Help for newbie with a kit

Forum: Digital Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Digital Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2008, 12:24 PM
m.and.a
So, before I spend too much time and effort in learning how to do digiscrapping, I figure I'd download a kit to see how easy it is.

I found this kit as a test drive. The fam went to the pumpkin patch on Monday, although I didn't get any great pics, I figured why not. Already I'm having problems.

I'm using PSP8, I know very little about layers. Basically, if I wanted to put the popsicle frame in the picture, I'd paste it as a new layer over the picture, right?

Any links to really simple directions would be appreciated.

I am,

sincerely, a lazy noobie
October 16th, 2008, 01:00 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
MANDA!!

Um yeah, you put the frame over the picture. Have you opened up one of the papers to use as a background? That's usually my first step. The papers will be sized to 12X12 usually. I don't know about PSP, some other girls here know but with my program I can open a kit and drag various elements into my program and onto my page, no worrying about the actual copy and pasting stuff.

October 16th, 2008, 01:04 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Here's a tutorial I wrote on using a template in PSP. It might help you out figuring out the basics.

Using a template in psp

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM
m.and.a

So, so I did the digi school, I had a few problems. I couldn't get the shadow to work right, and I couldn't get the font to load in PSP. But, I learned lots.
October 16th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome, Manda
You did it! I'm sure you will continue to learn lots. Feel free to ask us more questions.

Mommy to Briana - 10, Laura - 9, Kainan - 8, Sara - 6 1/2 , Andrew - 4 1/2 and Nathan - 2

I Love Yoli ! Ask Me Why!!!

October 16th, 2008, 04:08 PM
m.and.a
Okay, so how do I use frames. I have some transparent frames that I bought, but I'm clueless about how to use them.
October 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Here's what I do with a frame, others may do it totally different, but I'm quirky so bear with me.

I put the frame in my lay out or siggy and position it how I like. I click on the frame layer and select inside the frame using the magic wand tool. Then I expand my selection by a few pixels so that I have a little bit extra in the selection.

Leaving that area selected, I add a new layer and place the new layer under the frame. I select that layer in my layer palette.

Then I use my paint bucket tool and just fill inside my selected area on that new layer (make sure you're inside the dancing ants).

Deselect (I think it's ctrl+D, but I'm not certain).

Finally, I copy my photo onto the canvas and then resize and reposition as necessary, so that what I want shows through the frame. Make sure you put your picture between the frame and the colored layer you made.

You'll notice that my picture over-laps the frame. To get rid of that, I use my magic wand tool again. I select the colored layer that I made, select outside of the colored area.

Finally, I select the photo layer (making sure you leave the dancing ants) and then hit your delete button. It will clear everything from the photo layer that is selected.

You can discard that colored layer that you made or you can just merge that layer and your picture and frame together.

Like I said, there are lots of ways to go about doing this, but I think this is the cleanest way and a way that will work with every program.
October 16th, 2008, 06:07 PM
NewbieMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for explaining that!!! I have been just cropping and moving the picture around until it fits under the frame.....ugh. This is awesome! I'm curious to hear how other people do it too.

Welcome Manda!!! I'm excited to see you here, you really should get into digital scrapping, it's so much fun. way better than paper scrapping (at least once you have little ones running around and grabbing your stuff). We can get together and have a scrap party, of course it would just be the two of us staring at our laptops...hah. Think Cindy would want to get into it too?

October 16th, 2008, 09:06 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
of course it would just be the two of us staring at our laptops...hah.[/b]
This image really made me LOL.

October 17th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Hi, Manda. My church does crops every couple weeks and I'm like "That would be fun, but I'd just be staring at a computer the whole time" lol I love the page with Ada's nose in the corner.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

October 17th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I use PSP 12 and that is how I do it as well.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

October 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
m.and.a
I still haven't quite gotten the framing thing down. I had it last night, but have struggled with it today.

Here are the LO's I snuck in today.

Father's Day Freebie From Mandy's Mystiques.

How do I ensure that they print out okay? What format should I save them in... etc?

Another Freebie- September Littlefootprints.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search