is this normal? pain after d&c

Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was told I'd have some cramping after (and of course bleeding) and was prescribed percocet. only enough for two days. the nurse who called to check on me the day after the d&c said i shouldn't be in enough pain to need more than that. but my d&c was thursday and here we are on tuesday and i'm still having a constant dull ache in my lower abdomen and i get sore walking from the couch to the kitchen sink! my DH says i need to call the dr b/c they way they described to him what i would experience makes this sound like something's wrong.

so, just wondering if anyone had pain for this many days after. as far as i'm concerned, it's prob "normal" as they say everything is....no it's NOT normal that i lost my baby and i don't feel normal at all! but just seems like everytime i ask a question i get the standard "it's normal, don't worry...."
March 10th, 2009, 10:00 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
no, its not normal. A d&c clears out everything in the uteris, only giving you minimal bleeding and light cramping. Depending on far along you were, and the size of the uteris at the time of the procedure will influence how the uteris contracts. The bigger the uteris, the more contractions you will feel for several days. Uterine contrations are a good sign that the uteris is going back to its original size. As long as the bleeding is minimal. I had had several d&c's relating to m/c and other uterine procedures and have had to go back due to infection after the d&c, they gave me a antibiotic that is called flagin, or something like that, and it basically kills anyting that might of been left behind. Call your dr, because pain like that should not be ignored.
March 11th, 2009, 06:01 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I had persistent pain after my (emergency) d&c, but it wasn't as severe as yours. When in doubt, call the doctor. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

March 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I can't remember if I had pain after my d&c since it was so long ago but I'm thinking I didn't. I agree with the other ladies that you should call your doctor.

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

March 11th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Ryleeroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At 20 weeks, I had a D&E in which they inserted seaweed inside me to dialate me. After my procedure I had very minimal cramping a light bleeding. What your describing sounds like the pain I was feeling the night beforehand. I am sure everyone reacts different and all is probably normal, but I would call your doctor. Better safe then sorry!

KUP!
McKenna Claire 3-12-2010
Angel in Heaven 3/16/2011- 12.3 weeks
March 11th, 2009, 11:37 AM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
I'm a firm believer in giving the Dr a call. If it just doesn't seem right it never hurts to call and ask questions.
March 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
I had a natural mc (induced with meds) and also had pain up to 5 days after. At first, I had sharp pains in both my sides + cramping. Felt like my ovaries were going to explode. then a few days later it felt like someone was stabbing my uterus with a knife. It was even difficult to go to the bathroom. But because I wasn't bleeding and my levels were going real low, they didn't seem concerned and sent me home from the ER. So maybe it's just the uterus contracting to shrink in size ..IDK. It's better to have a doc look at you, you might have an infection if something was left behind. Are you bleeding heavily??? hope you get better soon!!!!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

March 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I had a natural mc (induced with meds) and also had pain up to 5 days after. At first, I had sharp pains in both my sides + cramping. Felt like my ovaries were going to explode. then a few days later it felt like someone was stabbing my uterus with a knife. It was even difficult to go to the bathroom. But because I wasn't bleeding and my levels were going real low, they didn't seem concerned and sent me home from the ER. So maybe it's just the uterus contracting to shrink in size ..IDK. It's better to have a doc look at you, you might have an infection if something was left behind. Are you bleeding heavily??? hope you get better soon!!!!

March 11th, 2009, 06:08 PM

March 12th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
I had a d/e on the 6th of Feb. I had very little pain, and no cramping. I would agree with Sheila I think you should call the Dr.

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
March 12th, 2009, 06:33 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had the D&C on a Sunday, and tried to go back to work the Tuesday after, but I was in too much pain (both physically and emotionally). Physically, I had sort of pulling pains low in my uterus that got worse if I was active or if I sat in a chair for long periods of time. This lasted almost that entire week, I think. I was worried that something was wrong, so I went to the doctor and they did two tests to make sure I didn't have an infection (one was a urine test and one a vaginal swab).

I agree with the other ladies...give the doctor a call just in case. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this. Please KUP if you can *HUGS*

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
March 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had my D&C 2 days ago. I have no more bleeding but I still do have mild cramps and am just generally sore.My legs, hips and back is sore from being in the lithotomy position during the surgery. That may be part of what your feeling as well. Everyone has different pain tolerances, I don't think it's totally abnormal but if you are concerned def. call the dr. I would also be taking your temp just to make sure there is no fever.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful Siggy!

March 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks for all the advice. i ended up going to see my dr. and it wasn't normal, so i had a second d&c. didn't even get around to reading all the replies til after i already was home from the hospital. but thanks!
March 14th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm sorry that you had to have another D&C! That sucks. But I hope that you're feeling better now.

March 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
I am so sorry you had to go through that again. HUGS!

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
March 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry that you had to go through that again. I hope you're feeling better. *HUGS*

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
December 9th, 2011, 02:22 AM
I recently had my d&c 4 days ago and I get severe Pains that come and go as they please I mean I do everything my doctor has told me too I don't know if it's because it was my first pregnancy or the fact that the baby had been dead for 3 weeks inside me and I never knew. I'll explain my situation a little bit better. I'm 16 and I had been that one and a million to get pregnant on using birth control and him using a condom. I went in on a Friday to my first ultra sound I was supposedly 11 weeks only the baby had died 3 weeks before. it happened so fast that I was on my way to get my blood drawn for an emergency d&c Monday morning. Not only am I dealing with the fact that I lost the baby but the fact that I had no idea that my baby had died. Our families were so supportive and even though were young we were ready ( plus I had already raised my 2 little siblings from birth because my mom has fibermyalaga). Me and my boyfriend have been together for 9 months but we've known eachother for 10 years, But back on the subject, my pains come and go and my medicine won't even take the edge off of it..... Really all they gave me Is Ibuprofen. What should I do? It hurts sooooo bad but I don't want to waste money to hear that it's just normal. Help please???
December 9th, 2011, 03:55 AM
faygeo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to faygeo
i have had 3 d&c's and about to go for my 4th. on monday. my last d&c was this past february and i don't remember having that bad of pain 4 days after any of them. I think i would go see my ob if i were you. they will be able to tell you if you have anything remaining or an infection. you can never be too safe.. good luck.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search