Missed Miscarriage - natural or D&C - how long to wait

Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Veteran
Was told at 9 weeks that my baby passed at 6 weeks 1 day, and the sac will continue to grow as long as my body thinks I am pregnant. My Dr is giving my 4 weeks to miscarry naturally before insisting on a d&c.

I am curious how many people waited to deliver naturally and how long it took? Would like to hear your stories, and also experiences of women who have had the d&c... what was it like, etc. Thanks.

Angel Baby #1 - 12/29/2003 (9 weeks, lost baby at 6-7 weeks)
Angel Baby #2 - 7/10/2012 (11 weeks 5 days, lost baby at 6 weeks 1 day)
June 25th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have a D&C. Mine was an early loss and started spotting before I had any indications anything was wrong. I know many ladies here have had experiences with missed miscarriages and they will chime in.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

June 26th, 2012, 06:33 AM
captivate's Avatar Sticky thoughts please...
My body was 11 weeks pregnant but my baby was 8.5 weeks.

I was large already and they told me if I passed naturally then it would hurt but my body was not showing signs of it anytime soon.

To stop the hurt that my daughter would see if I miscarried at home I went for a D&C that day.

Plus carrying my dead baby did not sit right in my head and it would have caused alot of emotional turmoil.

I have been told to treat a D&C like a elective C-Section. There is nothing wrong with it, its just our bodys and minds can't cope with a natural way.

I would never have a elective section but I did have a elective D&C.

I have 2 miracles on earth and 5 angels in heaven

June 26th, 2012, 07:23 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I am so sorry your having to go through this. With my later loss I had a D&C done. It was over very quickly and I felt I could start grieving right away. With my early losses I did them naturally. The process was pretty exhausting to me and I felt it took me longer to grieve/heal. Here is some other info that might help you too.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...diagnosis.html (What to Expect After a Miscarriage or Pregnancy Loss Diagnosis)

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...to-expect.html (Natural Miscarriage: What to Expect)

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

June 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM
KatieKat's Avatar TTC #1
I was in a similar situation to you. My baby stopped growing at 6 weeks 2 days (found at at 7 weeks that it wasn't a viable pregnancy), and I didn't start miscarrying until 10.5 weeks. I had told my doctor I wanted to do it naturally if possible, and he said that was alright (as long as it doesn't go on too long, or there is infection etc.). I had weekly ultrasounds to see what was happening. I actually had an appointment to get the drugs to bring on the miscarriage 2 days after I started miscarrying naturally. It wasn't an easy process, and I'm still bleeding (it's been a week now), but I'm glad I was able to do it. There was one day that the cramping was so bad I could barely talk (it was on/off - I guess they are small scale contractions). It's very much a personal choice I think (as long as you're not in any danger) and I think you have to do what feels right for you.

~thanks to Jaidynsmum for my perfect siggy!~

June 26th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I forgot to say I have been told of someone who did a D&C and a natural and that both are as painful.

2 days after my D&C my cramps were like the first stage of labour with my DD. It was horrible so in all honesty to lengthen that with a natural would seriously break my heart.

A D&C allowed me to grieve before I went under and as soon as I woke up I started the whole grieving process knowing my baby is gone.

My body is still ghosting so in all honesty I see no real difference between natural and D&C except the time frame.

June 28th, 2012, 03:31 PM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a missed miscarriage a few years ago and ended up waiting a few weeks and then decided to have cytotec. I really wanted to avoid a D&C.

Honestly, I wanted to avoid doing anything and just letting my body do it since I've heard so many stories of people almost getting D&Cs only to discover that the baby was indeed alive. That's why I wanted to wait and be sure before I took any action.
July 1st, 2012, 05:15 PM
How are you holing up sweetie?

July 2nd, 2012, 05:53 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did my d&c 6 days ago. I went in for a regular drs appt and an NT scan. I was exactly 12 weeks. The dr tried to check the heartbeat on the doppler and didn't find anything. They sent me over to u/s and the baby had stopped developing around 9 weeks 6 days. My Dr recommended the d&c since it had been 2 weeks and my body was showing no signs of doing anything naturally.

