The DivaCup

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Reviews and Recommendations LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2008, 07:42 AM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
In response to the posts on this thread, I'm updating y'all on my DivaCup experience. Sorry if it gets a little TMI.

Insertion:
This takes a little practice, but it's not too bad. After finding this website, I was able to experiment with different folds until I found the one I liked the best. The "C" fold and "Punch-Down" folds were easiest to insert and the cup popped open for me right away. The "7" fold and the "Origami" folds were too hard to keep together while also trying to insert. I ran the cup under warm water first to soften up the silicone and that really seemed to help a LOT. Something to keep in mind: When you insert it, it doesn't not need to be pushed very far back - only until the stem is flush with the vaginal opening. That being said, it's not like it can get lost so if you do insert it too far, you'll be fine. You might have to do some Kegels and squats to help lower the cup so you can grasp the stem, but you will still be able to remove it.

Wearing:
Once it's in, you shouldn't be able to feel it. I was in my bathroom trying every conceivable position and I could not tell I had it inserted. It is very comfortable, much more comfortable than my Instead cups or tampons. Another thing I noticed is that there was no odor, either. When I wear pads/tampons, after a while I would smell this odor and I was always really self-conscious about whether or not other people could smell it, too. Another person suggested this comes from the chemical reaction of the menstrual fluid and the pad/tampon and I agree.

Function:
I wore it for the full twelve hours the first time and did not have any leaking. I'll talk more about this in the removal section, but there was surprisingly little fluid in there as well. There was a shade of spotting on my pantyliner but I think that was from the small amount of fluid that escaped during insertion.

Removal:
This is definitely the part that had me the most worried. I tried it in the bath tub this time. My hands were clean, muscles were relaxed and that helps a lot! If you're tense about it, it will only make it more difficult to remove. I started by finding the stem and using my index finger, I followed the stem up the side of the cup. When I was about half way up, I pushed it down and in to break the suction. I kept the side pushed in (so I'm removing in a similar fashion to how I inserted) and this made it a LOT easier to remove. The first time I attempted to remove it (when I first got it a month ago and was not on my cycle), I didn't do a good job of breaking the suction and removal was a bit uncomfortable. This time around was much, much better. There really wasn't that much fluid in there and that surprised me. After washing with warm, soapy water I reinserted the cup and was good to go for another twelve hours.

All in all, I'm really pleased with the DivaCup. On their website it says that insertion/removal only takes seconds - I'm not to that point yet and don't know if I ever will be. It's not as quick and simple as throwing on a pad or tampon but it's definitely more comfortable and I can wear it longer.

Let me know if there are any other questions!

January 5th, 2008, 09:35 AM
greeneyes's Avatar <-- Just do it.
Also, there is a wealth of info on the DivaCup site but here are some interesting things I found in regards to some specific questions that were raised on the other threads:

Latex Allergy:
Quote:
Synthetic latex rubber and natural latex or gum rubber contain a protein called "nitrosomine". This is the chemical that produces the allergic reactions that many people have to latex. The DivaCup™ is made from durable medical grade silicone, which is 100% hypoallergenic and suitable for women with latex allergies (nitrosomine and latex free).[/b]
Public Washroom:
Quote:
Most women find that they do not have to remove The DivaCup™ very frequently, and that taking it out in a public washroom does not occur very often. However, for women with heavier flows or on the occasion you need to empty it in a public washroom, simply remove the cup, empty the contents and use a dry or damp tissue to clean the cup and reinsert. Make sure your hands are clean before going into the stall. Wash your DivaCup™ well with hot soapy water at the next convenient time.[/b]
Odor:
Quote:
No, there is no odor when using The DivaCup™. Menstrual flow only begins to develop an odor when it begins to oxidize and break down from being exposed to air. Pads are usually the worst when it comes to menstrual odor. Tampons are not as bad since they are worn internally, but can still create odor.

With The DivaCup™ there is no odor at all. It really does make the woman feel clean and secure. No more worrying about embarrassing odor or leakage![/b]
IUD:
Quote:
The DivaCup™ is worn low at the base of the vagina and is away from the cervix, it should not interfere with your IUD.

