Emily Dickinson poem that helped me so much...

Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM
MandyRS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just blogged about this poem... you can click below if you want to read my thoughts on it. But generally, I think this is just an amazing poem about grief and really altered my perception of "levels" of grief and helped me stop secretly comparing my grief to others. I hope some of you find some comfort in it as well.

'Tis good- the looking back on Grief-
To re-endure a Day-
We thought the mighty funeral-
Of all conceived Joy-

To recollect how Busy Grass
Did meddle- one by one-
Till all the Grief with Summer- waved
And none could see the stone.

And though the Wo you have Today
Be larger- As the Sea
Exceeds it's unremembered Drop-
They're Water- equally

THANK YOU to *Sharon* for my perfect siggy.
May 27th, 2009, 05:05 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To be honest, I don't really understand it I'm not good with all that Shakespearean stuff (Even though I got high marks on it in high school )

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
May 30th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Duh... I am so oblivious sometimes in my lit dork haze... I'll provide a little analysis (my own of course, and not by any means 'the last word').

The way I see it, the poem is basically a narrator reflecting on grief that she once experienced. She starts by saying it is good to look back on the day that the grief began, because in one way, its behind her now. Even though she thought then that she could never feel joy again, now (however much time later) she knows that she has the capacity to heal and move forward with her life.

The second verse is more difficult. I see it as imagery- the grass around a tombstone being like people gathering around or fixating on a source of grief. But like grass grows taller in the summer sun and eventually obscures the tomb from sight, in the same way, good things in our lives eventually take precedence over our grief and we sometimes even forget its there.

To me, the last verse is looking at going through grief yet again, or looking at a new source of pain. It kind of draws comfort from the past, because the narrator now knows that she can get through it, AND at the same time, she's reminded that her past grief is never really gone (which IS comforting, in an odd way). Even though the new grief may feel stronger (larger as the sea), the old grief still matters (the drop). She comes to a recognition that there is no 'size' when it comes to grief- the sea is made up of drops, and raindrops are drawn from the sea. Basically, its kind of the "we're all in this together" kind of realization.

To me it was a comforting thought of how futile it is to try and 'compare' one grief to another. I love the last line: They're Water- equally. The image also brings to mind the ebb and flow of pain that we ALL go through in life, regardless of the source. And reminds me that we NEED to be there for each other, to give each other the freedom to kind of 'dump our bucket' of grief into the sea, and be acknowledged for it. We don't need to go diving into the sea to try and separate out everyone's portion to determine who has more.

KWIM? LOL... maybe I'm weird. But finding stuff like this is a huge comfort to me.

May 30th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
excellent analysis. I also like that last line. I actually see a lot of people comparing themselves to me, being that I cohost this subforum where predominantly losses are early, and mine was so much later.

I truly don't believe my pain is any worse than anyone else's. It's just...different. In the end, we all hurt.

May 31st, 2009, 07:03 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! I totally understand it now! That poem is great. Thank you for sharing!

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
May 31st, 2009, 07:32 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like that last paragraph. To me it reminds me that every every grief is just a drop in the sea made up of all our moments... they're all water, all blended together to make this tapestry that is our lives.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
May 31st, 2009, 01:16 PM
ldovey83's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That was a great poem.. I love Emily Dickenson. Thanks for sharing it with us and for breaking it down..
June 1st, 2009, 01:19 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one to find some peace in those words... I really love Emily Dickinson.

I don't think any of us are completely guiltless of comparing our losses to others, regardless of when and how they happened, which is why I love it so much.

June 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Thank you SO much for sharing the poem and your anaysis. It really is wonderful! I love Emily Dickinson in general, and that poem was very moving.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search