Really need some Mommy advice please

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy After Loss Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just had Jacob's 6 month appt and the doctor said he has not gained enough weight. He was 14lbs 2oz at his 4 month appt and he was 15lbs 12oz today. He said he was also concerned because he is under the 50th percentile. I am totally freaking out now. He hasn't been nursing that well for a while and when I started him on solids he has started refusing some feeds. I just chalked it up to too much solids and cut back a little but that didn't help. He has gotten a formula bottle at night since he was about 4 months old to help him sleep longer because he was still waking every 3 hours and I just couldn't do it anymore. It worked and he sleeps until 5 am. I was thinking of giving him another bottle during the day. I don't want to because I want to keep nursing and I am sure this will be the start of him going on a nursing strike but I don't want to be selfish, I want to do what is best for him. What do you guys think? I don't know what to do and I am so worried about this. I know it's only weight but i want to make sure he is getting enough.
July 26th, 2010, 10:15 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This may sound harsh, but I personally think your doc is nuts. If it is bad to be under the 50th percentile....then what is the point of having percentiles?? My girls are small, but I've never had a doc express concern about it because developmentally they have been right on track. Just out of curiousity, I went back and looked up Cori's stats. She was 14lb 4oz at 4 months and 15lb 11 oz at 6 months. She was only 16lb 8oz at 9 months. She always has been under the 50th percentile, but she is perfectly healthy and on-track. Does Jacob fuss lots or show any signs of being hungry or unhappy? If not, keep up the good work with your nursing (and disregard your doc)!

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
July 27th, 2010, 07:29 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How is his growth curve...that is what is important. When Cecil was very sick, he growth curve was off. It was following a nice curve, then all of a sudden, the curve dropped off. My Dr. was never worried about his weight until the curve was broken.

Many babies - like kelly's are always below 50% and that is totally OK as long as they are following thier own curve.

Ask your dr to see his growth chart - that information is available to you.

If his growth curve is off...talk to your dr about your options...if his growth curve is OK....I think you are OK to continue as you are.
July 27th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much, Alex has always been below the 50th percentile, if I remember correctly he at one point was on the 10th percentile for weight. I was also concerned about him, but the doctor told me that he probably just growing up that way, no nothing to be worry about.

July 27th, 2010, 07:57 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
ditto Sam & Kelly...our pedi keeps telling us not to worry about the specific % (we have opposite problem, she's BIG) but whether her curve is ok and is tailing off when they expect it to...

If you feel his eating habits have significantly changed, that is maybe something to investigate further just in case there's something else causing it?

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
July 27th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I just checked with four of my Mommy friends and they all checked their weights for their babies and they were exactly the same as Jake's so I have no idea why he is worried. He is an absolutly horrible doctor and I have been looking for a new one for some time now. I can't stand him and now that I see everyone elses weights I am curious as to why he is even concerned. The problem is that Benjamin was such a giant that I have nothing to go on. Benjamin has always been very big, fitting in cloths 2x his size since he started growing. He was also 6lb 7oz as a preemie LOL. I think I am just going to stop worrying about it, his developmental milestones are way ahead and he is happy and that's all that matters. I am sure if he was starving he would let me know, he's not an easy baby. I think I'm going to just let this go and stop losing sleep over it. Thanks ladies.

And thanks for being so honest Kelly - it doesn't offend me at all
July 27th, 2010, 10:47 AM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm really glad you are feeling better about this, Sabina. And I'm glad you weren't offended by my soapbox. I just think we have enough to worry about as Moms without docs telling us our kids need to be just alike or fit into some type of pattern. It is so strange to me that our culture seems to have this "bigger is better" stereotype for babies (really, how often do you hear other moms proudly say "my child is in the 95%" vs "my child is in the 5%!"?). Then, the rest of our lives we spend trying to be skinnier .

Sam - I totally hear you on the curves, though, and I recognize that in Cecil's case....with him being sick and losing weight, you were right to act.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
August 2nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
All three of mine were well under the 50%. Norah is about at the 10th and the dr isn't worried, the boys were under the 25% for ever. Nick was 25 pounds at two which is 14%, Jon was not much bigger. People would ask me if I fed them(getting it with Norah now)

At 6 years: Nick

your child is 47 pounds, and that is
at the 57th percentile for weight.

your child is 47 inches, and that is
at the 77th percentile for height.

Jon is
At 4 years and 9 months:

your child is 42 pounds, and that is
at the 68th percentile for weight.

your child is 43 inches, and that is
at the 64th percentile for height.

They do catch up.

http://stitchingthroughlife.blogspot.com/ my cross stitch blog, my outlet.
http://chriscrossdesigns.blogspot.com/ my Cross Stitch Designs

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search