How to speed up a m/c?

Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2013, 09:58 AM
StephanieMitchell's Avatar Super Mommy
I know its a very touchy subject, and Im very sorry if I offend anyone by asking this.
I found out yesterday that my baby passed. Im about 7 weeks.
The doctor is giving it until next Wed. for the m/c to happen naturally before doing a D&C. This was my first pregnancy, and first m/c. Im heartbroken and Im really scared and just want to get it over with. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to speed up the process? Im having light cramps and back ache, but no bleeding yet.
Please help! I dont want the D&C. I just want to do this in the comfort and privacy of my own home. Thank you, and again, Im sorry for asking such a touchy question.
Also, one more question...how long will the m/c last? A couple hours, a couple days, a couple weeks??
February 28th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Just keep breathing.
I'm so, so sorry for your loss. How heartbreaking. No offense here- this is exactly the place you can ask these kinds of questions.

Did your doctor offer the option of misoprostol? Brand name is Cytotec. It's a prescription medication that will induce miscarriage, and you can do it at home. This is what I did earlier this month. (I had a D&C last fall, too., of my first pregnancy). My OB suggests misprostol is okay if the fetal growth under 8 weeks.

The pills can be inserted vaginally (I've also heard you can just swallow them, but it gives some people bad diarrhea). Typically the process is over in 24 hours. In apparently rare cases, some women still pass tissue for a few days afterwards. This happened to me- not fun, but I managed. The pills cause some pretty deep cramping, so I also was prescribed Vicodin. It was painful, but not excruciating. I took a Friday off work and used the medication in the morning, and then had the whole weekend to rest and recover. I was just fine (physically) to go to yoga class on Sunday morning, and work again on Monday.

Here are a few websites that helped me prepare for taking misoprostol. My experience was not nearly as "extreme" as they are describing. There are quite a few places on the web where women describe the process:

Hope and a Future: My Experience with a Cytotec (Misoprostol) Miscarriage

We Can Do Hard Things: My Experience With Cytotec: Miscarriage at Home Part 1

Again, I'm truly, so sorry for what you are going through. It's so hard. I hope you can take all the time you need to grieve and focus on healing.
February 28th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks, I will call the doc. office and ask about it. I just want to be done with it!
February 28th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Well, there may be no need. I started cramping a lot worse, and now Ive started bleeding some. *sigh* Im so terrified!
February 28th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Just keep breathing.
I'm so sorry. Hang in there. You can do this. It will be the hardest thing you've ever done, but you can survive it. Keep trying to drink fluids. Use a heating pad or hot water bottle, if you have one, to help ease the cramping. Your body is doing what it needs to do.
March 1st, 2013, 08:34 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So sorry for your loss! My last m/c I was 7 weeks and the worst of it was over pretty fast, i'd say I had 1-2 days of heavy period bleeding. Then just slow bleeding for about 5 days after. Was all done bleeding by day 9 I think.

Thinking of you!! Worst thing to go through ever! HUGS!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search