New to CD'g

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Reviews and Recommendations LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Regular
Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased two Bumgenius 3.0 cloth diapers because I am interested in switching to cd'g but I didn't want to rush out and buy a whole bunch without trying them first to see how I like them (they're quite pricey!).
What do I need to know to get me started? I have a few questions...

a) what kind of laundry detergent should I use with these diapers? Is Ivory Snow okay? The lady at the store said no because Ivory Snow is a soap and I need to use a detergent. Huh? Isn't this the same thing? Is Tide ok? Does it have to be fragrance free?

b ) can you use unscented fabric softener when drying the diapers or is fabric softener a no-no?

c) can you use a diaper rash preventative cream when cd'g or does it build up a film on the cd? Do you just put your baby in them with a dry bum, no cream?

d) How clean do they come out when you wash them? It just seems hard to believe that you can have a poopy diaper sitting in a diaper pail for a couple of days and then pop it in the washing machine and have it come out as clean as new. Am I wrong or do the cd's get stained no matter how much you wash them?

e) How many cd's do you recommend I buy? Like I said, I have two so far, but I would like enough to give me the luxury of not doing diaper laundry every day. Would 16 be enough to give me a couple of days grace? My baby is 5.5 months old and I currently change her approx 6-8 times/day. She hasn't started solids yet so I don't know if they're pooping increases once they do or if it generally stays the same.

Thank you so much for all your help. If there are any other tips/suggestions that you can offer me, I'd appreciate hearing them soooo much!

Thanks again
June 5th, 2008, 07:53 PM
proudjmmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
a) what kind of laundry detergent should I use with these diapers? Is Ivory Snow okay? The lady at the store said no because Ivory Snow is a soap and I need to use a detergent. Huh? Isn't this the same thing? Is Tide ok? Does it have to be fragrance free?The lady at the store is correct. Ivory snow is not a good choice foir diapers. You need a detergent not a soap. I hear many women use Tide for diaper laundry. Here is a good site for detergents: http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/dete...aglancepspd.htm

b ) can you use unscented fabric softener when drying the diapers or is fabric softener a no-no? NO NO fabric softener for diapers. Fabric softener creates a film over the diapers, causing them to be less effective.

c) can you use a diaper rash preventative cream when cd'g or does it build up a film on the cd? Do you just put your baby in them with a dry bum, no cream? Some creams are ok, but some are not. I'm not certain which ones though. I never have used diaper rash preventative creams. ALways just a dry bum clean diaper. IF you have to use cream, i suggest using a fleece or paper liner that wont cause build up on the diaper itself.

d) How clean do they come out when you wash them? It just seems hard to believe that you can have a poopy diaper sitting in a diaper pail for a couple of days and then pop it in the washing machine and have it come out as clean as new. Am I wrong or do the cd's get stained no matter how much you wash them?They come clean! If there is a stain, its usually nothing that a little sunning can't get out! Or you can use a fleece liner or a paper flushable liner, so the poo doesn't even touch your diapers.

e) How many cd's do you recommend I buy? Like I said, I have two so far, but I would like enough to give me the luxury of not doing diaper laundry every day. Would 16 be enough to give me a couple of days grace? My baby is 5.5 months old and I currently change her approx 6-8 times/day. She hasn't started solids yet so I don't know if they're pooping increases once they do or if it generally stays the same. 16 would be enough for you to wash every other day i would say. I would suggest at least 2 dozen diapers.....to give enough to wash every 2-3 days.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search