Autopsy Results (xposted)

Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
The proximal cause of death was anhydramnios - no amniotic fluid. Ethan had no amniotic fluid because his kidneys were severely malformed. He also had intestinal malformations and a two vessel cord (he was supposed to have 3 vessels). Because he had no amniotic fluid, his lungs failed to develop. He got plenty of oxygen from me, but he would not have been able to breathe after birth. But he would not have made it to birth - if we had not induced delivery, they think he would have died just a few weeks later. His little heart was so strong, and so healthy, but everything else was badly damaged. I was already in labor when we induced. So we know we made the right decision.

The reason Ethan had all these birth defects was because of diabetes - MY diabetes. But because I had no symptoms (like 1/3 of all diabetics) no one actually knew I was diabetic until the damage had been done. With enough psychotherapy, I will probably stop blaming myself at some point.

The only good news is that this won't happen to any future children. With the help of my doctors, and through my own hard work, my blood sugar is now better than most non-diabetics. We miss Ethan terribly, but we are looking forward to giving him a few siblings.

We didn't really learn anything new with this autopsy - just that he was much sicker than we realized. And the autopsy report didn't list my diabetes as a cause of death, because there is no test that can confirm that for sure (autopsy reports are legal documents and can't guess at things). But the fact that it was my diabetes that made him sick has been confirmed by the head of the department of maternal fetal medicine. So we know that is the cause, even if the autopsy report can quite say it.

Thank you so much for all of your support these past few months - you'll never know how helpful it has been. Hopefully in a few months I'll finally have some good news to share!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

April 29th, 2009, 12:21 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Rebecca honey, I can't even imagine going through that. I'm so sorry. I know that you said that you're working through it, but I just have to say this - it was NOT your fault. You didn't know.

You are an incredibly strong woman with a beautiful heart. You're going to be an amazing mommy one day.

Huge *HUGS*

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
April 29th, 2009, 01:57 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I seriously am crying for you honey. I am so sorry. Please dont blame yourself. As P said - you are going to be a fantastic mommy someday.

Many, Many Hugs,

Missy

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

April 29th, 2009, 04:16 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im so glad you finally have closure on this, your beautiful son. And one day hopefully soon you will find the strength to not blame yourself. You are and will be again a wonderful mommy and any baby will be blessed to have you as a mommy.
April 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Addie
I am new here, but I am so terribly sorry for you loss. I lost Baby B yesterday, but I keep telling myself that everything happens for a reason. I hope you have great news soon!

April 29th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
(((HUGS)))
Please don't blame yourself you didn't know, most people don't. I have thought they test at risk people too late in pregnancy. Dr thought I was stupid when I told them I had it at 11 wks. The rules need to be changed to protect mothers and babies.
I pray you give Ethan a few siblings to watch over.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

April 30th, 2009, 11:40 PM
lilflower
Rebecca, I am so sorry to hear that about your little Ethan. My thoughts are with you, and please don't blame yourself. I know that it is much easier to say that than actually do it, but don't..it will only tear you apart. Now that your diabetes is under control having another child is a safe thing. If you ever need anyone to talk to about that blaming yourself thing, feel free to PM me. It's been over a year now since I lost my precious Noah, and I still blame myself from day to day.
May 1st, 2009, 03:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry to hear about Ethan's results. I agree with all the other ladies - you did not know, this is NOT your fault. But I know you can't help how you feel. I blamed myself for a while with my (early) loss - I felt I couldn't blame anyone else and I needed to be mad at someone.

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
May 1st, 2009, 08:02 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I know logically that it's not my fault, but I still feel so guilty. DH has been trying hard to convince me, I think it's going to be awhile before I get it straight in my head.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

May 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Kary♥RN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kary♥RN Send a message via Yahoo to Kary♥RN
Rebecca it is not your fault!!! You had no idea you were not well. Diabetes is silent... Now you can be healthy in honor of Ethan!!!! HUGS to you Rebecca...

Thank you GraysMama For my BEAUTIFUL Siggy!!!

BFP 11/09/08 M/C 11/11/08 BFP 01/02/09 M/C 01/29/09 BFP 08/26/09 M/C 10/02/09 Missing our 3 Angles
May 3rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Rebecca, I am so sorry, but it is not your fault

May 4th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Ryleeroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Stay positive Rebecca! It is nothing you did wrong, and I think you are very brave for sharing your story. It is very very very close to my heart!!
I hope that we both can have happy healthy pregnancies very soon!
McKenna Claire 3-12-2010
Angel in Heaven 3/16/2011- 12.3 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search