Had a scary day this week

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy After Loss Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to share my scary, scary day this week. On Tuesday I went over to my friend's house. She has a toddler that is Ben's age and a 7 month old. My other friend came over too and she has a toddler as well. We were all hanging out and she went to feed her 7 month old Ali and she started screaming this awful scream, enough that both my friend and I dropped what we were doing and came over. Then Ali started closing her eyes and her head was dropping and then her eyes started rolling back. We called 911 right away. Her mom was holding her and screaming her name to get her to stay awake. We were afraid she was losing consiousness for some reason. Just watching her was really scary. The fire men made it to her house first, I was a mess when they got there, I couldn't even tell them what happened because I was crying. When they got there she was fine, she started smiling and was ok but not really herself. The paramedics arrived shortly after and even though they thought she looked fine they took her to the hospital. She was at the hospital the rest of the day but they released her and told her Mom that she was probably just over tired and falling asleep. I totally think this is crap. There was three experienced Moms there that were all freaking out and called 911. Don't you think one of us would have thought that? People around us think we are nuts but all three of us have talked about it since and we all agree that something was very wrong with her. I pray it never happens again, it was SO scary. I am usually very good in emergency situations but we hang out all the time and I feel like her kids are my kids and I just couldn't keep my emotions in check. It was awful, not knowing what to do and how to help her. I hope I never go through that again. If you are still reading then god bless, just needed to vent this and share my experience.
March 13th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, scary! I think that when medical professionals can't figure out a MEDICAL cause, they just come up with some kind of an excuse. I also don't think ERs are good at diagnosing that kind of stuff. (I don't know if she went to the ER or not). ERs are good at handing crisis situations and "keeping people alive", but as for figuring out what happened in the past (especially if she was showing little symptoms), they are really not that good at it. The ER has to know a little about everything (to handle emergent situations).

I hope you don't think I'm saying ER's aren't good -- they have their purposes (my mom was an ER nurse for 35+ years) -- but they treat SYMPTOMS and then have you follow up with another doc later.

I'm so sorry you (and her family) had to go through that. I sure hope it doesn't happen again.

March 13th, 2010, 02:20 PM
mom 2 haley & tyler's Avatar formerly mommy2haley17
How scary Sabina! I'm so sorry you all had to go through that and I hope it never happens again. I wonder if she had some type of seizure.

March 14th, 2010, 06:59 AM
*Pamela*
Aww hun, I'm so sorry. If that was my child, I would be calling the doctor Monday morning to get her looked at. It almost sounds like a seizure of some sort.

If a child is cranky and tired they just cry, they don't scream. And if she was tired, she certainly wouldn't be up and smiling, she would be even more tired.
March 14th, 2010, 09:36 AM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How maddening that the docs didn't know what was wrong so they tried to make you feel dumb too. Of course she wasn't just tired....kids that are tired don't scream all of the sudden. I do have one idea, though. Was the baby holding her breath? Do you think the scream may have come from some type of injury?? When Cori was younger she had breath holding spells if she got hurt or got really angry. They are SCARY! I never called 911, but only because I had to run to get the phone the first time and by the time I found it she had come to. But they are not harmful to the child. She would scream (from injury or anger) for a couple of screams then hold her breath until she passed out....she even had seizure/convulsions once. Then their brain kinda resets and they are perfectly fine. It depends on how long Ali was out of conciousness....if it was longer than a minute or so then it probably wasn't a breath holding spell. I hope she is okay and I agree that a follow-up with the doc is in order.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
March 14th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My initial thoughts were seizures too. But kiddies usually are wiped out after and my friend said Ali was alert and bubbly at the ER. Which also leaves me to believe she couldnt have just been tired. My friend doesnt want her having all kinds of tests so she is not persuing anything. I just hope it never happens again.
March 15th, 2010, 07:59 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
How scary! I think I would have reacted just as you did too.

March 15th, 2010, 09:32 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
wow that's so scary! I definitely agree she should be checked out by her pedi...ER docs are great, but you can't be an expert in everything so not sure I'd trust them on diagnosing an infant suffering from something unusual. And that was scary enough that I'd want more tests done to make sure it wasn't something more serious...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
March 15th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
how scary, I also think that it wasn't that the baby was overtired, I think that they don't know what's wrong, so they make mom feel stupid.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search