Photoshop elements question

Forum: Digital Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Digital Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2008, 12:02 AM
candacesoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just downloaded a free 30 day trial of Photoshop elements 6 and I am having a doozy of a time understanding anything about it! My brain actually hurts!

Here's my question....
I was trying to do the template tutorial and when I merge the two layers together...they don't take the shape of the bottom layer. The tutorial says that they will but I'm doing something wrong.

If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, give me a hand.

If I decide to keep using Elements, I'll probably have many questions. At this point...I'm up in the air about it. My nice, familiar Old program is right here in my laptop,,,calling my name!

In my old program (Corel Photopaint) there is a tool called the fill bucket. You can load any picture into it and fill up any shape or object with the fill. ie...I can fill up the shapes in a template with any paper from a kit by loading the paper in the fill bucket and clicking on the template layer with the fill bucket. Is there anything like that in Elements?

August 7th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
I use Photoshop CS3... haven't used PSE in awhile, but try this. Put your paper over the shape you want it to take. Then right click on the layer (in the layer palette) and select "create clipping mask." I think you can also just do CTRL+G and get the same result.

Let me know if that helps.

(Off to bed now, but I'll be around tomorrow if you have more questions).

Oh, this siggy school lesson might help. I'm really going to bed now. LOL

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
August 7th, 2008, 03:28 AM
*~Ginny~*'s Avatar RN - Student CNM :)
Send a message via AIM to *~Ginny~*
I have the regular photoshop, not elements, but this is what I do with my program: On the right hand side of the screen, there is a column that shows all the different layer thumbnails. I put the new image right on top of the old layer that want the image to go inside. Then on the top part of the program (where Files, Edit, etc are) , I click "Layers" and scroll down until I see "group with previous layer" and then click it.

I don't know how to effectively explain this so early in the morning, but I hope that helps! For some reason, my program doesn't have the "clip mask" bit that all the tuts talk about! (or if it does, I can't find it, LOL)

August 7th, 2008, 06:38 AM
candacesoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! It worked! I finally understand 1 thing in this program!

August 7th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
Good! I think you'll really like it once you start figuring out how to do everything. It's a good program. Feel free to ask more questions. Trish will be able to help too (when she gets back online). She uses PSE.

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
August 7th, 2008, 09:34 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I have PSE5 so I can help you out too. Usually to fill things I select the element by control clicking on the layer and then go to the top and hit edit > fill.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search