Solid Food Question...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy After Loss Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2009, 08:24 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cecil Started Solid Food about 3 1/2 weeks ago. For 2 weeks I gave cereal, then I gave him Green Beans, then peas - Only for Dinner though, and he has been doing great with eating food.

At daycare though, he was beginning to get cranky more often and per his daycare provider, acted like he wanted to eat more during the day than the BM I was giving them. SO...after doing some reading, I said that they could offer him 1 solid per day at lunch in addition to the BM and we could see how it goes.

I make all of his Baby Food, and so I gave them a freezer bag with Several Icecubes of green beans. I also wrote-out instructions for re-heating the beans(Microwave for 25sec - stir and if needed, micro for 5 more sec, then stir again), and provided them with a heat indicator spoon that shows if the beans are too hot to feed him or not.

Well, the first day of feeding him the beans, the head of the daycare called me at work and said that they wern't sure that they could use a microwave to re-heat Cecil's food, and that none of the other babies ate homemade food, and they didn't know how to prepare it. They said that the microwave could cause hotspots and hurt Cecil. She then said, that she didn't mind that I used the microwave at home to re-heat his meals, but that she wasn't sure that it was safe for them to do it???????????!!!!!!@@@!@@!@! I asked her how she proposed that they defrost and heat cecil's food then and she said that she didn't know, but she was going to call the State's Safe food representative and ask her how to handle the situation??? She supposed for now she could re-heat using the microwave until she got an answer back as I have only provided frozen food for him.......

For those who make thier baby food and freeze it...how do you re-heat it??? Am I missing something, and mad for no reason?????

Last edited by IAMommy; November 19th, 2009 at 08:26 AM.
November 19th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sam, we also make all the food for Alex, but not until he was 7 months old that he actually got veggies. When I get home from work I prepare Alex bottles and food. I take out of the freezer what he is going to eat the next day and it will defrost by the time it gets to the sitters house. I actually don't always give Alex the food warm since I read that sometimes cold food helps them when they are teething. Is he still eating cereal at daycare? What you can so is to prepare his meal the day before, put it in the fridge, when he gets to daycare, have them take it out and let it seat at room temperature. While it seats for maybe a couple of hours he can have cereal and BM.
I honestly don't see a problem with microwaving his food, I normally put it for 30sec, and stir and if there are still pieces of frozen food I put it back to 10sec. I taste all of his food to make sure there are no really hot parts, but I'm guessing my sitters doesn't do it.
I don't know if this helped you at all, I hope it did.

November 19th, 2009, 09:00 AM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
I'm sorry Sam! I don't see anything wrong with microwaving as long as they test it for hot spots like you do. I'd be mad to. I hope Patty's suggestion helps hon. KUP

November 19th, 2009, 10:27 AM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
nothing is wrong with using a microwave AND common sense !!!!
if it is mixed thoroughly is will even out the "hot spots"....and have they heard of letting things cool??
I made Katie's baby food at times and still used the microwave....now she gets gerber grads meals and use it for them also....
I would be really mad.....

November 20th, 2009, 05:53 AM
katiegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It may be a state regulation thing. I know in Indiana you can bring in BM but any other products you bring to daycare or school must to be in a sealed unopened container.
Even diapers, I have to bring a full package unopened.

November 20th, 2009, 09:56 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It just seems that state regulations are set-up to support Pre-Packaged baby food and not mothers and kids that try to implement a healthy alternative (home-made baby food)

It just makes me mad that I am really trying to do something healthy for my son, and start him off on the right foot, but I get bureaucracy thrown in my face. Uhhgg.....I REALLY wish I had the means to stay at home with my son, and if this is the start of a never ending battle with public school, then I also REALLY wish I had the ways and means to send my son to either a private school or home school him!!

BTW - They still haven't decided if they can use the mircowave or not...They contacted the state rep, and I guess she didn't know the answer so they are "studing the situation"???? Am I the first mom to send home-made babyfood to daycare???? It just shouldn't be so difficult!

OK, I realize that I am venting a bit here......Thanks for letting me get this off my chest so that I can deal with the daycare in a civilized manner.

Last edited by IAMommy; November 20th, 2009 at 10:49 AM.
November 20th, 2009, 11:03 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
Sam,

I do understand that you want to make the baby food yourself...
have you looked into some organic baby foods JUST to send to daycare?
Earth's Best,Nature's Goodness, and even some gerber & beechnut do not have preservatives in them. I bought them all of the time for Katie (still buy the fruits to mix in her oatmeal in the mornings)

I know you should not have to, but it might be easier than the hassle you are getting.
ggggggrrrrrrrrrrr @ some people !

November 21st, 2009, 03:10 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made and reheated my baby food for Cori exactly as you have. I would often let it set for a little bit after reheating, so that I wouldn't have to worry about it being too hot. How frustrating that you have put in the extra work to make his first foods, only to be treated like you are doing something wrong. I agree that it is odd that they haven't run into this before. We made our own food, not only because its healthier, but also because of cost.....it is sooo much cheaper. I think Dee is right, though. If he only eats one serving a day there, you could probably find something just for daycare.

Just trying to find a silver lining, but at least your daycare IS so concerned about safety regulations and whatnot, even if this particular instance is kind of silly.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
November 23rd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made Benjamin's food (he never had jar food at all) and reheated it in the microwave. My friends also heated up their jarred baby food in my microwave when they visited so I am just curious what they do with the jarred food? Once it is opened it has to go in the fridge right? So how do they reheat it?

I also heated Benjamin's bottles in the microwave and got comments for that all the time too so don't worry about it. Like Dee said - common sense ppl - stir, mix, and let it cool. It's not rocket science.

Just wondering if they could heat it in a container in boiling water? Kind of like a bottle? Or by running hot water on it? I know it's stupid but at least they would feel better right?

Also wanted to throw in that I had containers I put the ice cubes of food in and then put them in the fridge so that the food was defrosted just to make warming up easier. I just refilled them as I used them so there was always food unfrozen.

I really hope you don't have to go jarred food if this is really what you want for your baby. If it makes you feel better I couldn't find a daycare centre that would take Benjamin's cloth diapers here. He is in home daycare now and still in cloth but I felt the same way - like they don't support anything good you want to do for your child. It's the same as sposies for them, just change him and put the dirty one in a bag. Why is that so hard? I wasn't asking them to clean them. UGH!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search