Doctor appointment

Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
MandyRS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I went in to the OB today. On one hand I was terribly disappointed- not only is she of the 'I don't really help until you've had 3 miscarriages' variety, but she made it pretty clear that she thinks there is no such thing as progesterone deficiency, which disturbed me. The good news was though, is that she IS willing to prescribe the progesterone supplements for my peace of mind regardless- and admits that she has seen women who miscarry repeatedly have healthy pregnancies with the progesterone (which makes me go -but whatever...). She offered to give me pills that will make me have a period, then give me clomid to make me ovulate, then start me on progesterone supplements to support a possible pregnancy. It sounds very tidy and predictable and tempting, but I am debating the pros and cons of going through such an engineered process at this point... any opinions? She did do a blood test for a couple of hormones and glucose (of course she suspects PCOS), and will call me with those results tomorrow. I will update then.

THANK YOU to *Sharon* for my perfect siggy.
April 8th, 2009, 05:47 AM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im so sorry you are going through this, its just not fair.

My dr. does not really believe in progesterone either. His reasoning is that I have had 4 children without progesterone. I was put on the progesterone pills after seeing the heart beat with this last one. My progesterone dropped to 8.7 and I was terrified. He only did it because I wanted it. He believes that the pregnancy was doomed since the beginning and when the baby died he even reiterated that it had nothing to do with progesterone. My levels had gone up to almost 30 with the supplements and the baby still died. So that further makes him believe that progesterone was not the cause. Makes sense to me now, but I have heard so many women that have taken it and went on to have viable pregnancies. As long as she is willing to write the prescription, than at least you know you are doing everything possible for your baby. Good luck to you sweetie.
April 8th, 2009, 08:53 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry to hear that your appointment didn't go so well Doctors really piss me off sometimes.

I find it strange that she wouldn't even do tests but she's willing to give you prescriptions. To be honest, I would find a doctor who was willing to respond to your concerns. Just keep in mind that even if you stay with this doctor for now, is she really someone you would want looking after you and baby once you are pregnant?

Good luck, hon!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
April 9th, 2009, 11:19 AM
SheilaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to SheilaRN
So did you get the results yet?

As for the pros and cons....what are you thinking about? I know many ladies who have had to have medical assistance to have a healthy pg and wouldn't change a thing. Have you checked out the Medical Assitance board? I bet those ladies could really give you some helpful info.
April 9th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Still no results... we had a huge phone meltdown today during office hours in CA (SF Bay Area). It was the talk of the town. No cell phones, landlines or internet for almost everyone. At DH's school they had NONE of the above. SCARY. No way to call 911, police, or even to get the bus drivers to come and bring the kids home. Thank God the day passed without event. Apparently it was vandalism (on the part of someone who knew exactly what they were doing- possibly an angry worker).

So hopefully I will get my results tomorrow, will update THEN. I think I will for sure take some medical assistance- progesterone supplements without a doubt. Possibly Clomid too. Don't think I am going to artificially provoke AF though, I have a feeling she's on her witchy way on her very own.

Plus we may now be waiting an undetermined amount of time to TTC because of DH's job situation. We may lose insurance over the summer if he switches jobs, and no WAY do I want to be pregnant with no insurance. It makes me sooo sad and I am really down right now, but I have to be responsible for our future baby's sake. Keep your fingers crossed that we find out about the job SOON, and if he does end up changing jobs, that we can afford COBRA in the meantime! I wanna make a baby NOW! YESTERDAY, actually...

April 10th, 2009, 07:42 AM
LadyLacy's Avatar Super Mommy
saying my prayers Mandy

M/C 6wks 4days Jan09 & 4wks 5days Nov 05, 3/25/09dnc[10wks 3d]Jan/24/2010[11wks baby stopped growing at 7+ wks]
April 10th, 2009, 07:57 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What is progesterone deficiency? Would it be something that I would want to look into concidering my age? Could it have been the cause of my baby not growing?

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

April 10th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy123 View Post
What is progesterone deficiency? Would it be something that I would want to look into concidering my age? Could it have been the cause of my baby not growing?
Missy- I am not sure, but I don't think age is necessarily a factor. I am only 26 and facing this problem. I do think PCOS can indicate low progesterone though. If you have irregular periods check with your doc about a blood test. Also, I am pretty sure low progesterone doesn't CAUSE the baby to stop growing... just prevents your body from being able to support the pregnancy before the placenta takes over in the second trimester. I am no doctor though, and this is just what I've gathered from my own research, so check with your dr for sure.

April 10th, 2009, 10:11 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you Mandy. I appreciate your help. I am sorry you are going through this with the doctor, but glad you were able to be strong enough to stick up for what you felt was right. Wishing you all the best.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

April 11th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Missy- Just wanted to let you know, my mom says I am wrong... age IS a factor. It is more common in women who are older. She had me and my brother in her twenties with no problem, but went through 4 losses just a few years later before finding she had a progesterone deficiency. She took daily progesterone supplements through the first trimester with my little bro, and he was born healthy and full term. Ask your doctor, and if they look down their nose when you suggest a progesterone deficiency- find another doctor! It is definitely worth looking into.

April 11th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Mandy at what age does your mom say it can be a factor? tia

M/C 6wks 4days Jan09 & 4wks 5days Nov 05, 3/25/09dnc[10wks 3d]Jan/24/2010[11wks baby stopped growing at 7+ wks]
April 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
It sounds like in the end you now have some sripts, and tests being done, that is a good thing! I hope you get some answers. Good Luck!

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
April 12th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLacy View Post
Mandy at what age does your mom say it can be a factor? tia
I'm not sure if you can say exactly. I am only 26 and being effected by it, but I think it is in large part tied in with my PCOS, which has been a problem since my first period at 13. For women who don't have PCOS, I'm not sure... but keep doing your research! I keep asking around and am amazed at how many women have told me they miscarry every time without progesterone. At least you may have the peace of mind of knowing that if you take the progesterone and still lose the baby, you did everything you possibly could and the pregnancy was almost definitely not viable.

April 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM
ah I see. I will thank you. well, I'm having the RPL done and am thinking of asking for the T4 test for thyroid and the pcos bw as well. I've had pcos symptoms since starting menstration...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search