My story (blighted ovum, D&C, and first cycle after)

Forum: Pregnancy Loss

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Loss LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2015, 12:42 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm posting my story here, because it was comforting to me to read others' stories as I've gone through this experience.

My husband and I were NTNP for a few months back in the Spring/early Summer. In July, I got a BFP. We were thrilled to be expecting our third! I scheduled my first appointment for 10 weeks, and I went through those 10 weeks with no complications or reason to worry. I had every pregnancy symptom in the book, including nausea, vomiting, cravings, aversions, etc.

I went to my first appointment alone, because DH had been out of town traveling and had an unexpected complication that prevented him from making it back home on time. I remember thinking, "hopefully everything's ok, because I would be so much harder to hear bad news alone." But again, I had no real reason to worry.

The APN who came in to do the ultrasound makes me uncomfortable--I'd been seen by her a few times in my second pregnancy. So I wasn't thrilled she was the one doing the scan. And right away I knew there was a problem. There was a large gestational sac present, but no baby. By 10 weeks, there should have been a baby, with arms and legs and stuff. She didn't say anything, but I knew. She went to get the transvaginal probe, and (thank goodness) my actual OB, who I love. The OB did a transvaginal US, and again, we saw a sac and no baby, and also a large ovarian cyst. She went over the options (wait and see if I miscarry naturally, take Cytotec, or have a D&C), and I left, devastated.

Over the weekend I thought about it a lot, talked to DH, and to some ladies I know who've gone through similar. I decided to schedule a D&C. I'm sure it's a very personal choice, and I can see how some might choose a different route. But the for me, a D&C seemed less traumatic than having to go through it at home. So I scheduled the D&C for the following week.

The D&C itself went very smoothly. I had some nausea/vomiting initially from the anesthesia, but almost no pain. The only pain I had was from a couple of episodes of contraction pain in the first 24 hours. I had light flow bleeding the first day, and then spotting for 3 days after that. My follow-up appointment was the following week, and she didn't do an exam or anything--mostly just wanted to make sure there were no signs of infection, and to address any concerns I might have. She suggested waiting one cycle before TTC again.

Since my bleeding had stopped, and everything seemed to be fine, DH and I did have sex once that cycle. I had some spotting after that for a few days, but once that stopped, I didn't have any more. I started charting temps at some point--I think around CD12. I also took some mid-cycle HPTs, just to see if there was still HCG in my system, and there was. I took several, out of curiosity, to see if they were getting lighter, and at one point it actually looked like they were getting darker. But it was all just leftover hormones from the blighted ovum. Since I was charting temps, I was able to see that I ovulated around 3 weeks after the D&C, and I started my period today, just under 5 weeks since the D&C. I took another HPT last night, and it was actually still positive--faintly, but still there. I'll be curious to see if it's negative after this period.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that I did ovulate, and I hope this means I'm on my way back to normal. Emotionally, I'm sad. I don't know what else to say other than that. It sucks, but it happened. We are going to go back to NTNP, so we'll see what happens. My DH spends a lot of time on the road, and is only home about 30% of the time, so if we do get pregnant in the future, it'll be dependent on really lucky timing.

So that's my story. If you're reading this because you've had a loss, I'm sorry. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

October 19th, 2015, 10:42 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiSpice View Post
I started my period today, just under 5 weeks since the D&C. I took another HPT last night, and it was actually still positive--faintly, but still there. I'll be curious to see if it's negative after this period.
Just to update: I took another HPT at CD6, as AF was on her way out the door, and still got a positive. Then I tested again at CD12 (just over 6 weeks post D & C) and finally got a negative. So I guess it took somewhere between 5-6 weeks for all of the HCG to be gone from my system, after having a D & C at 11 weeks.

September 7th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Libby22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think im having a blighted ovum

My Ovulation Chart

missed m/c 28 march 2010- Toni 11 weeks CP 11 march 2015- Katie 4 weeks 10 May 2015 Lilly- 4 weeks CP blighted ovum 2017

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search