Hey guys!

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey guys! I realize i havent been on here in a while i thought i'de pop in and say hello! Michael turned 2 on Monday and overall, is doing excellent! His 2 year pedi appointment isnt until Feb but i'm going to estimate he's around 26-27lbs and at least 34 inches? Development is having its ups and downs... he finally got glasses last week and looks mighty adorable in them! Its been fun to watch him notice small things that he never noticed before. Watching him sit on the couch to watch tv instead of standing directly in front of it still amazes me. Last night we were driving somewhere and i realized that was the first time he had worn his glasses in the car, that was probably such a weird feeling. Speech has been a struggle, he started therapy in September and still has no words We're frustrated and sad and i think his therapist is frustrated that nothing has worked yet... we're moving onto to more intense methods now bec/ the casual play methods havent done anything. I know speech takes a while, i'm just so ready for ONE real word, the holidays were tough w/ my 16 month old niece running around talking. Dh and i often worry that he's autistic (not that that matters, of course we love him regardless, but you know...) bec/ he also doesnt really respond to his name, so that makes me a little sad but he also does a lot of things that autistic kids dont do (like to be touched, show alot of emotion etc) so who knows really. Theres really nothing we can do for now anyway i dont even think they officially test until he's like 4 so i just try to put it in theback of my mind for now and hope its just normal preemie delays. I guess we all just want our kids to be "normal" and have no signs of being a preemie right? I think as far as OT and PT he's doing well, he doesnt get any kind of therapy for either of those but i think the lack of speech is starting to delay him in other aspects so we're attempting to get him OT evaluated. The problem is the program we use is free through the state and all the good OT's are booked up right now, so hopefully one will become available soon. I think he's smart, this probably sounds weird but he has an iphone and has toddler games on it and he picks up how to play them very quickly... so he must be smart, but he cant name his body parts and stuff so i worry he's going to fall even more behind other kids his age without the ability to communicate. I dunno, now i'm starting to ramble! Here are some pics

January 12th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Breanne's Avatar Veteran
ADORABLE pictures!! I just love those glasses, too cute!! Glad most things seem to be going great and I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you that he starts talking really soon. Its so stressful when things don't seem to be going as expected, just try to stay positive, I'm sure it will all work out in the end. I know this doesn't help at all but wanted to let you know my cousins little guy is 2 and he didn't have any words until really recently. It was like a lightbulb just went off and things are really starting to pick up, hoping this happens to Michael and you all can relax a little. Thanks again for posting an update and some pictures, you definitely have one handsome boy!!
January 12th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OMG he is so freaking adorable!!!

Whenever I talk to a parent whose little one isn't talking yet, I remind them that Einstein didn't talk until he was 3. So really, your little guy is probably secretly a genius. I will keep my fingers crossed that he picks up speech soon, though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search