Cecil Up-date

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy After Loss Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2010, 06:23 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry for not up-dating you all sooner.....we were admitted to the hospital on Wednesday for Severe Anemia, Possible Sepsis, Pnemonia, ear infection and a very bad viral infection. It has been a LONG week for all of us. Cecil is doing MUCH better now and has been released from the hospital.

I won't go into all the WRONG diagnosis stuff, becasue it just makes me mad, but here is a little bit of what was going on. Poor Cecil is very Severely anemic. They think that he has never recovered from being Jaundice when he was born (his bili levels were very high) and that combined with the fact that he was born almost 5 weeks early - his body was not equipped to recover. In a normal baby, your iron levels are supposed to be between 50-75...Cecil's is under 10. His lab work reveled that his body is producing abnormal red blood cells (they are very small) and he does not have good blood flow. The bacterical and viral infections that he just had was compounding the fact that he was low on blood and this body was not getting adequate oxegen......Have I lost anyone here LOL....this is sort of long. His heart has been working extra hard....his resting (sleeping) heart rate when we arrived was 130 and his ative heart rate was 170.

When we were admitted, they wanted to give Cecil a blood transfusion. Travis and I were concered about that and we asked to consult a pediatric hematologist. The pediatric hematologist said that we were within reason to give a transfusion, but that would not help cecil in the long run, it would only work as filler for his blood right now. What we needed todo long term was to give cecil iron supplements everyday, and it can take 90-120 days for him to recover fully. So with the advise from the hematologist, we choose not to transfuse. Cecil is on Iron supplements everyday. With the exra fluid from the IV, his heart rate has settled down - but we were given signs to watch for incase he needs to be re-admitted into the hospital.

We are at home now, and cecil is doing well recovering from the infections, and I am hoping to see improvement from the iron deficiancy overtime. I just always thought he had a natrually pale complextion, but the Dr said that was brought on by the anemia, and his color should start to be what it really is soon and that Cecil should start having alot more energy too.

This week was REALLY hard on Cecil and I hope that we never go throught this again!
February 13th, 2010, 11:08 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
What a scary week you had Sam! BIG HUGS to you and Cecil....sheesh I'm disappointed your pedi never noticed that he could have an iron deficiency, especially if it was noticible in his complexion. Poor baby, I'm so glad you caught this before it became an even more severe problem and that he's going to be ok!

Are you using just a standard over the counter baby iron supplement or do they have him on something stronger?

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
February 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Laura, we are very disapointed in our ped, and are looking into finding a new one...that is hard though because we live in such a small town - we already drive 40 min to see this ped. I think that this should have been caught MUCH sooner. for instance, if you pull back the skin right under his eyes - it is white - no red color to it at all - a healthy person has red there.....also he is very pale- his lips don't have a lot of color to them either.

we were precribed iron, but the pharmist said that otc is just the same, we just have to use a different dropper because that dropper was onlt 1 ml, and cecil needs two mil a day.
February 13th, 2010, 12:59 PM
just incase anyone is good at reading lab tests.....

HGB - hemaglobin was 6.4
HCT - hemocrit was 25.2
MVC was 55.1
February 13th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Sam, I'm so sorry, what a horrible week. First, I'm happy that Cecil is back at home and he is doing well. Second, yeah find another pedi, and raise hell about what just happened to Cecil, his ped should of seem that, no excuse. When we went for Alex's 9 month appointment we found out that he was borderline anemic, so we had to start giving him more food with iron and now he gets a bit more meats, so also try that.
Are you still BF?
He is a very strong little men and I now he will recover soon. I'm just sorry you guys had to go through this. HUGS

February 14th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, Sam!

Big hugs to you and Cecil (and Travis too, can't forget him). What a trying experience you have all gone through. I'm sure it must have been so scary having him admitted. I'm glad you seem to have some answers though. And HUGE kudos to you for asking questions, doing some research and making sthe decision about the blood transfusion. I know I've heard that statistics show when family is as involved in the decision making process (rather than just doing what the first doctor you see says to do) there are significantly better outcomes.

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted on his progress.

February 15th, 2010, 04:27 AM
We have decided to go and seek a second opinion from another peds dr today. Cecil is just not eating very well at all and he seems even more tired this weekend. I am still pretty worried about him.

a 9 month old is considered normal (not Anemic) when he had a HGB level of 11 to 15. He is Considered Severely Anemic when the levels drop less than 8. Cecil is at 6.4. Severe Anemia can result in permanent mental and physical damage.

My MIL is a nurse and she contacted the hematologist at her hospital and they said that you just don't see HGB levels like that in an infant, that is the lowest # she has heard of. My sister who is a lab tech said the same thing.

I am just not reassured that all is well yet
February 15th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im so sorry that you seem to still not have your answer. It's so frustrating when you are trusting some to help your little one and you don't feel confident that they have. I really hope that he starts feeling better soon and you get some answers. This must all be so upsetting, especially with Cecil not getting any better. I am praying that he starts to improve soon and you find your answers. I know it can be hard on a family and I hope you and Travis are doing okay and hanging in there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search