How are the grads doing?

Forum: Preemies/NICU

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By SarieP
  • 2 Post By 8miraclez
  • 1 Post By SarieP
  • 1 Post By AngelaMarie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Preemies/NICU LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2012, 11:19 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Any updates?
What new things is baby doing?
I'd love to hear from some of our preemie/nicu grads.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
June 25th, 2012, 09:26 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Robbie has been great! He still doesn't have much use of his right arm due to the CP but that's just how he is. Robbie's ADHD is under control with the meds he's been on for the last 18 months. He's going into 3rd grade! I can't believe that he's so big already!
June 26th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Wow, 3rd vrade. My 32wkr is going into 3rd grade too. She's the only one of my school age kids Not on adhd meds. I'm pretty sure it's genetic in our case.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
June 26th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
It could be genetic in Robbie's case too. His "sperm donor" for lack of a better term for the dead beat that sired him, has ADD. He was on ritalin his whole life till he figured out that cigarettes worked the same for him as the ritalin. -When told that Robbie had ADHD at 4, the ******* actually suggested letting Robbie smoke instead of getting him on the proper medications!- On the other hand though too Robbie had a grade 3 bleed in the right ventricle and a grade 4 bleed in the left ventricle. The grade 4 dissolved some of the brain matter in the motor skills and "thinking" part of his brain.

I can't believe how big the kids have gotten from this board! It's amazing to see them all grow and develop!
June 27th, 2012, 05:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Chloe is doing great. We don't have any follow-up appointments until July, she's crawling and has decided that solid food is not so bad. She will be one in just a few weeks, and I can't wrap my head around it because it doesn't feel like she is one!

June 27th, 2012, 09:56 AM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Liam is doing great He is 14 months old now and can take 3-4 steps. He wants to walk all the time but also wants to hold my hand so I get to walk around the kitchen A LOT! He eats everything in sight and loves milk. He says dada, whoosh, deuce (our dog), crazy....and he's working on momma. He is right on track for his development and the doctors are always impressed with him when we go to an appt. He had an x-ray done on his lungs a month or so ago and they said they are completely normal! What a relief after sooo long on the ventilator!

He only goes to the NICU Clinic once every 6 months and has no other appts we have to keep up with! Eyes are great, heart is great. What a miracle 25 weeker!!

June 27th, 2012, 04:18 PM
So nice to hear that everyone is doing great!
June 28th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Tiff, my 25wkr (who is 4 now) had a grade 3 and 4 brain bleeds but I can't remember which side was which. She has her last preemie clinic appt sometime this year.

Sarie, I'm sure the ladies on the Aug 11 board would love an update, and pics of course
Smashley and Just_Marie like this.

June 29th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey all, please bear with me... Michael spilled PEpsi in my keyboard yesterday so its kind of hard to type but ill try to fix all the typos

Michael is 2.5 and all in all doing pretty great. Physically he's completely healthy and so darn handsome Hes VERY physically active, climbing, jumping, falling off anything he can find... he's into EVERYTHING. I'm getting him off the table, out of the trash can etc all day long. Development wise we're behind... he's not really following directions like "go get your shoes" like he should but we're trying to work with it. For a while we were really concerned about his lack of progress in the verbal department but after being in speech for nearly a year he's FINALLY starting to mimic/repeat things like if we say, Michael say "monkey" he'll say "mmmmm". I'm sure we're ways off from conversations still but this is a major major step and we're thrilled. Otherwise the only thing we've got going on is we started the transition to the toddler bed last night so we'll see how that works out!

I'm also 18 weeks pregnant andi feel like a time bomb... i am so so afraid that my water is going to break before i can at least make it to viability but i'm trying to be positive that i have AT LEAST 5 more weeks! I get the 17p shot every week but its not really been studied for cases like mine (i have a bicornuate uterus) so we honestly dont know what'll happen. Its said to prevent preterm labor but no one for sure knows about pprom.... the thing is with me is we dont know if my cervix had changed before my water broke or not. If it did, then the shot will probably help, if not then who knows. My OB throws around terms like "30 or 32 weeks" and that just seems crazy to me... i can't picture it and i try not to get my hopes up just in case. Right now everything is looking good though, cervix and baby are all measuring well and we findout gender on the 10th! Woohoo!

June 30th, 2012, 02:20 AM
You can do it. I had a 25wkr then had a 31wkr. Huge difference.
Ill keep my finvers crossed you make it to at least 32, 34 would even be better.

Btw, my 25wkr didnt talk until she was almost 3. Now at 4 she talks tons and sings songs to us. They released her from speach last year.

