Photoshop Elements - Easy Scrapbook Page

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Digi School LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2007, 03:03 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
You are going to learn how to make this page. (This page was designed for the web and not for print)
I will have lessons for PSP and PS soon!

January 28th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Create a new file. This file was set to be 500 pixels by 500 pixels. You can use the drop down menu to select inches if you are making this for print. The resolution was set at 72 which is ideal for web graphics. If you plan to print your page you will want your resolution set to 200 or higher. Explanation of resolution/dpi.

Open up pinkbackground2.jpg. Then drag the background into your new file and position it to cover the entire page.

Open pinkbackground.jpg. Using the rectangular marquee tool select a rectangle shaped selection to copy and paste onto your page.

Go to Edit>> Copy. Once you copy you can close or minimize the background. Then paste it into your page. (If you haven't hit save yet make sure to save your new document. There is nothing worse than having to start over!)
January 28th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Position your selection on your page using the move tool.

Notice your layer palette. The layer pallete shows you where each layer is placed. See the background is on the very bottom on top of that is the pink striped layer (Layer 1) and on top of that Layer 2. Play around with the layer palette and you can drag the layers in front or behind each other. See if you need more help with layers.Open your ribbon (pinkribbon.png) and drag it into your page.

Use the move tool to move the ribbon at the top of your page. Go back to the ribbon file and drag it over again so that you have two ribbons on the page. Position the second ribbon on the bottom.

Sometimes when you are working with a lot of layers it is helpful to name them so that you can remember which is which.

Go to your layer palette. Select your layer and right click on it. Select rename layer.

Type the name of your layer in. I named the layers ribbon-top and ribbon-bottom.
January 28th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Open your photo and crop it. You can crop things freehand or you can type in the exact amount to crop. If you are going to be using several photos you probably want to crop them to all be the same size. Here is how to crop.

Click on the crop tool on your toolbar. Then adjust the size by either sliding the rectange or by changing the width and height at the top. I cropped Lyndsey's photo to be 250 pixels by 250 pixels.

Once you have your photo cropped, double click on it. (Now don't freak out if it looks tiny, just click on view and then actual pixels.) Drag your cropped photo into your page.

Layer styles

To add strokes and drop shadows to your layers, you do this with layer styles. I am not sure why but PS Elements doesn't let you add a stroke the easy way. (I looked around to make sure there wasn't an easier way to do this)

Click on the icon at the top (the third one over). I am sorry but I don't know the correct term for this. This will allow you to apply layer styles and effects. Use the drop down menu and select layer styles on the left and drop shadow on the right. (If you don't want to use the drop shadow you can get rid of it later)

Go to Layer>>Layer Style>> Style Settings to edit your layer styles.

Click the check box for stroke to add a stroke (border) around your photo. You can uncheck the drop shadow to get rid of the drop shadow now. Change the color of your stroke by clicking on the color (the default is red) and using the eye dropper to select a new color. If you want to use a color on your page just drag the dropper over to your page and it will pick the color off of it.
January 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Use the text tool to add your text.

The text tool is on your toolbar. You can select your color at the top. Click on the color and use the color picker to select your color.

(Follow the instructions for adding a stroke from above to add a stroke to your text) It is done the same way.

After you add "Lyndsey" go back to the move tool at the top. You have to be on the move tool in order to move things. Move "Lyndsey" around on your page until you have it where you want it. If your text is behind a layer you can drag it to the top using your layer palette.

Then use the type tool again to add your next text "in the snow". Position it on your page.
January 28th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Open your gift tag file (pinkgifttag.png) and drag it into your page. You will need to scale it down so it isn't so big.

Go to Image>>Transform>>Free Transform

Hold the shift key down and then ajust the size of your tag by dragging the corner inward. (The shift key keeps things proportional as you scale it down)

Then rotate the tag

Go to Image>>Rotate>>Free Rotate Layer. Drag it at the corner to rotate it.

That's it!

Now to save it for print. Go to Save As, and save it as a jpg, png, or whatever file your printer prefers. I will post instructions later for optimizing your images if you are saving them for the web.
January 28th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Marissa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Marissa Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa
Thankyou for the lession Patty.

I'm going to try this later on.
February 1st, 2007, 11:04 PM
Lynsann's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's My Version:

February 3rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Super Mommy
Here's my Page

Thanks to Quantum_Leap for my siggie

February 3rd, 2007, 09:57 AM
Wow! Perfect job! I am going to try to make lessons on how I made the papers, the tag and the ribbons too. I just wanted to make the lessons for PSP and PS first. You did great with this!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
February 10th, 2007, 08:19 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
Heres my shot

February 12th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
Justine!! See? You can do Elements! That's perfect!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

February 16th, 2007, 04:00 AM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
ya but i can only do it if i have it step by step like patty did.

March 5th, 2007, 12:17 PM
**Mary**'s Avatar mom to Tabby,Kk,Emi & Jay
Send a message via AIM to **Mary** Send a message via Yahoo to **Mary**
My attempt:

and another one that I did with mulitply pics.....

Mary
mom to: Tabitha 9,Katelyn 7,Emily 5,Jay 2 and Natalie Marie (5.31)

March 6th, 2007, 09:29 PM
gee102
Here's my attempt!

March 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM
kaceyracey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok here's my first attempt at making any kind of digital page

June 5th, 2007, 08:20 PM
SAHM and scrappymommy
So here is my first digital scrapbook page. Thanks for the great instructions. I love this!

October 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
here's my go at it. i used different backgrounds though.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
October 7th, 2007, 04:40 PM
~Caroline~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is so cool. I had never done any kind of digital scrapbooking (or regular scrapbooking) but I just tried this and it's not half bad!

Thanks for the great tutorial!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search