Enlarged Thymus??? up-dated

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy After Loss Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2010, 09:08 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone know anything about having an enlarged Thymus?

We took cecil to the emergency room last night for a high fever and he was just sick......they did a chest x-ray to see if he had phenomena, and it revealed that he had what looked like a very large heart. (it took-up almost his entire upper chest) Our Dr. consulted with the radiologist who said that Cecil was not in heart failure, and he didn't think that it was his heart that was enlarged, but his Thymus Gland. Cecil was discharged from the hospital with ear infection and instructions to go to our Ped office first thing Monday AM to discuss the enlarged Thymus with our pediatrician and have another X-ray taken for comparison.

The only info about a Thymus that I got from the ER doc was that it is there before birth to help babies in utero with their immune system and that it is supposed to get smaller and eventually disappear. She said that she has seen quite a few child X-rays and that his just doesn't look right, but since it was not heart failure or his heart that was enlarged they discharged us.

I am hoping that it is nothing, but I am having a hard time finding out info on the Thymus glad, and I am very impatient in waiting for tomorrow. If you know anything, please let me know, I am all ears.

I will keep you all posted on our appt tomorrow.

Last edited by IAMommy; February 8th, 2010 at 02:33 PM.
February 7th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow that is scary. I don't know anything about it but I do remember Benjamin having an enlarged gland on his neck. His physio spotted it when he was doing his neck exercises and told us to go to our doctor. Our doctor sent us to our ped (at this point I was so scared) but the ped said that all children have enlarged glands until they are toddler age. He said in adults our glands enlarge when we are sick but in children its enlarged all the time or they are sick???? So Im not really sure what that means or even if it's helpful but I really hope everything turns out to be nothing for you too. I remember how scared I was. I hope you are doing okay and please update tomorrow. I'll be on to see how it went.
February 8th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Thanx Sabina - that is reassuring to hear. I am just waiting until 8 to make his appt....hopefully we will get in this am. cecil now has blisters on his butt and leg and I am having a hard time keeping his fever down (101.8 - 103.2) under the arm. crossing fingers that he does not have chicken pox.
February 8th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sam, how is Cecil doing today? Did you take him to his ped? Were you able to keep the fever down? I don't know anything about it, sorry.....

February 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope he gets in to the ped today. I'll be anxiously awaiting your update. I don't know anything about enlarged glands, but did a quick google out of curiosity and the article I found said it grows until puberty and then begins to decrease in size. Poor little Cecil, I sure hope his fever goes down!!

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
February 8th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sam,

How scary! I don't know anything about Thymus (or any other glands for that matter) but I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and little Cecil.

February 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I have to type fast as cecil is feeling very well....

Today was pretty up and down for us....

Our Ped said that the X-ray taken on Saturday showed that Cecil's organs were backwards and that either the X-ray was taken incorrectly or that he has a defect

good news is that the x-ray was not correct - his organs are placed correctly

bad news - he has phemonia sp??

worse news - he does have an enlarged heart and we are being sent to a ped caetiologist tomorrow am. we wont know anythung until after that appt

ill let u know how it goes
February 8th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I'm sorry about the pneumonia, I hope he gets better soon.
I don't know much about an enlarge heart but I hope it's nothing to worry about and that it won't be something that will cause him any trouble growing up. Let us know what the cardiologist says tomorrow. I'll be thinking about you guys. HUGS

February 8th, 2010, 05:13 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
poor Cecil! I'm glad you caught the pneumonia, hopefully early - that's awful and no wonder he feels so bad, poor baby...I don't know much about enlarged hearts other than lots of people have them (a friend of mine in high school did too) and it doesn't usually present a problem or keep them from athletic activities. I hope the news is all good when you see the cardiologist and that Cecil has a really quick recovery from the pneumonia. HUGS

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
February 9th, 2010, 04:42 AM
*Pamela*
Keeping Cecil in prayer hun. I hope you get answers quickly and that it's nothing to worry about.
February 9th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Danielley08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well...dang Dr. Danielle just did a bunch of research and then I read the rest of the post and saw you updated...what I had found was the Thymus gland secretes T-cells (white blood cells) so if its enlarged then he has an infection...which completely explains the pneumonia...I'm sure once they get that under control the Thymus will settle down...its basically a babies way of fighting infection until they get older and their immune systems are stronger...(thats why they shrink in adults...eventually we dont really need them unless we are really sick ie. cancer, etc)...

Most of the research I've been able to find shows that alot of times pneumonia can cause the enlarged heart...due to the difficulty in breathing the heart has to work harder to keep the blood pumping to keep the oxygen saturation levels up...

Hopefully this is the case and soon Cecil will be feeling tons better soon...

Praying for you!!

(Boys' birthdays are backwards...lol)
~Thank you to claire1979 for my siggy~
February 9th, 2010, 07:58 AM
I'll be thinking about you guys today, Sam. I'm glad to see that you are getting appointments quickly, so you don't have to sit around worrying. I hope they can get your little man feeling better fast. I can imagine you must be terrified. Great big hugs!!

February 9th, 2010, 03:33 PM
thanks you guys for your support, it really means alot to me. Danielle - Thank you for playing Dr. Danille and looking into this stuff for us.

We did not talk to the pediatric cadiologist today...we had a slight mix-up in communication. We did however get an echocardiogram and blood work today. The results are being sent to a pediatric cardiologist today, and with anyluck we could hear back about what is going on by tomorrow. I wouldn't be so nervous about the enlarged heart, but my ped seems nervous about it when we talk and he is really rushing having it looked into, so either I have a Very thorough ped who is overly caucious, or there is something going on that he isn't talking to me about yet.

My sister is the one who took Cecil's blood today and she said that it does look like Cecil has a bacterial infection (his white blood cell count was very high) and that the mono test looked to her like he has mono - but she did say that she is not a Dr, so she could be wrong. I am hoping that out Dr. calls us back tonight yet about the blood work.
February 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sending T&P for Ceil!! (and you too!) It so scary to be up in the air when something is wrong. I'm so glad that you are getting appointments quickly to get this solved! (((HUGS)))
February 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
Sam,

I will be keeping Cecil in my thoughts.....I did some reading also...
and found much of what Danielle found. I truly hope everything goes well and you get some answers soon.
Many Hugs and prayers going out to all of you !

February 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I'm sorry I've missed this thread - I'm sorry you're going through such an agonizing wait - I hope that you get some answers soon ((Hugs))

February 10th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Sam-did the doctor call you back? How is Cecil doing? Thinking about you guys. HUGS

February 10th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Thinking about you and your little guy and hoping you got some good feedback from the pediatric cardiologist.

February 11th, 2010, 11:07 AM
katiegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my goodness Sam!
I can't believe I missed this thread. I hope that since your last update you have heard back from the Dr concerning the blood work.
I will pray for you and Cecil.

February 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sam I am so very sorry I haven't been on lately and haven't seen any of this until now. I hope you are both doing well and you are not going too crazy. I honestly don't know how I would deal with all this. It seems like every appt you have it's something different. I really hope you find out what it is quickly, the wait must be killing you. How is Cecil doing? How is he feeling?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search