As recommended, always check your IUD cord after inserting and removing your DivaCup™ to make sure that it has not been dislodged. Many of our customers are IUD users as well and have not reported any problems.[/b]
Tipped Cervix:
Quote:
Yes, The DivaCup™ can be worn for women with a tipped cervix. Since it is worn lower in the canal it does not interfere with the position of the cervix.[/b]
NOTE: I have a tipped cervix as well as a retroverted uterus and have not had any issues with using the DivaCup.

More FAQs can be found here: DivaCup Question & Answer.

January 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM
isolt's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to isolt
that was helpful. I will definitely be trying it when AF comes back. Thanks!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

January 21st, 2009, 04:10 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With the way I live overseas and rarely could find the tampons I like I was introduced to the diva cup from fellow roadwife who used it. She explained and at first I was nervous but after being suck in no-where-ville India I decided to give it a try----- I LOVE the diva cup. It travels GREAT, I can wear it when I scuba dived/cliff jumping/waterskiing and not have issues with it leaking or anything. I wear mine for a full day on light to med flow days and only empty it every 12 hours on my heavy day. IT IS GREAT! I have gotten most of my friends using it! I have only had one person so far not like it...she thought she could feel it all the time, however she never used tampons because she also felt them all the time.
June 11th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Regular
Love it!! I have been using this for 4 years and no leaks...ever!

Kayla '96, Ben '98, Emily '00, Cassie '02, Zoe '04, Abby '06, Cooper '08, #8 due 2/14/10

June 11th, 2009, 03:03 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I love my Diva Cup too! Great info and very thorough!

July 20th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I am really looking forward to getting one! Thanks for the awesome info!
July 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Another diva cup lover here too... Kate said it all so I'm not even going to comment further. haha.

July 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM
benandali's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow you all seem to really like it!! I was looking into that months ago but again, SCARED! I am a faithful tampon user! I can't stand any type of liner or pad.

Soooo how is this in comparison to tampons? I guess I picture this huge funnel looking thing going up there and I dont know..again scares me! But I'd love to switch to something not disposable...
September 18th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I LOVE my Diva Cup. Used it my whole last cycle, NO tampons and of course no pads (ick!) I didnt have a single leak.

The first day I needed to empty it more like every 8 hrs but I have a really heavy flow at first. When I use tampons I need to change even a super every two hours so for 8 hours I was SO happy! lol By the second night I was just doing it once every 12 hrs. Its such a nice feeling never having to worry about it. I just deal with it at noon and at midnight and that's it. I couldnt even tell I had it in. I also prefer the C hold for insertion and removal.

Ladies get one, play around with it BEFORE your period and practice taking it out, and putting it in. After 3 or 4 times you'll have it down. Cleanup takes a second, and its back in and good to go. I will never ever go back!

Girl (12), Boy (9), Boy (4), Boy (2)
Expecting Baby #5 Christmas Eve 2014 TEAM PINK!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

September 19th, 2010, 11:39 AM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for this review~ I plan on getting one once AF returns.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
November 4th, 2010, 01:36 PM
missrebel's Avatar Grow Baby Grow!!!
Send a message via Skype™ to missrebel
Okay...so I generally stick close to the TTC#1 board, but I was lurking and stumbled across this review. I go to another forum (a long distance hiking one) and some of the women there RAVE about the diva cup...but just one forum wasn't enough. So then I saw this one...and today I bought one. Hopefully it will jinx me though and I'll get my bfp and won't be able to try it for a long long while!

Megan
Wife to David SAHM to Kathryn

November 5th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good Luck! I hope you wont need it anytime soon though

Still loving my Diva Cup by the way! I've had 4 AF's since my AF returned (three with my DC) there is just no way I could ever ever go back to yucky tampons!

Girl (12), Boy (9), Boy (4), Boy (2)
Expecting Baby #5 Christmas Eve 2014 TEAM PINK!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

February 22nd, 2011, 05:43 PM
NavyWifey's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't care that I'm being a thread necromancer.

I have used the Diva Cup exclusively for about 6 years now. It is my #1 favorite hygiene product, and I will be using them until the end of time.

Just figured I would add my endorsement.

Siggie by the lovely and talented GraysMama
March 29th, 2011, 09:45 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I could love it. I tried and tried and tried and could never get it to fit right. I think it's because of my tilted uterus----like, my anatomy down there must be different. I don't think there is anything wrong with the product itself, though.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search