Working with layers in PSE

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Digi School LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2007, 04:31 PM
kistal1027's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Layers are a very important part of working in PSE for any project, not just scrapbooking. Making sure that each element you add to your page is on it's own layer makes it very easy to edit and tweek your page.

I've created a layered template for a simple scrapbook page in PSE. It can be downloaded here - Layered Template

This lesson will give those of you who are just learing to work with PSE, an idea of how to move between layers, create layer styles, group and merge layers

Unzip and open the file...you should have this on your screen...

Now what we're going to is replace each layer with your own paper/embellishment.

Step 1

I've found the easiest way to do this is to first hide each layer and start from the bottom up...to hide a layer click on the eye next to the layer.

Hide all the layers except for the "Background" layer

Step 2

Next, open the paper you would like to use as a background for your page.

The Template size is set at 12x12 inches w/ 300 pixels per inch. If your paper isn't that size, resize it before you cut and paste it as a new layer on the template.

To resize: go to Image--->Resize--->Image Size

This will open a dialog box. Make sure that the size is 12x12 inches and 300 ppi
Like this...

With your background image opened and sized correctly, copy it - Select--->All then Edit--->Copy

Go back to the template and paste the background image into it. It will paste as a new layer. Move the layer above the background layer if it's not already. To move the layer, just click on the layer in the layer pallete and drag it down to just above the background layer...

Step 3

Now we're going to Group and Merge the two layers.
First hit Ctrl+G to Group the two layers...This is what your layer pallette should look like...

Next hit Ctrl+E to Merge the layer down with the Background layer. This will cause the two layers to become one layer replacing the original black of the background with your paper.

Step 4
Next, unhide the Pattern layer then open the paper you'd like to use to replace the gray. Be sure to resize the paper as above.

Copy and paste that paper into the template document and move the new layer just above the Pattern 1 layer.

It should look like this...

No need to size it to the rectangle because we're going to Group and Merge these layers.

Follow Step 3 to Group and Merge these layers as you did with the background layers.

This is what you should have now...Grouping the layers will cause the top layer to take the shape of the lower layer

Now we will repeat the above steps for the Photomat Layer

And again with the photo layer.

Unlike the paper layers, the photo will need to be resized and positioned on top of the white square before you group and merge the layers.

Ctrl+T will allow you to move and resize the layer you have selected.

Step 5
With the element layers, you can repeat the above steps or delete the layers I have and replace them with elements of your own.

Delete my text layer and add your own title or journaling layer.

Add and adjust whatever you'd like to make the page your own.

Here's mine...

Take a moment to play around with the different layer styles and effects to achieve the desired look you'd like for you page. I like to use drop shadows becuase it give the page nice depth.

Once you've finished your page, be sure to do a 'Save As' so that you can save the template for future use.

Here's my finished page...

I'd like to see what you come up with...please post your pages on this thread!!

Also...this is the most detailed lesson I've done so far, PLEASE let me know if any steps need to be better clarified!

Forever missing our Angels: 7/05 & 5/08
February 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
Lynsann's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I may just be really dumb, but I can't figure out how to download the template? TIA.
February 2nd, 2007, 05:00 AM
jennmazda's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jennmazda
^^^ when you get to the page go down until you see downloads and you should see download file...it might take a min for the webpage to fully load up

February 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks!
February 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
Okay! Here's My Page! It turned out pretty good I think. I could go back and make a few little changes, but I'm okay with it right now! Thanks for the lesson. Doing these lessons teaches me a lot!

February 3rd, 2007, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Okay! Here's My Page! It turned out pretty good I think. I could go back and make a few little changes, but I'm okay with it right now! Thanks for the lesson. Doing these lessons teaches me a lot!

[/b]
I love it!! What an adorable picture. I'm glad the lesson helped!

January 16th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Jennifer-in-Italy
bumping this, omg thanks! i have been wondering how templates work, lol!
January 16th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Quote:
bumping this, omg thanks! i have been wondering how templates work, lol![/b]
I know that the link expried...so I think I may redo this lesson since we have so many newbies!

January 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM
ERICKA77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That would be great. I'm trying to do one lesson at a time.

January 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM
Quote:
That would be great. I'm trying to do one lesson at a time.[/b]
Ok...I'll see what I can get done when DS goes down for his nap today.

January 21st, 2008, 11:13 PM
Jennifer-in-Italy
Quote:
Quote:
bumping this, omg thanks! i have been wondering how templates work, lol![/b]
I know that the link expried...so I think I may redo this lesson since we have so many newbies!
[/b]
Itwas a huge help to me even without the link....I was able to use it in relation to my own templates!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search