Baby's heart not beating on ultrasound. Questions.

Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2012, 05:30 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yesterday I went in for an ultrasound to confirm pregnancy/dates and I should have been about 8 weeks pregnant (8 weeks and 1 or 2 days, to be exact). This is based on when I *ovulated* which I know was no earlier than June 17 and no later than June 18. I was monitoring cm and my cervix closed up by the evening of June 17, so I know I ovulated either that day or the next day.

Anyway, the baby was measuring 7 weeks 5 days (I think?? I actually can't remember exactly what she said). So that's not too far off from 8 weeks and babies grow at different rates, so that's possible, right?? But there was no heartbeat.

However, since the doc calculated Gestational Age from my LMP and not the day I know I ovulated, she said the gestational age should be 9 weeks 1 day, but the baby was measuring 7 weeks 5 days. Like I said, I *KNOW* that the baby measured closer to what he/she should be because she thought I was a whole week further along than I actually am, but I actually didn't press the dates issue because I thought what's the difference? Even at 7 weeks 5 days, you should definitely see a heartbeat, and that's what mattered.

But now my wheels are turning and I'm wondering whether her assessment of "all is lost" since there is no heartbeat yet has anything to do with her thinking I was 9 weeks 1 day instead of 8 weeks, or possibly slightly less.

Does anyone know the answer to that?? If she used my date and knew I was 8 weeks and not over 9 weeks, would it have mattered?

Is it unheard of for a baby's heart to start beating after 7 weeks 5 days??

[/url]

August 1st, 2012, 07:21 PM
Super Mommy
There are lots of stories online about babies that didn't show up till much later. You never know!

Mommy to Miles born 11/07/09.
Anxiously awaiting the arrival of baby boy Dylan due March 14th, 2014!

August 2nd, 2012, 04:57 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I'm sorry your having to deal with this. It should be beating now but there are stories of them not finding it until later. When are they going to check you again? I am so sorry your having to go through this.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

August 2nd, 2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks. I'm supposed to go back in about 2 weeks. She assumed it would happen on its own by then and it would just be a "follow up." She said they would only do an u/s if there was any question about everything being passed. So if nothing happens by then, I will have another u/s and then have some tough decisions to make (wait longer, if they'll let me, take drugs, or D & C). I feel like absolutely none of the options (even natural) is the "easy way out" and they are all going to be traumatic. The worst is not only was I told my baby's heart isn't beating, I have that horrible day to look forward to.

[/url]

August 3rd, 2012, 09:14 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I'm so sorry they are making you wait. Another option is to go to the hospital, tell them your pregnant and having spotting (it gets you seen every time). I know I couldn't wait like you are. Also here are some things for you to read.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...to-expect.html (Natural Miscarriage: What to Expect)

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...diagnosis.html (What to Expect After a Miscarriage or Pregnancy Loss Diagnosis)

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

August 7th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Regular
*huge hugs* Hold on there; believe me I know exactly how hard it is.

Now I definitely do not want to give anyone false hope (including myself) but during this process I found a good site called misdiagnosed miscarriage View forum - Our Misdiagnosed Miscarriage Stories • . I linked you specifically to the forum I was reading last night but looks like the site has good info in general. It gives some great examples of stories where people did find heartbeats, etc later on.

I hope for the best for you and a speedy resolution. Looking forward to hearing your updates.
August 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope that things work out for you... I too went through something similar to you. Regardless of the outcome the stress is terrible...the waiting. It's just not fair. I am truly sorry for the stress!Youare in my thoughts and prayers!
August 9th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks. I have looked at the misdiagnosed miscarriage site, too. It is frightening how many babies are probably taken because of D & C's done so quickly after seeing no heartbeat. I have read way too many scary stories now where women choose to wait it out before they do a D & C and then when the time comes and an u/s is done right beforehand, there is the baby & strong heartbeat!! I would just feel like puking if I came that close to killing my baby.

I am not saying I'll be one of the misdiagnosed stories, but I sure hope so. But it is darn hard to wait and I wouldn't blame anyone for choosing a D & C as long as they know FOR SURE the baby is gone. And in my position, I feel like I should give it a week or 2 to make sure (going back 4 days later is likely to resolve nothing).

If my baby really is gone, I feel like there's no easy way out. I hate the idea of someone prying into my cervix (think how much that would HUUURRRT without anesthesia. *shudder*). I'm afraid of having a complication, or hemorrhaging. But I'm also afraid of going through a natural miscarriage at home. I did that once and lost so much blood it was scary and I ended up going to the ER. And this time I'm afraid I'll see a visible sac and/or baby and that will be very difficult emotionally. I'm also afraid of bleeding too much again and not know how much blood is too much. AND I'm afraid to take the drugs and go home.

