Ear Infection vs. Teething???!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy After Loss Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2009, 08:45 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ahhhh......I just feel sooo clueless!!

Cecil has been pulling at his ear once in a while for a while now, but yesterday and this morning, his is constantly pulling on it.... Also, He was running just the slightest of fevers (not even sure if it qualifies as a fever - between 99.0-99.9 Degrees) since this weekend. He is also a bit cranky, not eating well in the AM, but OK in the PM. He is also drooling ALOT and soaking his cloths.

I'm not sure the above signs point to ear infection for teething....any thoughts???
October 6th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I asked Alex's doctor about the ear pulling because Alex was doing that and she said that it was that he discovered his ears
Have you felt his gum's? With Alex, he was drooling a lot for a while, then it stooped and then he went back to drool a lot, and then we had teeth.

October 6th, 2009, 09:25 AM
There aren't any bumps on his teeth right now - I felt for them last night.

Does Anyone know if they even prescribe anything for infants for ear infections?? Is it worth taking him to the DR?
October 6th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I would call the doctor and see what they said.
No offense Sam, but I'm so glad I'm not the only clueless mom here.

October 6th, 2009, 09:40 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
Sam, I would take him to the dr. Tyler had an ear infection early on too and he did get antibiotics. Please KUP. I hope he's better soon. There's nothing like a sick baby
Tyler drools ALOT and he's been VERY cranky lately. But still NO teeth!!

October 6th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I really wish I was this super mom with all the answers!!! LOL!!

I think I will go ahead and take him in....Better safe than sorry. I just need some set of guidlines as to what clues to look for that require antibiotics vs something that his body is going through (like Teething) that you just have to wait it our for. I hate seeing him uncomfortable, and I don't want to do dammage to his ears by overlooking an infection.
October 6th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Let us know what the doctor says.
I know what you mean, I wish I had at least some answers to something, everyday there is something new that you learn.

October 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
That's what motherhood is about. You take it one day at a time and learn something new everyday. With Haley, I swear I was always in the dr office. I still do the same with Tyler. You just never know when it's something or nothing. I'd rather be safe than sorry though. Please let us know what the ped says Sam. I'd say it gets easier as they get older, but it doesn't. The only difference is then they can tell you what hurts them.

October 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sam,
I was doing some research on teething and came across something that indicated that it is a MYTH that teething causes fever. They encouraged mothers to not ignore fevers or write them off as teething. (Of course, you can't always believe EVERYTHING you read on the internet ) If he keeps a fever, I'd call the doc for sure. Let us know.

October 6th, 2009, 02:17 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has he had a cold recently? They usually come before the ear infection. Juliana is just finishing up her ammoxicillin for an ear infection (which followed her first cold). She didn't ever get a fever, but she started just having screaming fits and was inconsolable. It must have been hurting quite bad. Cori hasn't ever had one (knock on wood).

Also, about the fever, my doc says 100 or more to be considered a fever when they are this age. Hope he feels better soon!

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008

Last edited by kellyanne; October 6th, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
October 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'm just checking for any news on Cecil.

October 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I took Cecil to the DR last night, and they checked his ears and throat and couldn't find anything wrong. I didn't get him into his reg ped though, I went to our family DR.

Today I got a call from the Daycare saying that he is refusing all bottles. He won't eat anything. They have tried all day but the most they got him to take was 1 oz. He is running a slight fever again too.....so I think that something must be going on. I still think it could be teething, but I'm not sure. If he is still ill tomorrow, I will take him to the Ped Office. I am going to thourouly check his body and his mouth when I pick him up to see if he has any rashes on his body or sores in his mouth. I hate that I can't help him right now.......
October 7th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Is he nursing ok?

October 8th, 2009, 04:08 AM
He Nursed and acted just fine last night - Played Happily.....We'll just have to see if he has problems at the Daycare again today. Maybe he just wasn't hungry yesterday.
October 8th, 2009, 12:11 PM
How's Cecil today? Is he eating?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search