we were thisclose to trying supplemental feeding. Our public health nurse gave us some small feeding tubes, and from there we would have attached one end to the nipple of a bottle (or a big syringe, whichever) and then taped the tube close to the nipple so while baby is BFing they also get a good flow from the tube.

I realize this post is all over the place... I'm kinda typing as I remember what we did. If she has ANY questions at all, she can email me. I'll pm you my email address. In case it wasn't apparent.. I am totally passionate about this subject. It KILLED me inside when D wouldn't nurse at first... which is why I tried for the better part of 2 months to get him to learn. I won't say it can be done 100% of the time.. but it is a learning curve for her and baby and if given a fair chance it might just work

Thank you Thank you Thank you to Alethia for my awesome siggy!

October 28th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I forgot that another thing we did was add a drop of water or breastmilk onto the corner of their mouths once they were on the breast. This encouraged them to suck since they thought they were getting something. We'd just periodically put the drop there and they got better and better at getting a letdown.

Someone also suggested to me that I could pump just enough to start the letdown and then latch them on. Once they got the hang of nursing I could pump less and make them do the work for the letdown.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search