What seems ideal to me, if I have to go through this one way or another, is when I know I am miscarrying naturally, go to the hospital where I can be watched and taken care of. It seems insane to me that women are left to deal with this at home, especially with how common it seems (?) to hemmorhage during a natural miscarriage. And ESPECIALLY when you have a history of bleeding too much with a past m/c, why is it cool to expect them to deal with it at home? That is freakin scary to me! Why is it not normal to be in the hospital with nurses to be checking on how much and how long you're bleeding?! Geez, after you have a baby, they come in every half an hour to check your pad with their own eyes to see how much you're bleeding if it's OK.... but if you're having a miscarriage... Nah, just chill at home and bleed like a stuck pig into the toilet and have your husband watch the kids.

**Rant Over**

I am flipping scared.

[/url]

August 9th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Regular
(I edited this because I went more off your previous post and now realize thru re-reading your latest that I may have missed the point).

Huge hugs for you, TaraJo. I know exactly what you mean by being scared. Your doctor should have info and options for you so you will have a say in what feels best for you. If need be (and I hope it's not) a d&c can be a very easy procedure. I've had two, and no complications of any sort either time. I also did naturally miscarry this time around, and if you need any info on what to expect please feel free to PM or ask.

In the meantime, i hope you get answers soon and I am wishing the very best for you! Please update us and let us know!

(I'm leaving my old reply intact though I may have missed your point...I did not read carefully enough and thought your doctor was putting you off. It made me rant just a wee bit... )

...In all honesty, your current doctor sounds like my old one, with the whole wait and see approach and if I may be blunt, I think that blows. Having just gone through the same thing, I consider having someone hem and haw and schedule you for two weeks out while you ride the rollercoaster in so much stress and worry is not ok! I'd been in limbo for weeks and heard the same thing you did from my doctor's office. They didn't want to do any more ultrasounds, reluctantly agreed to a follow up blood test, and basically told me I was on my own to miscarry. Um, thanks for nothing! Plus there was that little seed of doubt. Felt like I was going out of my mind. I can definitely understand you wanting to wait a week for another ultrasound but I hope that your doctor stays on top of this for you and doesn't keep you in limbo.

If they do, I would seriously suggest, do what I did and call someplace else. I called a new clinic this Tuesday and they had me in the ultrasound lab that afternoon. The level of caring and action on their part absolutely blew away my old doctor's office. Sadly, my news was not good but I also had a lot of bleeding, etc that it does not sound like you've had. Plus at least I finally knew - it was upsetting, but so much worse to be in limbo for so long. I wish I'd switched weeks earlier.

Anyway, the point of my rant is you deserve to know what is happening and you deserve medical support from your doctor no matter which way this goes! If they won't give it to you, blow their unprofessional popsicle stand and find someone who will! (Can you tell I feel very strongly about this? ) If I hadn't, I would have gone though all of this with no professional guidance whatsoever and that would have been so much worse.

I hope with all my heart for the very best news for you.

Last edited by Kate76; August 9th, 2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: more info
August 10th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Kate, I agree I would be upset if they refused to do more ultrasounds or made me wait. But I did actually choose to wait it out (I didn't want to make a decision about a D & C or anything else right then and there when I found out). I don't feel blown off about the checking / ultrasound thing... in fact, if I called them up and asked for another one, they would probably try to get me in. If they didn't have a spot, they might not bend over backwards, but I think they would attempt to get me in. The thing I am upset about is I feel my options are either 1) be at home worrying about bleeding too much and/or in pain, whether I take the meds to induce or not, OR 2) do the D & C. I just seems obvious to me that even though I would rather miscarry naturally, that I should be physically watched and not be at HOME, on my own, ya know? I just don't feel safe, especially considering I bled so much last time and went to the ER. It just seems like a big enough deal after, say 6 or 7 weeks along, that you should be in the hospital when you know it's happening so you can be looked after. I don't know. Maybe I'm being a weenie... but it seems that things can and do go wrong when miscarrying, and just because my baby's not going to make it, nobody cares to look after me. That's kinda how I feel. Because, yeah, OK, if you are 5 weeks along and have a miscarriage, that's horrible emotionally, but physically I would think it's going to be a lot easier than when you're 10 weeks along... there's a lot more blood, more pain, you might see a visible sac / baby... and there's more potential for hemmorhage (I would think).

And I'm still having indigestion and all that and am going on 10 weeks, so I wonder if I will be 11 weeks by the time anything happens.

[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search