New snap minky Kawaii Vs. Old velcro minky Kawaii

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Reviews and Recommendations LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
MrsSarah1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought a batch of velcro minky Kawaii's when I first started cloth diapering and I loved them. I recently bought another batch of kawaii, and I now have 40 (whoa...) Kawaii's.

I just wanted to post a little review on the recent ones as they have been "improved" and I know that some are a little skeptical about trying the new version.

Well.. I love them!!!

The most noticeable change obviously is the snaps. I was skeptical about going for the snaps because I recently had a diaper rip the PUL because the snap was pulled . Not a Kawaii, but it still made me nervous. Rest assured, the snaps are incredibly snug. There is no stretching of the PUL when you open a snap. They are firm and to the point.. lol.

The second most obvious change is the lining of the diaper. Before it was that super soft white material (fleece?) that was very airy. Now, it's an off white, almost eggshell color and it's much thicker, and a bit bumpy, but seems heavy duty.

Also, the opening to stuff the inserts is different. On the old version, the elastic goes all the way around the opening. Now, on this newer version, it is only on the back part of the opening. The front part doesn't have any elastic at all.

The stitching is different and very present. The old Kawaii's are kind of loose in a sense.. it's hard to explain, but they seemed to only be sewed in the places that had to be sewed, no where else. Now, they are stitched everywhere which IMHO gives them a bit more of a secure fit. (See pictures below, particularly the leg opening to see what I mean.)

The one thing that I don't like is that they are smaller.. on the last snap setting, my toddler barely fits, even though the diaper is loose every where else. Of course every baby is different, and we all know that the drawbacks to snaps is that you can't 100% customize the fit like you can with velcro.
(**I decided to size all of the snap diapers for my 3 month old LO and use only velcro on my toddler. I probably wouldn't recommend the snap closure on toddler's/bigger babies as they really seem to strain to fit and it leaves marks on my DD's back.**)
But I like that the diapers are a bit more compact and they seem like they can stand daily wear very well. I'm greatly pleased!

Pictures:

Older version:

Last edited by MrsSarah1; February 3rd, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
February 4th, 2010, 04:23 AM
lil duckies mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is a stupid question but who sells Kawaii? I cant seem to find any doh!

Thank you Claire1979!
February 4th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
you can buy thru ebay just look it up under snazzy minky or at theluvyourbaby.com

February 5th, 2010, 02:42 PM
DawnC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the input, I'm just ordering some and had questions that weren't on their website. Can you explain "minky" to me? Are these particular diapers waterproof or do they require a cover? I LOOOOVE the prints!! And I never thought about the snaps being customable like velcro...thanks for pointing that out as I have a big girl!
February 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM
~*~Tracy~*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's my understanding Dawn that you don't need a cover for them. They should be lined in a laminate to prevent leaks.

Tracy, Mom to 4 wonderful boys!!
February 7th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
yes they are water proof , you do not need a cover. these diaper are my favorite beside the flip and bg ! they are easy to wash and when your turn them in side out they dry really fast ,i dry them in about 20mins. they do not leak, i have had my dd nap for like 5hrs , no leak.

the meterial on the outseide (minky) is super super soft and there is fleece in the inside , i have the old versions. they are great dips and i would recomend them to anyone.

February 16th, 2010, 12:54 PM
mater bibit
I also noticed that the snap minkies do not seem to go as large around the waist as the velcro.

The velcro minky I have looks different to the ones pictured. It has laundry tabs and square wings with the velcro sewn onto the wing rather than as a tab that sticks out (if that makes sense). There is a square of it on the outside of one wing to enable cross over the wings, also.
March 26th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Pinkee~'s Avatar All girl momma!
2 out of 5 pins.

I have a Kawaii Baby minky with snaps and honestly, Im not impressed. They do not live up to the tons of amazing reviews I have heard. I find them to be a bit bulky and I HATE the pocket opening. It has elastic on both side of the pocket so its hard to get your hand in to stuff it. I used a seam ripper to get the microfleece side of the pocket open and cut the elastic on that side so it flaps free like a BG or FB does. The elastic is still on the outside or minky side of the diaper.

Mine has snaps and there are no crossover snaps so the waist is rather big. Yesterday I added a snap to it so I could have the crossover option & get a better fit on my daughter. That worked for a better fit, but when I went to change her later the wing droop was AWFUL. I feel like I need to add two more snaps further out just to avoid the wing droop. But not everyone has a snap press on hand to be able to do this.

They hold/contain messes well enough. But I dont have near as much faith in this diaper to not leak as I do with my "better" diapers, like BG or FB or even my Nubunz. I would NEVER dare to use this overnight. I just dont trust it not to leak.

Overall this cheap diaper is just that to me - cheap. I feel like I got exactly what I paid for and nothing more. I would be tempted to buy more because the prints are awfully cute, but would pass because its not a good enough diaper to have multiples of. In fact this is one of the last diapers I reach for.

March 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
2 PINS

when i first started cd these were the first ones i bought and LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM but i HATE HATE THE NEW VERSION ONE.

I dont know why she changed the way they were made but i do not like them , the tab is not as strechy as the old version they do not go all the way around the waist .

I order the good night one and the freaking snap came off. i wish i would of bought more of the old version if i knew these were going to suck!

So if you decide you want to try some make sure you get the old ones if there still avaiable like the minky with the heart , or the blue w/white dots and the white with black dots.

August 1st, 2010, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to HarpersGirl
I wanted to post a comment in here on these ones, as we have quite a few of them.

I guess I'm giving a 3/5 pins.

I love these diapers, the prints, the softness and price... that's if you get the good ones. I have some that have the uber soft material in it, and others that have an aweful felt that is hard and scratchy and double elastic on the back. I also find them a bit small on my toddler who is 31lbs, and it sayd 35lbs max. I just received a new one and it seems smaller than my Minkees bought previously. If you're looking for a cheap way to CD and you dont mind not knowing what you'll get than these work. We use them fine, but I have no brand name diapers to compare to as well.

nak

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search