D&C?

Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 10:44 AM
StephanieMitchell's Avatar Super Mommy
Well, it seems Im going to have to do the D&C on Wed. Im really nervous about it because Ive never had any kind of surgery, or anything that required any sedation. Has anyone else had one who can tell me basically what to expect? Is it painful? Did you bleed afterwards? How much? How long before I can return to normal activities?
This is going to sound weird, and dont judge me, but my fiance and I had bought tickets to Islands of Adventure in Orlando, and were supposed to go this Friday. They are non refundable... Is two days post d&c going to be long enough? Obviously I wont be getting on any roller coasters, but Im just concerned about the amount of walking involved with theme parks...
March 4th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Just keep breathing.
Hey there. I had a D&C last November. I too had never had any kind of surgery or anesthesia. It's an outpatient procedure, so you won't have to stay in the hospital. It ended up lasting about a full "business day" for me, from arrival to departure.

I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight. I went to the hospital about 9am, with the surgery scheduled for 11am. My mom came with me for the day- that was helpful. More helpful than my dh, who is very anxious in any kind of medical setting. Shortly after I arrived a nurse called me back into the prep area- I changed into the gown and head covering, and had an IV hooked up. My mom was able to come back and wait with me. I wish I had brought more magazines, or maybe an iPod. At different times nurses, my doctor and the anesthesiologist came to check in with me, but mostly it was a lot of waiting. The procedure was delayed about two hours, but finally the whole team came to get me from my waiting area. I fell asleep almost instantly from the anesthesia, and then it felt like I woke up immediately with the doctor telling me it was over. I was VERY emotional coming out of the anesthesia. Also kind of disoriented.

I spent about an hour in the first-level recovery area, just sitting there. There was a nurse with me most of the time, bringing water and blankets. It didn't feel like a long time. Then I went back to the prep-waiting area, where my mom came back to be with me, for another hour or so. My mom took me home, about 6pm.

I was so pumped full of drugs, I don't remember much pain in the hospital. I did have some kind of heavy-duty painkiller (tylenol 3?) which was necessary later that evening and for the next few days. I was also on antibiotics. I had fairly heavy bleeding- about 1 pad every 2 hours, for a week. Then regular period-like bleeding for 2 more weeks.

I had the procedure on a Thursday, and had to go to a work meeting late Friday afternoon. I made it- but was in a fair amount of pain and felt really worn out. I laid around on the couch the rest of the weekend, and was okay to go back to work on Monday. My doctor initially said no major physical activity for 2 weeks, but after the procedure, my cervix apparently closed right back up so she said it would be okay to exercise/etc again after 3 days. Pelvic rest (no sex, nothing inserted) for 2 weeks.

I really don't think that I would have been able to go to a theme park 2 days after the surgery. I was very worn out and emotional, in pain and bleeding. I could get around my house, and even do some minor errands, but couldn't have handled a full day wandering outside. Can your fiance maybe call and let them know there are special circumstances- an unexpected surgery- and see if you can exchange the tickets for future use?
March 5th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had 2 D&Cs. Both times the recovery was super fast. I was crampy the day of, and had period-like bleeding for a few days. But after 1-2 days I could resume all normal activities. The emotional part was a lot harder than the physical part for me.

August 2012 December 2012
March 6th, 2013, 06:36 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had an emergency D&C with my first m/c at 12 weeks, due to massive amounts of blood loss. The procedure was quick and easy, and before long I was home resting. I had only a very small amount of bleeding after that, and barely any pain. I couldn't believe how fast you recover, I was just stiff and sore for about 1-2 days. I wouldn't have been able to go to an amusement park or anything though, the emotional pain was worse then the physical though. I've never felt so heart broken in my life and for about a week I basically laid in a haze, numb. The pain in my heart was definitely the worst part!
March 6th, 2013, 01:53 PM
The D&C is done. Im on my way home from the hospital now. They did the procedure "ultrasound guided" so they are confident they removed all the tissue and I should have minimal bleeding. Im only cramping a little, and bleeding like a light to medium period. My doctor didnt send me home with any meds though.. Nothing for pain, anxiety or antibiotics...
It wasnt as bad as I was expecting, and literally over before I knew it. Now to get home, eat a little something a maybe take a nap. Thank you all for the support!
March 7th, 2013, 05:08 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad its over and your recovering!! HUGS!
March 8th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Just keep breathing.
How are you doing today?
March 12th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Its been almost a week since the procedure and everything seems normal. Im still bleeding like a light period, and having very minimal cramping but I think its finally sinking in that I dont have a baby in me anymore. At first, right after the procedure, I was suprised about how well I was dealing with it all emotionally...but I think it just wasnt real yet.
Its real now, and the pain is real too. Ive never been so heartbroken in my life.
I dont really know how to deal with all of this and Im finding it really hard to accept. Not just the fact that the baby died, but also that I have a bicornuate uterus and there is a good chance this will happen to me again. More than anything in life, I DONT want to go through this ever again!
I feel like Im not even the same person anymore. How do you get over something like this? It hurts so bad...
March 14th, 2013, 09:59 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so sorry for your loss and all the pain you are feeling now. I had a very similar experience after my D&C. Right after I was surprised by how well i took it all and then it all sunk in and I felt devastated and completely lost. I think the most important thing is to talk about it. On here, or with your SO, or with close friends, or with a counselor, or all of the above. Know it is okay to cry about it - and it will take some time and as hard as it is to believe it will get better. I too am at risk for it all to happen again (due to my molar pregnancy) so I know your fears and how painful it can be to think about doing it all over again. All you can do is take it one day at a time and eventually you will begin to feel like yourself again even if it really doesn't seem like it right now. I am so sorry for all you are going through You will never forget but the pain really will lessen over time. Anytime you want to talk I am here, PM me anytime.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search