Question?

Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Super Mommy
Hi Ladies,

So this is my first time posting here. I found out about two weeks ago I was pregnant with twins, but one of them didnt make it and then on Friday I went for a F/U U/S and found out the second twin stopped growing right after the last U/S at around 6 and a half weeks. So on Saturday I took misoprostol trying to bring on the miscarriage, and it didnt work. I took it again on Monday and it didnt work.

Have any of you gone through this before? I really dont want to have to have a D & C. Im so scared of the risks. But I want this to be done. Ive been cramping/backache/bleeding since Saturday but its not picking up. I just dont know what to do?

Thanks for any help-

*Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!*
06/12 11/12

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 13th, 2012, 09:58 AM
1InSummerland's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, I can't help answer your question. I had a D&C with my loss (missed miscarriage diagnosed at 16w) because it was the best option for me at the time. I do want to add, though, if you do have to have a D&C, complications are rather uncommon. Also, you can talk to the anesthesiologist before about what kind of pain management you want during the operation. I asked to be put out completely, and the anesthesiologist was very understanding.

Again - lots of for you. I hope some one else can offer you some input on the misoprostol.

Thank you, Bokkechick, for my beautiful siggy.
Group Leader for Face2 Face Fort Lee and Richmond Area.
Check out my blog! :-) and my blog for Jude.

June 13th, 2012, 12:10 PM
LiamsMother's Avatar Amanda (Amahnda)
I'm so sorry! I had a D&C with my miscarriage, so I don't know about misoprostol. Like Tanya said, there is very little risk with a D&C. A half hour after I came to after the operation, I was walking around with almost no pain at all. I don't know if you've considered this, the good (relatively) thing about the D&C is that you can have a pathologist test the babies' remains and find out a) what was wrong with them and b) what their genders were. This helped me a lot. I was able to know that her loss was a fluke since there were no chromosomal abnormalities. This put me at ease about further pregnancies and I was able to give her a name. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

June 13th, 2012, 12:39 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Steph, so sorry you find yourself here in this situation.
Here is a link for info about miscarriage and the different ways to proceed:
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...diagnosis.html (What to Expect After a Miscarriage or Pregnancy Loss Diagnosis)
I hope that helps you a little bit. Great big

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 13th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have a D&C and miscarried without any meds. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that the physical part is over as quickly and painlessly as possible.
June 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM
~~MeeMee~~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Steph,

I had a similar experience with misoprostol in April. I was diagnosed with a mm/c @ 10weeks, baby had stopped growing at 7 weeks. I had my two doses of misoprostol inserted separated by 3 days. After my first dose I had very little cramping and bleed for a couple hours that day, after second dose I did have some pretty severe cramping and heavy bleeding, which gradually lighted up over the next 3-4 daysÖto very mild spotting and an occasional twinch in my sides. I had f/u appointments every couple of days with u/s which repeatedly showed I had retained tissue, my OB was letting me do this because she knew I didnít want a D&C and was giving my body every chance to pass it on its own. But at two weeks, I was still spotting, having the twinch pain, positive HPT and when she did a pelvic my cervix was completely closed. She basically said there was no way my body was going to pass it on its own anytime soon. She said I might pass it with my first AF, but because of the retained tissue it was still likely producing HCG so my hormones where still messed up so it would be hard to say when that first cycle will be. She also mentioned a concern for an infection of my uterus due to the retained tissue. So at that time I opted for the D&C. I had it done in the OR where I was completely under general anesthetic. To be honest, the led up to the procedure was worse than the recovery. I had little to no pain after and spotted that day and that was it. I also had my first AF two weeks after the D&C, which was really light, just had my second AF which was a couple of days light but normal flow and duration.

Has your OB done a pelvic to see if your cervix is still open? My OB would have given me another couple of days to see if I continued to pass on my own if it was open. But honestly at that time, I was just ready to get it over and done with so I could heal and get back to TTCing.

Iím so sorry you are going through this, I hope my experience letís you know that you arenít alone. I hope at your f/u appointment you find your body has actually passed everythingÖbut if not from what my OB said the retained tissue poses more of a risk then the actual D&C. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

BABY BOY due June 6

Me 40 DH 42 with an amazing 15yo DS
TTC #2 NTNP starting in 2009
actively TTC (BBT and OPKs) 2011
natural BFP Feb 2012, ending in mmc Apr with d&c in May
IVF Sep 2012, 4 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized, but showed abnormal
growth, so not suitable for transfer
Nov 2012 IVF take 2 = 3 embryos, but due to concerns with lining unable to transfer
Jan 2013 endometrial biopsy = normal
Mar FET transferred 2 beautiful embryos, but unfortunately BFN
moving to donor eggs fall of 2013
Septemeber 30, 2013 - surprise BFP while waiting for DE
June 14th, 2012, 01:57 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I am so sorry your having to go thru this. How are you doing?

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

June 14th, 2012, 08:53 PM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
I'm so sorry you're finding yourself here. As far as what to do, it's really up to you. I had a D&C with my first miscarriage, and my 2nd and 3rd were natural. I guess what is important is if you can handle up to a few weeks before a natural miscarriage starts to happen or if you want to get it over with and do a D&C. With D&C you have a very low risk of something happening, and you're up and moving within an hour (although you'll probably be pretty groggy from anesthesia and will sleep most of that day anyways...at least I did).

Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
June 14th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Shortcake:. View Post
I am so sorry your having to go thru this. How are you doing?
Thanks everyone for your advice/support

Im doing ok- I had an U/S today and I cant believe it but apparently all but 1 cm of retained tissue has come out. I havent even really bled more than a light period and only a few small blood clots, plus not too much pain at all! I was floored when I found that out. So at this point they dont want to do a D & C, but they want me to take a 3rd heavier dose of the misoprostol to try to get out the last piece. I have had a fever so they told me to go to the ER if it gets higher than 37.5.

Im really hoping this last piece passes soon so that I can get my cycle back. We would really like to start TTC again soon. Has anyone had this happen before and how long did it take to completely clear? Im supposed to go back for an U/S in two weeks and a blood test.

*Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!*
06/12 11/12

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 15th, 2012, 04:50 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph604 View Post
Thanks everyone for your advice/support

Im doing ok- I had an U/S today and I cant believe it but apparently all but 1 cm of retained tissue has come out. I havent even really bled more than a light period and only a few small blood clots, plus not too much pain at all! I was floored when I found that out. So at this point they dont want to do a D & C, but they want me to take a 3rd heavier dose of the misoprostol to try to get out the last piece. I have had a fever so they told me to go to the ER if it gets higher than 37.5.

Im really hoping this last piece passes soon so that I can get my cycle back. We would really like to start TTC again soon. Has anyone had this happen before and how long did it take to completely clear? Im supposed to go back for an U/S in two weeks and a blood test.
Stay strong hun! I'm glad most of it's out but please, please be careful if your already running a fever. If you have any signs of an infection you really need to get to the doctor quickly!

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search