Missed miscarriage - took Misoprostol today - Update post 5

Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2012, 08:22 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello

I was diagnosed with a possible missed miscarriage at 8.5 weeks. I had no signs anything was wrong. HCG was still rising slowly, no cramping, no spotting all the pregnancy symptoms. At 9.5 weeks a second u/s confirmed only a tiny amount of growth and a blood test 4 days later showed my HCG finally starting to go down. I'm 10.5 weeks today still have morning sickness and am so ready for this all to be over!!

I was prescribed misoprostol/cytotec to initiate the miscarriage and was given some prescription pain meds. I was warned about heavy bleeding and harsh cramps. I took 3 doses of 400mg 4 hours apart. I cramped a bit and have been bleeding lightly, but nothing like what I've read about.

I took an IBProfen and that was enough to get rid of any pain. I'm not bleeding enough for it to even make it on a pad, but when I wipe there is blood with some tiny clots. Every time I wipe there is consistently blood its just no where near the ordeal I was expecting or preparing myself for. I took the day off work and definitely didnt need to do that.

I'm concerned that it wasnt enough and isnt working properly? This miscarriage has already drawn out so long I just desperately want this to be it. As long as I'm bleeding still I guess its working, but if it slows or stops I'll call my doc and see what he suggests. Am I just crazy wanting to bleed more and be in more pain...lol!

Last edited by pearlica; August 12th, 2012 at 01:55 AM.
August 9th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Regular
I can understand that...I've been bleeding for days and until today I knew it was not even close to what it needed to be. This is an emotionally exhausting process as well as physical; who can blame you at all for wanting it to be faster?

Taking the medication is one thing I haven't done, so I'm not sure how long that takes. All I can suggest is listening to your feelings and your body. If at any point you feel you've had enough or things don't seem right, let your doctor know. I hope everything goes quickly and smoothly for you.
August 9th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Veteran
i had a missed miscarriage, blighted ovum, back in 2010 and used cytotec to have the miscarriage. mine were vaginal suppositories. were yours? i had 3 or 4 of them, i don't remember. i inserted them before i went to bed and started having contractions around 3 am. i was walking around the house because they were actual contractions. i don't know exactly when i passed the gestational sac but there was no mistaking that it had happened. i'll never forget what that felt like coming out of my body.

i don't remember having any heavy bleeding either. it just went on to be like a period just lasted a bit longer. i went in a few days later for a follow up u/s to make sure everything had passed. i'd ask your doc for the vaginal suppositories. it didn't take long for mine to happen and it all passed that same night.

i'm so sorry for loss and this is such a hard and different loss than a regular miscarriage. don't be surprised if it doesn't hit you right away but about 6 months to a year later. i still had problems this jan, when the baby would have been born and again in june, when i had the miscarriage back in 2010.
August 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I am sorry for your loss.

I used misoprostol as a vaginal suppository and that initiated the miscarriage within 12 hours (by next morning I was actually bleeding instead of just spotting like you described) and I passed the pregnancy about 20 hours later. I was at 12 weeks but Baby only made it to about 6. I was also given a pain killer but only used it for about a day and a half. The prescribing doc told me that if it didn't work within 24 hours the dose needed to be repeated, but obviously, I didn't have that issue. I'd suggest calling your doc again for a refill and ask about using them vaginally.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

August 11th, 2012, 08:34 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your replies! I was going to call my Dr. on monday as I was still only bleeding lightly and then this afternoon everything changed.

It was at the most inopportune time too! We went to visit my husbands family friends that I dont know well who have a cabin on a lake 2 hours from here. I had just been bleeding lightly and didnt think it would be a big deal. I thought it would be fun for our daughter to get out swimming and we could relax on the dock. Well as soon as we got there I started cramping more but I still didnt think much of it. I took a couple advil and was having a good time swimming.

All of a sudden I knew I was bleeding heavy. I managed to just make it into the bathroom before I soaked through my bathing suit, skirt, and all over the bathroom floor. It looked like murder scene! I passed the sac and knew I didnt have enough pads for the amount I was bleeding.

I flagged my husband down and he could tell by the look on my face something was wrong. He packed up all our stuff and told everyone I was really nauseous and we had to leave. We had to stop halfway on the drive to change pads again.

Honestly I feel relieved and glad I know for sure its done. Also I have felt a lot of frustration towards my husband throughout this all (I dont know why, he hasnt done anything wrong). And as soon as it started all that was gone and I just felt calm and loving towards him again and not the resentment I have had. I feel more emotionally stable knowing the whole process is happening and I'm not stuck in limbo any more.
August 12th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm glad you feel more calm about it all. I remember thinking I wanted the pain and bleeding so I knew it was all over....but that came with its own set of emotions. Be gentle with yourself and rest! I stopped bleeding heavily yesterday but I still feel exhausted and dizzy from the blood loss. Hope your feeling okay today

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
August 13th, 2012, 05:46 AM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
I'm glad that you can finally start to grieve and heal. I know for me that once my m/c was finally over I felt like I could start to grieve the loss.

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search