Still bleeding... 9 weeks after D&C! No idea when it will stop...

Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Hi ladies! I'm looking for feedback! Answers, opinions, suggestions, your experiences, and just someone to listen to me. Thank you ahead of time!

My Story
I'm 19, married, and lost my first pregnancy almost 9 weeks ago. I was 11 weeks when I had my first ultrasound. I found out my baby had stopped growing at 8 weeks and had no heartbeat. We immediately got moved to another room to discuss options. My doctor didn't give me the option of waiting it out. She told me she could prescribe me pills to start the passing or schedule a D&C. I wanted to do it at home but she didn't believe I was strong enough and she said I could still do it but really pushed the D&C so me and my husband agreed it was the best option. The only available time they had was the next day and she wouldn't let me push it back until the next week. So I had my D&C on 1/25/12. I will take this moment to apologize for all the TMI that will follow. I had really pink watery discharge the night of my D&C and the next three days. Then there was a day and a half of spotting red but there wasn't much. Then I started heavy red/black bleeding for almost a week with painful cramps and passing clots. Then it was brown spotting for over a week. It got so light, it was only when i wiped but at 3 weeks and 1 day after the D&C I started bleeding red again. It felt like a period but I called my doctor's office just to be sure. I was told by a nurse that it was most likely my period and that I could have bleeding anytime after the D&C. It lasted almost a week and then went to brown spotting again. Sometime around 5 weeks (give or take a few days, I can't see my calendar right now) I started bleeding red again and that lasted almost a week. Then there was two days of brown spotting and then it became red again with a day of thick black/dark red bleeding. That lasted for 6 days then 7 days of brown spotting mixed with red spotting. After that 3 days of red bleeding. Ever since then it's been spotting red and brown and yesterday (25th) towards the later hours, I wiped and there was no blood for the very first time since the D&C. However, there was still brown spotting on my pad. Also, earlier that day I had a clear mucus mixed with a little red blood. For the last week, I've been passing small brown clots that are smaller than a pea. I have a doctor's appointment today.

My HCG has been dropping. At three weeks past D&C, it was 126. Then at 4 weeks it was 53. At 5 weeks it was 25. I couldn't get the chance to go again until about 8 weeks and my HCG was 7.25 whichever day it was plus I went to a different lab because work issues prevented me from using my regular lab. (I was told different machines may spit out different numbers and it's best to use the same lab to measure the most accurate).

My husband told me that after the surgery, the doctor had told him that my surgery went very well. There was no complications and she had gotten everything. I haven't had any cramps since the week after the procedure. I haven't been running a fever at all. The bleeding has never completely stopped. When it wasn't red, it was brown spotting. Also, I've never had to change my pad more than 4 to 5 times a day. The only things that have been bothering me is nausea and I broke out with terrible acne. My face has always been relatively clear except for a pimple or two every now and then so this was completely unexpected. When I called my doctor's office to schedule the appointment and find out the HCG results, the nurse I talked to said it sounded like my hormones were trying to straighten themselves out the way the bleeding was switching between brown and red. I never told her about the acne or nausea but will discuss it with my doctor later today. After the D&C, I was prescribed medicine to contract my uterus back to normal size (at least that's what I was told it would do), as well as Ibuprofen 800 mg to help with the pain (not sure if I mentioned this earlier).

Two weeks after the D&C, I had a follow up appointment. My doctor just asked how I was feeling and told me to wait 4 to 6 months before trying to get pregnant again. She also gave me a paper to help track my period and scheduled an appointment for me in May. She never checked my cervix or felt to make sure my uterus went back to normal.

My pregnancy was unplanned and my periods before I got pregnant were irregular. I didn't know I was pregnant until almost 7 weeks. My husband had told me I was and to go take a test. I told him it would be negative but I was wrong.

Ok, I think I mentioned everything I feel I should right now. So does anyone have any idea why I'm still bleeding? Could it be retained tissue even though the doctor was sure she got everything and my HCG has been dropping? Could my body just be taking longer to heal? Anyone else go through something similar or know someone who has? Any thoughts are welcome and feel free to share you experience(s). Thank you for reading and sorry it's so long!
March 26th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm not sure. I didn't have a D&C. I'd get checked out by a doctor. I don't think the bleeding is supposed to last that long. It sounds like it's more typical for it to last about 2 weeks.
March 27th, 2012, 04:22 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a D&C after I started hemorrhaging uncontrollably. I had gone home to try to have a "natural" miscarriage...even though natural is a poor usage of the word, IMO. After I started bleeding really heavily they rushed me in for an emergency D&C. After the procedure I had just a very little pink/light red spotting that resolved within a week. It was only enough to warrant a pantyliner, not even a regular pad.
I also got prescribed medication to contract the uterus (I think it was called Methergine). They gave me the option of pain pills but I didn't ever have any cramps bad enough to warrant them.
I'd say if you're still bleeding then you would definitely want a second opinion. Is there any way you can talk to the surgeon who did the D&C? Perhaps that person could give you some further insight as to why you'd still be bleeding.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Last edited by EverydayJoy; March 27th, 2012 at 04:27 PM.
March 27th, 2012, 05:12 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I'm so sorry for your loss. As for the bleeding I would be checked out just to make sure it's not retained tissue. It could be just that your body needs time to get back to normal. I know that after every one of my losses my body has been so out of whack and has taken varying amounts of time to get back to normal. I hope that helps hun.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

March 29th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Dee
I'm sorry for your loss. And it's especially sad that you're still dealing with the related medical issues so long after.

Have you had a chance to go back for another follow up appointment? (I noticed this was posted elsewhere and you'd mentioned only a few female Gyns available, and trouble scheduling an appointment?)

I went through a time in my 20s when I'd get a lot of "Hm, that's odd." responses from doctors about uterine and cervical issues, but very few answers. In general, things turned out okay, but it meant I had to be my own advocate. To do this, I kept very careful records of patterns in between doctor's visits so I could give them a lot of information because I wanted one of two answers: (1) "Hm, that is odd, but I am not concerned because XYZ." or (2) "Hm, that is odd, and I am concerned, so here is what we are going to do about it."

It's possible the bleeding is odd and not dangerous, and only your doctor can tell you that. But we don't bleed for no reason at all, so make sure your doctor can at least offer you reassurance, if not answers.

I hope you get the information and support you need when you go back to see them.
March 31st, 2012, 04:49 AM
pepper73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm really sorry for your loss and for this long nightmare of recovery you've been going through. Bleeding for that long does not seem like it's ok and I'd seek out a second opinion from a different doctor. I'm concerned that your doctor pushed you so hard to have the D & C and hasn't tried to find out the reason for all of your bleeding. What did she say at your appointment? Has the bleeding come back?
April 3rd, 2012, 09:34 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Megan, just wondering how you're doing and if you found out anything else from the doctor's. Send us an update as you're able

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Thinking of you

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search