Bum Genius

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Reviews and Recommendations LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2007, 11:26 PM
teacherinlove's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love BGs.. I was a little hesitant abut using pocket, dont know why at the time but now that I use them, its all I reach for anymore

Why I like them..
- Easy for child care providers to use [Isaiahs providers talk non stop about how easy they are]
- velcro
- One size diaper
- comes with insert
- simple cute colors
- reasonable price [the price is spacing me right now but I know its under $20]

Why they could be a dislike
- The velcro may wear off a bit since the tabs are a bit small [ however I have not had this issue but have read about it]

RATING - 5 PINS

~Marissa~

January 21st, 2007, 12:57 AM
LisaLisaBoBisa's Avatar you...don't...want me?O.o
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaLisaBoBisa
3 pins

i think we had what is referred to as the bg 1.0? They did their job but i found them hard to stuff and didn't like the plasticy feel of the diaper. They function though we used them as swim diapers and ended up selling the 2 we had.

January 22nd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
5 pins! Love these dipes. We have the 1.0 and they are perfect to me. The outer is plasticy (which doesn't bother me) but I believe they improved upon that in the 2.0. Fit is perfect, one sizing is great money saver. Work just like a disposable, so easy to use. Wash really well. Love 'em!
February 15th, 2007, 07:48 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
5 pins!

This diaper has not once leaked, on either my 2 year old or my 6 month old. The fit is wonderful, the colors are beautiful, and the washing is so simple.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
February 15th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
5 pins!!!

I got 3 of these for Tommy, and they are so easy to get onto him. I have not had any problems with leakage either. Plus the size is adjustable, which makes them more worth the money. I will be able to use them for future children from size small to size large. Fewer diapers that I have to buy later on.

February 24th, 2007, 05:59 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><

I really wanted to like this diaper. The color is very pretty and it looks good on - unfortunately looks take second place to performance and they did not perform well for me. This is the 2nd time I have tried a bg2.0 OS - the 1st time it didn't live up to my expectations after 3 uses so I listed it on DS where it was snapped up right away. It's popularity made me wonder if I was hasty in giving up on it, maybe I had a flawed one, so I ordered another. So we are on our 2nd try, and at this time we have used it 6 times. Twice in the car seat running errands (loved it for that), twice for nighttime (not a night dipe for us!) and twice just hanging out (failed tummy time).

One of the things I really liked about it before I tried it was the fact that it was one-size - but the very thing I wanted to like is what made it not work for me. It is just too bulky on my skinny mini. The excess fabric on the small size either bunched up the top and wicked moisture, or if I tried to keep it stuffed in the diaper, bunched up inside and made little gathers for pee to trickle in. Apparently the suedecloth inner takes pressure from the babys bum to absorb well, and for my side sleeper that was a problem - the pee trickled out the side through the excess fabric folds and where the stretchy sides were - even though the fit around her skinny thighs was fantastic (loved that). It also trickled out the top of the diaper during tummy time, even though it was on snug. My little wiggler just didn't put enough pressure on it for it to absorb fast enough. Maybe it would work better if she were chubbier and the fabric lay flat and snug against her, but there was just too much bunching around her, not fitting snugly inside the dipe.

Other things I didn't like:
It was an extra step to snap it down to size, and stuffing it was more awkward than other pockets because of the flap over the pocket, which is a nice feature for keeping the insert from touching tha baby, but annoying for stuffing, or removing it from a messy dipe.
Aplix - I'm wondering that if the diaper does fit until my child potty-trains, will the Aplix last that long? I think I prefer snap closures for that reason - although the fit is much more adjusteable with the Aplix - I guess that's the tradeoff.
The insert is very bulky when snapped down, and very wide at the crotch for a small baby.
Annoying to get the insert to stay "just so" inside the pocket.

Things I did like:
The fit around her legs. The stretchy sides and soft gathered leg openings are the best thing about this diaper. We never had a leak there. I undid a diaper that still had unabsorbed pee in it, but it never leaked out the leg openings! The back waist has that same great fit. Not the front though.
Once the liquid was absorbed, it did not leak back out. This is a great diaper for us if she is in her car seat for a long period - it holds a lot - and like I said does not leak from the leg openings. Also, if all the liquid got absorbed, the suedecloth was very dry to the touch.

The diaper has potential but doesn't work for us. I think as a pocket it would work better for us if it were size-specific. I would not recommend this diaper if your baby is small, skinny and wiggly and sleeps on their side or tummy.
I may keep it for car trips, I may pass it on, I am undecided. But I won't be buying more.

ETA I love the BG2.0 AIO though

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
March 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
toasty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
4 pins.

I think this diaper is a pretty good deal if you are strapped for cash and dont want to buy a multi-sized stash. The snaps do make an extra step, and i find the pocket is a slow stuff. But the fit on my baby is fantastic and the diaper holds in big blowouts! We use this as our overnight or on-the-go diaper.

The power and intensity of your contractions cannot be stronger than you, because it is you~ Unknown ~

March 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
4 pins

these are really nice and I have never had a leak with them!!!!!

they are the closest to sposies for us!
March 10th, 2007, 07:30 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
4 1/2 pins

I LOVE these dipes!
~They fit both my boys (3.5 & 18-mos) with NO LEAKS!

~The velcro tabs are smaller than most aplix and therefore more difficult for little hands to grasp and pull off.

~The laundry tabs actually WORK!

