Getting your own handwriting on your digital scrapbooking pages.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Digi School LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2011, 08:50 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Something a lot of people miss when they switch over to digital scrapbooking is the personal touch of having their handwriting on their pages.

BUT...
There are ways of getting your actual handwriting on your pages, and I'm going to tell you about a few.

1. Have someone use your handwriting to create you a font. Pretty easy, huh? lol As in with all things related to digital scrapbooking, you can go for free, or you can go for paid. My recommendation, pay for it. Things that cost you money tend to be of better quality than you get for free. But hey, even the free ones are pretty good, you'll just have a long wait without the guarantee that the font creator will actually choose to create it. By having a font created out of your handwriting you can just type your journaling in, and voila! it's in your own handwriting.
You can find that the following font designers create personalized fonts:
Get YOUR Font! – It’s Free! | Fonts for Peas <--free
Sweet Shoppe Designs*::*Custom Fonts*::**Custom Print Handwriting Font Service by Darcy Baldwin
Sweet Shoppe Designs*::*Custom Fonts*::**Custom Cursive Handwriting Font Service by Darcy Baldwin
ScrapMatters*::*Fonts*::*Custom Font Service--Fonts Made to Order Just for You!*::*Custom Print Font: Non-Exclusive

2. Leave your journaling spot blank on your page to print. I'd advise going ahead and typing up your jounaling, saving your web-sized page with that journaling, but then hiding/deleting the journaling on your print-sized page. That way after you have it printed you can go in and actually write your journaling by hand on the spot you left blank. That's the reason that I said to leave your web-sized page with the journaling. Many digital scrapbookers do not immediately print their pages when they finish them, and if you are one of them this way you can look back on your web-sized page to remember what all you wanted to say.

This would actually be the most time consuming and frustrating of the lot. If you have a whole lot of patience with a mouse, you can do it that way. The way that I recommend doing that would be to use a tablet instead. It gives you a little more flexibility than a mouse, plus as you use a pen with a tablet it has a much more natural feel when writing than a mouse. You can either use it to write directly on your page that way (see example below), or you can do as I also did and create a brush from your handwriting. When I created a brush from mine I wrote out my alphabet out, scanned the picture into the computer then traced over it on a new blank layer. Once I had traced all the letters I then isolated each letter and created a brush from it. It's a very tedious process, and I don't recommend using brushes for large amounts of journaling on your pages however, that would take entirely too long.

4. Settle for as close to similar as possible. Many places in the digitial scrapbooking world offer fonts that are made from other peoples handwriting, and more than likely, you'll find one out there that comes very close to your own. If you don't want to go through the hassle of having one made, writing it out yourself, or making your own, then I say go for this one. I've found many that I find work suitably well when I want something that looks like my own messy writing.

example for writing the word directly on in a digital way:
mom of: Zach (9), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
August 27th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
What a cool concept! I never thought of doing this. I have another idea, but I'm not sure whether it would work. Could you write out your journaling on blank paper by hand, either take a photo of it or scan it into your computer, then use it as an element with the blending mode set to 'overlay' or something so that only the text showed up and not the background? That, or quick-select the white background and delete it.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
September 13th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Vicki...'s Avatar Mommy to Caleb & Ethan
I had my own handwriting made into a font by Darcy Baldwin and love love love it

September 13th, 2011, 09:16 AM
CupcakeJamie's Avatar Got Cupcake?
Darcy's making mine now

Tags
digi scrap tutorial

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search