June 30th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
SarieP- I am just stalking this board to see updates on your and baby Liam. I am so glad he is doing so well.
July 3rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
SarieP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
SarieP- I am just stalking this board to see updates on your and baby Liam. I am so glad he is doing so well.
Thanks! I don't come on here very often because it reminds me of everything that happened but I check in every once in a while I did that post on Jun 27th and two days later he started walking! Now he is 100% unstoppable! Oh and he has discovered the word "fish" and says it ALL the time. He is the greatest <3
Just_Marie likes this.

July 3rd, 2012, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarieP View Post
Thanks! I don't come on here very often because it reminds me of everything that happened but I check in every once in a while I did that post on Jun 27th and two days later he started walking! Now he is 100% unstoppable! Oh and he has discovered the word "fish" and says it ALL the time. He is the greatest <3
Ahh... that is too cute. I'm still waiting for Nattie to start walking and she doesn't talk but she does sign. The only problem is I think that she thinks the sign for milk means mom.

July 4th, 2012, 05:47 PM
AngelaMarie's Avatar Owen's Mommy
Here's an updated photo of Aubrey. She was born at 30 weeks with a congenital heart defect, severe scoliosis, rib and limb (leg) deformities, and other issues. She's doing very well. She was recently diagnosed with Noonan Syndrome. She's been tube fed her whole life until the last few weeks so that's a process. We also just found out she has hearing loss. She had her open heart surgery in February. She will need a valve eventually but hopefully not for a while. Next major surgery should be spine, just waiting to see when and how they will fix it.

Kansascity kitty likes this.
July 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Ducky's mama
Any updates?
What new things is baby doing?

Declan is going so good. He is meeting his adjusted age at the very least for most things, though they are concerned with his walking (he locks his knees and toes in quite bad with the right foot sometimes). However, he only started walking full time about a month ago, and before then wasn't walking very much unassisted. We'll see his physio in the fall if his gait hasn't improved by then.

Within the last 8 weeks his speech has EXPLODED! Every day right now he is learning/mimicking a new word.. my little parrot .

Now that summer is here, he has discovered the park. We've gone twice, the first time he was unimpressed, the second time was to a better park with better equipment and he loved it!

New for us in the past couple months as well... he started daycare twice a week. I was a little concerned because of germs, and because he isn't on par with the other kids his age, but IMO it has helped him to catch up a bit! He strives to be like the other kids, which is better motivation than me I guess . He has succumbed multiple times to the runny nose and cough that has been going around the daycare since January, but seems no worse for wear from it.

He is just the coolest little guy. He is so different from the preemie I gave birth to... the sensitive, irritable baby I brought home... the infant who cried whenever he was not with me. He is funny, is learning to pretend ("pretends" to eat things he doesn't like, or pretends to feed the dog food that isn't there), he loves cars/trucks/etc, loves to walk outdoors on the speedbumps in the road (really quiet neighborhood), loves to eat peas, loves to color, loves with bath.. . He plays so well by himself, but comes back to check on me frequently .

Then there's me...lol. I still struggle with guilt that my body would not stay preggo longer than it did. I am finally (almost 2 years later) starting to feel the tugs of baby fever... I am surrounded by babies or pregnant ladies... but then I panic and my mind reminds me that if there is a next time it could be worse than last time :/. Hubby says no more babies until we have a bigger house, so maybe in a couple years I'll be in a better headspace. I really wan't another little one... but I'd like to be "normal" again first. I'd like to be off my depression meds (pristique) first. If only I was a resilient as my son.

Thank you Thank you Thank you to Alethia for my awesome siggy!

July 11th, 2012, 06:38 PM
SassyMama's Avatar Fist Pumping Champ
Siera's been doing great. She had a procedure to close her PDA about a month ago and her recovery has been amazing. She hasn't slowed down at all (great for her, terrifying for me). My MIL is visiting from Europe and has been teaching her lullabies in Albanian and it's been so amazing listening to her speak a foreign language.
July 17th, 2012, 03:51 AM
tetchy's Avatar N.A.K.
Oliver-born at 28wks and 1lb 12oz is doing awesome. He is getting close to walking and takes a step every now and then. He says mama, daddy and hello. He signs for hungry. And he is just so happy and vibrant and bright. You can tell he understands much more than he can communicate right now. He is still pretty tiny at about 17lbs. But I am sure like everything else he will catch up with time. From what we can tell in his health and development he, so far, has no outstanding issues from being a preemie

Beautiful Piggy By Julieta Beautiful Soggy By Beautiful Saggy By Julita raBeautiful Siggy By Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob*

September 9th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My twins were 28 weekers and were born at the 3lb mark. They just turned 3.5years, both need AFOs for toe walking which they think is more familial than d/t cp, which is great. They're both talking like pros and working really hard at PTing so they can get into preschool! T has a bit of eczema and asthma and only uses puffers if he gets a cold, Arthur has no residual preemie effects that we know of. You'd never know they were preemies to look at them now

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search