~There is a flap over the opening to the pocket, so that their little back never comes in direct contact with the pul or elastic.

~Stretchy tabs.

~So easy that even dh can change diapers.

The only 2 reasons that it didn't get 5 pins were:

~limited color selection (4 colors).

~I've read that the tabs can get pilly & wear out quickly. I haven't used them long enough to experience this yet.

March 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM
BABYandris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i give 5 PINS for the BG 2.0 OS..i love these dipes..have had no leaks and they hold so much pee for my little guy with just the insert that comes with it.
i also give 5 PINS for the BG deluxe BAMBOO FITTEDS i love these and want to get more they soak up so much! for landon of course
March 13th, 2007, 06:00 PM
glory_baby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
4 pins.

The BG OS I used on Annie was snapped to the smallest setting. Therefore, I had a lot of bulk up front due to the snapdown and the CB insert snapped down in front, as well. However, I can tell I am going to love these dipes as she gets a little bigger. Last time she was wearing a BG OS, she pooped in it and I didn't even know until I changed her because it contained the smell so well. I have had no leaks. They fit her very well around her skinny thighs and around her chubby belly.

ETA:
5 pins for the AIOs.
I LOVE the AIOS. They give us a better fit since they come in standard sizes. Annie is around 10 pounds and wears a size small perfectly! These dipes don't leak, don't leave elastic indentions, are easy to use, and easy to launder.

We love you Angel Baby...snuggled in His arms at 14weeks
March 21st, 2007, 08:22 PM
mommytothree
2 pins

Ok, I have to change my original rating after more experience with CD'ing and other diapers to compare them too. I really dislike BGs. I wanted to love them, I did. But they left red marks on Sadie, didn't breath well, the AIOs were hard to tell if they were dry, the tabs pill quickly, they leaked when she slept on her side and the bamboo fitted leak like crazy.

The positives are they are nice and adjustable and are very trim under clothes.

I know a lot of people have good luck with the diapers and they are wonderful for dads but just did not work for me. I sold off my entire stash of BGs except the bamboo fitted which I just got. I'll keep them, but need to remember not to put them on her when dad is watching her (he doesn't change her as often as I do).
November 17th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Regular

<div align="center">4.5 PINS!!!</span></div><span style="color:#4169E1"> Our son has tried a few different cloth diapers I hated them ALL except the Bum Genius!! He stayed dry when others did NOT!! We had the XS as he was a preemie and those lasted 2 1/2 months. We are now using the ONE SIZE and I'm totally impressed with how they will grow as he grows. Monkey Doodle Swaddlebees and Happy Heiney's?? DON"T GO THERE!! Kissaluvs?? Be prepared to do TONS of laundry if your babies kidneys are working really well (which they should be)! Everything will be wet! Clothes fit with Bum Genius! I'm sold! I love my Bum Genius!!! BTW: I'm selling 19 XS BG's on the buy/sell/trade forum!
June 6th, 2008, 04:11 PM
tsh32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
2 pins

two of them lost elasticity in the legs in the first four months. a year and half later, they've all lost their velcro stickiness. they never fit DS right, who is very thin. We had leakage and bulkiness. As it doesn't look like he'll outgrow a medium anyway before he's potty trained, I found these a big waste of money. I won't ever buy them again.

June 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
5 pins! for the BG 3.0
i really like these diapers! These make up a majority of our stash!
They are absorbant! sometimes they leak but that also depends on what insert i have in them.

I dont like that they have a limited color selection. But that doesn't effect their performance!

September 4th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Carrie429's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Carrie429
BGs and FBs make up the majority of or stash and we love our BGs... Our only concern with them that led to us going with FBs more than the BGs is that the size (we have the OS) seems like it might be iffy to get DS through to PLing. He is a big boy for his age and the BGs don’t seem to have much more room to go in them. I also prefer snaps but I do think we get a better fit with the Velcro. I also wish the BGs came in more colors!!
Beyond that though we have had no issues with these diapers... Never any leaks, great fit, etc. We’ll probably buy a lot of these for our next child and use the OS dipes early on.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy! ~*~ Blog ~*~bfp Chart
September 4th, 2008, 11:05 AM
littamomto4's Avatar Super Mommy
So far I LOVE LOVE LOVE my BG 3.0

September 5th, 2008, 02:39 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
5 PINS FOR BG3.0

- easy to get nice snug fit around legs
- use both inserts that come with it for overnight, and DD sleeps 11-12 hours. No leaks, no wicking, and her skin is dry

I will say I haven't tried it with a single insert for daytime so I'm not sure they're as trim as FBs. But since I bought them to try for nighttime and they've been perfect for that, I'll stick with our 5 pin rating!

September 12th, 2008, 05:53 AM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered

I like how the 3.0 comes with an extra insert for newborns/doubler for older babies.

I don't really like how I have to use the large size for my 16 month old, but then again, it fits my 3 year old on the large size, too! LOL Bryce wears a medium but the rise seems a bit too low on the snap setting.

Snaps don't have to be undone every time you wash the dipe. They can be left in whatever setting you are using when washed.

They are applix so I have to put my 16 month old in clothes when wearing this dipe, but because of the applix, Devin will be able to take them off if he's wearing them while potty learning...hopefully someday soon!

ETA - Another thread about them. And another.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

November 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
BG 3.0
No leaks yet, they work great for my 2 1/2 year old and I can use them for the new baby to. I give them 5 diaper pins!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search