Log In Sign Up

My D&C yesterday


Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
May 10th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Malibu, CA
Posts: 901
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Hi, everybody! Well, it's done. Went in yesterday around 2pm and the procedure went well. Was totally drugged and sleepy for the rest of the day, but it was nice to be able to lay around afterwards and have an excuse to do so. I felt very sad about the whole thing, but it didn't really hit me until last night when I was getting ready for bed. I just couldn't stop missing that itsy-bitsy baby that had been inside me all this time and felt mad and cheated for not getting to meet him.

I'm better today, feeling rested, even took a spin class this morning! I know, I'm nuts. I've got 6 pounds to lose and am hoping some of it is water retention and comes off quickly. Here at work right now and feeling fine. One thing I'm very grateful for is that the severe nausea seems to have mostly passed, which within itself is such a blessing. I'm finally beginning to feel a little more back to "normal". Thanks for all your well-wishes on my last post. It means so much to me to have your support.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #2  
May 10th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Krisnina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 1,076
I'm glad you are feeling better and the D&C went well.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #3  
May 10th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,105
I'm glad the D&C went well. I didn't have a D&C, but I found that my symptoms went away pretty quickly once everything passed. I understand what you mean about feeling cheated. it sucks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
May 11th, 2012, 06:34 AM
AimeeD041727's Avatar PowerPuffGirls
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 1,898
Thinking of you! I can't believe you went and took a spinning class! After my D & E, I felt "normal" within a few days. But just watch because the more I pushed myself, I started to spot more.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
May 11th, 2012, 10:17 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,583
Glad you're home and feeling well! I had an unusually traumatic m/c so I didn't feel up to doing anything for weeks. But I'm glad you are feeling energetic enough to get out there and do that class!
I hope you can continue to heal emotionally as time passes.
__________________


Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
Reply With Quote
  #6  
May 11th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Malibu, CA
Posts: 901
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Thanks, Ladies. I'm feeling pretty crappy today emotionally. I'm thinking my hormones are partly responsible. Does it get better??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeD041727 View Post
Thinking of you! I can't believe you went and took a spinning class! After my D & E, I felt "normal" within a few days. But just watch because the more I pushed myself, I started to spot more.
I know, it was probably a dumb move, but exercise is like Prozac for me and I need all I can get right now. Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
Glad you're home and feeling well! I had an unusually traumatic m/c so I didn't feel up to doing anything for weeks. But I'm glad you are feeling energetic enough to get out there and do that class!
I hope you can continue to heal emotionally as time passes.
Thank you so much for your support. I really need every last bit of it right now. Do you mind sharing your story with me? If not, I completely understand.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #7  
May 11th, 2012, 04:23 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaBadola View Post
Thank you so much for your support. I really need every last bit of it right now. Do you mind sharing your story with me? If not, I completely understand.
Not at all.
I started spotting close to the time I was going to hit the 12 week marker, at least by dates anyway. I went to the ER and there was no heartbeat, and the baby was measuring 7 weeks. I wanted to m/c at home, so the doc wrote me an Rx for pain medication in case I needed it, and told me what to look out for, etc. Went home, had some spotting but nothing serious for a couple days, and then on day 3 it started in earnest. I could tell because I was getting crampy feelings and then the bleeding started getting heavier. Then it kept getting heavier and heavier and heavier until I felt like I couldn't get off the toilet without dripping blood all over the floor. I told DH that I would be in the bathroom for awhile, and he asked how much bleeding there was...he freaked out when he saw what was going on (he's an EMT) and got me to the hospital, pronto. They say no more than 1 pad per hour and I was soaking like 1 pad in 10 minutes. I put on one of my son's diaper's to hold off the bleeding and we headed out...by the time they started doing my vitals at the ER (about 10 minutes later or so) the blood was running down my leg.
I had an emergency D&C a half an hour later, after nearly passing out in the ER room, and then stayed overnight. They also gave me 2 units of blood. I was discharged the next afternoon, only to come back in that evening with chest pains. Found out I had a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung). It was only a single clot in the lower lung, so it wasn't exactly life threatening, just made me short of breath and would get chest pains off and on. They started me on blood thinners and kept me for another couple of days and then I went home. Finally.
When I first got home I couldn't do much. Just walking slowly up the stairs to our 2nd level apartment would make me short of breath. I did a lot of lying down and had friends and family come by to check on me after hubby had to go back to work. It took me a good 3 weeks before I was back to semi-normal, since I had been low on blood volume it takes a little while for the body to make more red blood cells. Every now and then I'd get random chest pains but now they're all gone. I'll be on blood thinners for 3 more months unless I can convince my doctor to let me off the hook early. I also have to have an IUD right now to prevent pregnancy since the blood thinners are dangerous to developing babies.

Now I'm just trying to get my depression under control and try to take back some control over when I can start TTC. I'm not ready to TTC yet, but I want to be able to do it when I feel like it, and not be locked in to 3 more months of waiting. Plus I feel like all the medications I'm on are contributing to my mood problems. I won't know that for sure until I am able to stop taking some of them.