I went to the hospital the next morning at 7am. I checked in and did paperwork. They took me back and did blood work and another u/s to be sure. The took me back to surgery and put me in a gown. They gave me an anti-botic (pill) and gave me a small amount of twilight sedation. You don't go to sleep..it just makes you not have a care in the world. They put a local anesthetic into my cervix (it felt like a pinch) everything is pretty hazy after that. They used a vaccum so it was loud. The whole thing was over and done with in around 8-10 minutes.

They took me to recovery where I sat for about an 2 hours. They checked my bleeding a few times. My Dr, came and talked to me. He let me know everything went well, asked if i wanted to see a grief counselor, and asked me if I wanted to leave with birth control pills. The nurse came in and gave me a valium and my dr wrote me a script for some ambian and an antibotic. They gave me an after care sheet and told me to take it easy for the rest of the day and that I could resume normal activity the next day. I was home by noon. The most I felt was some bad period type cramping and my bleeding is lighter than my normal period.

July 2nd, 2012, 12:48 PM
Veteran
Thank you ladies so much for sharing your stories and for the encouragement. Today is day 10/11 since one of the worst days of my life, and my body is still happily carrying on as if it hasn't gotten the memo yet. I have noticed that my symptoms are lessening some, such as morning sickness and being so sleepy all the time, or maaybe that's just because my mind is very preoccupied. I Was hoping to have it done in June so July could be a new month, but looks like that wasn't in the cards. My first child that I miscarried in December of 2003 was due in July, so it's already a bittersweet month for me anyhow. I am trying to be strong for my two kids at home, but I cry multiple times a day. Last weekend was when we were going to announce our pregnancy right before 4th of July... but instead tried not to let them see me sad or upset so they won't wonder what is going on. My husband is working out of state, home on weekends, but doesn't know how to "handle me" really. I tried telling him that I don't want sympathy, I just want him to grieve with me and understanding... but he won't talk about it really, and just holds me a lot more and stares at me sadly, which isn't really helping. I am praying I am able to pass this baby naturally, because I can't stand the thought of having a procedure and them throwing the baby away like it was trash and not a living human being! (No matter how brief it was living, I saw that heartbeat, and it was alive in me!)

Angel Baby #1 - 12/29/2003 (9 weeks, lost baby at 6-7 weeks)
Angel Baby #2 - 7/10/2012 (11 weeks 5 days, lost baby at 6 weeks 1 day)
July 3rd, 2012, 08:24 AM
KatieKat's Avatar TTC #1
Just wanted to give you some hugs I'm so sorry you're still in limbo. It's the worst. I know nothing I can say can help you feel better, but take all the time you need to grieve. We're all here for you. Thinking of you and sending lots of healing thoughts your way.

~thanks to Jaidynsmum for my perfect siggy!~

July 3rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Either options sucks. I felt guilty for flushing my baby down the toilet, even though I know it was small enough there was no way I could have caught him/her to do a burial.

July 3rd, 2012, 05:07 PM
I hope your body kicks in soon.

Here the D&C gives any baby tissue to the hospital Chaplin and they get cremated and scattered on the baby cemetery.

If my baby got threw away I would not have done it.

July 6th, 2012, 09:36 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Hi, sweetie, I was thinking about you and wondering how you are doing today.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 9th, 2012, 02:11 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello,

First.. I'm so incredibly sorry to hear about your loss. I was at my 9th week of pregnancy but the baby stopped growing at 8 weeks. My doctor wanted me to have a D&E. ("dilation and evacuation" where suction is used instead of the "scraping" of a D&C) She said at that stage of growth its better to have the doctor make sure that everything is removed and I also didn't want to go through a labor like scenario just to pass my child.

I honestly didn't feel a thing. I just remember being told, "Ok we are going to put you to sleep now. We will see you soon" And the next thing I remember was someone calling my name and asked me to wiggle my toes and what was my birthday. (And a few other questions)

They wheeled me into the recovery room and I was already wide awake. I had some ice chips, then graham crackers and diet sierra mist. They wanted to make sure that I could go to the bathroom first before I left and that was it.

I had some cramping afterwards but it was gone after a few advil. I was bleeding lightly for a week and two days off and on but the cramps only lasted the first two days.

I really think that it was way less traumatic for my personality type to have this procedure done instead of waiting for the baby to pass naturally. But you just have to figure out what's right for you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search