We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I know a lot of you have gone through several illnesses with your LO. I don't know how you do it. This is the first time she has been sick. (Well, she's had a little cold / runny nose a few times, but never vomiting sick).
I went to her room this morning to get her up and there was vomit all over. It really freaked me out at first because we fed her beets for the first time last night. I'm sure you can imagine what that looked like. I am amazed that the sheets and jammies came completely clean -- no staining.
Half way through her bottle this morning, she started vomiting again. Poor girl.
So, I'm staying home with her today (I was out 2 days last week being sick myself and then we were out for over a week before that on vacation -- I'm so lucky I have an understanding boss).
Makenna still seems happy and hardly phased, but she is a little less active than usual. I'm surprised she slept through the night even with vomiting. It makes me feel bad that I didn't know until this morning. I checked on her before I went to sleep and she was fine.
I guess I need to go get her some pedialyte. I checked her temp and she doesn't have a fever, but I'm gonna keep checking it. DH and I both had fevers with this little bug, so I'm assuming it's coming -- do you think I should give her tylenol pre-emptively?
Also, how much pedialyte do you recommend? I want to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated.
Ahh, poor little girl! How scary with the beets, I can just imagine what that must have looked like! It is a great sign that she is fairly happy, though. I don't usually give Tylenol unless my little one is up over 103, or if I can tell they are in lots of pain. I figure their bodies are doing what they need to do. Also, I wait to give it because I've been told by docs that tylenol is a great way to test the seriousness of an illness. If they get a pretty high fever, and Tylenol works, its not usually as serious of a bug. If Tylenol doesn't work, then I know she needs to be seen immediately. So, I always wait so I can use it in that way.
I'm sorry she's sick.....Poor baby. Last time that Alex had a bug and was vomiting and Diarrhea the doctor told me to keep BF, I know you are not BF but I would maybe call the doctor and ask about giving her pedialyte and how much.
I hope she gets better soon. Tons of HUGS
ohhhh... Poor Makenna!! I am sooo sorry she is sick!! I hope this is just a short lived flu bug and will go away soon!! I agree with what Kelly and Patty have both said. I would wait on the tylenol. I have been told that a fever itself is not a bad thing to have - it means that your body is trying to fight off the bug, but if it gets to 102 or higher (under the arm), you can give tylenol. If it gets over 103 (under the arm), you should call your Dr. especially if tylenol doesn't help.
Also, if you are breastfeeding, offering her the breast as much as you can is best. Pedialyte may "fill her up" and she might not take the breast as much.
If you are worried about her being dehydrated, look for signs of crying with no tears, dry lips, and being lathargic. If you see her cry without tears, and she is lathargic, I would take her to the doctor or emergancy room.
I hope she is feeling better....
I agree with what the ladies have said about the Tylenol...
as for the pedialyte...I always keep it on hand....even for colds for extra fluids....
at that age I think I gave katie about an ounce or so, but call your ped just to make sure....it has been awhile for me..lol
Thanks for your concern. Makenna is doing MUCH better today. her episode yesterday morning was the only time she has vomited. She dis get a low grade fever (about 101.3) but she is really trooping along. I gave her one bottle of pedialite (the first scheduled feeding after she threw up) and since then she has been keeping down her normal formula. She has been more tired and has slept a bit more, but I think that's just how she is fighting it.
So far today there has been no fever and she is nearly back to normal. I sure am glad it wasn't too bad for her and I sure hope it really is gone.