Anyway, hope that's not more than you wanted to know...but feel free to ask questions if you wanted to know more. I'm happy to share.

How are you coping today?
__________________


Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
Reply With Quote
  #8  
May 11th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Malibu, CA
Posts: 901
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
Not at all.
I started spotting close to the time I was going to hit the 12 week marker, at least by dates anyway. I went to the ER and there was no heartbeat, and the baby was measuring 7 weeks. I wanted to m/c at home, so the doc wrote me an Rx for pain medication in case I needed it, and told me what to look out for, etc. Went home, had some spotting but nothing serious for a couple days, and then on day 3 it started in earnest. I could tell because I was getting crampy feelings and then the bleeding started getting heavier. Then it kept getting heavier and heavier and heavier until I felt like I couldn't get off the toilet without dripping blood all over the floor. I told DH that I would be in the bathroom for awhile, and he asked how much bleeding there was...he freaked out when he saw what was going on (he's an EMT) and got me to the hospital, pronto. They say no more than 1 pad per hour and I was soaking like 1 pad in 10 minutes. I put on one of my son's diaper's to hold off the bleeding and we headed out...by the time they started doing my vitals at the ER (about 10 minutes later or so) the blood was running down my leg.
I had an emergency D&C a half an hour later, after nearly passing out in the ER room, and then stayed overnight. They also gave me 2 units of blood. I was discharged the next afternoon, only to come back in that evening with chest pains. Found out I had a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung). It was only a single clot in the lower lung, so it wasn't exactly life threatening, just made me short of breath and would get chest pains off and on. They started me on blood thinners and kept me for another couple of days and then I went home. Finally.
When I first got home I couldn't do much. Just walking slowly up the stairs to our 2nd level apartment would make me short of breath. I did a lot of lying down and had friends and family come by to check on me after hubby had to go back to work. It took me a good 3 weeks before I was back to semi-normal, since I had been low on blood volume it takes a little while for the body to make more red blood cells. Every now and then I'd get random chest pains but now they're all gone. I'll be on blood thinners for 3 more months unless I can convince my doctor to let me off the hook early. I also have to have an IUD right now to prevent pregnancy since the blood thinners are dangerous to developing babies.

Now I'm just trying to get my depression under control and try to take back some control over when I can start TTC. I'm not ready to TTC yet, but I want to be able to do it when I feel like it, and not be locked in to 3 more months of waiting. Plus I feel like all the medications I'm on are contributing to my mood problems. I won't know that for sure until I am able to stop taking some of them.

Anyway, hope that's not more than you wanted to know...but feel free to ask questions if you wanted to know more. I'm happy to share.

How are you coping today?

Oh my!!!!!!!! Sister, you are lucky you made it! That's horrific! You poor thing. I'm so sorry. It's one thing to have a loss when you think you're that far along, but it's a whole other ball game when on top of that, your health is affected. How discouraging. Thank you so much for sharing that with me. You are a survivor, and you WILL get through this. It never ceases to amaze me how strong we women are and how much we're willing to endure when it comes to having babies. I mean, despite all we've been through, we STILL want to risk going through it all again. Now if that isn't proof of why are species is thriving, I don't know what is. Anyway, I really truly hope you get it all sorted out soon and feel strong again. You deserve it after all you've been through.

Today was a hard day for me. I'm sure my hormones are all over the place right now, but I've just been so emotional and weepy since I swung my feet out of bed this morning. And I feel like everywhere I go, there are healthy, robust pregnant women EVERYWHERE. It's so painful. I hate being mopey and sad--it's so not me--and I hate feeling sorry for myself. But right now I just can't help it...
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #9  
May 12th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,105
I'm 4.5 months out from my loss, and even though I'm pregnant again it isn't better. It's just easier. I still have my moments when I'm crying hysterically over my Gabriel. Especially because part of me feels like now that I'm pregnant again everyone is forgetting about him and I'm the only one who remembers him. You're going to have your good days and bad days. It's perfectly normal. Do what you need to do to grieve the loss of your little one because it's the only way you're going to be able to move forward.
LolaBadola likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
May 12th, 2012, 10:12 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 6,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaBadola View Post
Today was a hard day for me. I'm sure my hormones are all over the place right now, but I've just been so emotional and weepy since I swung my feet out of bed this morning. And I feel like everywhere I go, there are healthy, robust pregnant women EVERYWHERE. It's so painful. I hate being mopey and sad--it's so not me--and I hate feeling sorry for myself. But right now I just can't help it...
I know how that feels, some days you feel pretty good and then others, the grief hits you like a ton of bricks. I am positive that hormones have their part to play, too. Don't feel like you're being sorry for yourself at all...you are grieving. There is a difference. You do what you need to do to move through this, like Belita said.
Even 3.5 months later I still feel sad and empty when I see a pregnant woman. So I understand.

It does get easier with time. I think the adage "Time heals all wounds" is maybe not quite accurate...you never forget, but the pain lessens and you're able to move forward with your life. You won't be stuck grieving forever, but right now it's where you're at...embrace it.
LolaBadola likes this.
__________________


Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0