Night Terrors

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy After Loss Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2010, 07:59 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
does your LO have these? Katie does and it is terrible!!!
she often wakes and wanders out of here room....but is still "asleep"
the crying and screaming is unbearable at times, there is no consoling a child going through one.

Tips to help your toddler with night terrors
How to Stop Night Terrors: Meditation, Aromatherapy and Emotional Release
Night Terrors in Toddlers - Handling Night Terrors and Putting Your Fears to Rest - Sleep Issues Articles - Toddlers Today - page 4

September 11th, 2010, 04:01 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think Cecil has nightmeres sometimes, but not night terrors, he is awake when he cries. My Niece did have night terrors thought, and she grew out of them by age 5, I hope Katies grows out of them soon too....how terrible to watch your child go through that. My niece is a very sensitive person, so I sometimes wander if that had anything to do with it.
September 11th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Patrick had one once. It was the weirdest thing. He was screaming like I've never heard him any other time, and I just couldn't comfort him. I was holding him and rocking him, and I did think he was awake. I tried to give him his toy, and he suddenly woke up and was fine. Crazy.

September 11th, 2010, 08:08 AM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, Cori has only had that happen once or twice. But MIL still tells about DH having them and how horrible it was. Hugs for you and for Katie!

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
September 13th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Benjamin has them too. He screams and if you try to touch him or talk to him it only makes it worse. I sit by him and basically watch him scream and flail all over the room, touching him only to stop him from hurting himself. I know they don't know your there but I just need to be there, with him. It's SO hard to watch.

I just wanted to tell you that one article I read said to give them a bottle if they are young enough to still have them. Benjamin isn't but I tried a sippy cup with water and it will work about 75% of the time. Try doing that with Katie. Just pop it in her mouth and see if she starts drinking. Apparently the sucking action can calm them down and trigger them back to sleep. Benjamin's are so bad we have gone into his room from him waking us and he is crying, standing in his bed, banging on the wall like crazy. It's extremely scary. He went through periods where he would have them, and then nobody sleeps, and periods where he would just sleep like a tank. I read somewhere that they can go months without having them and then they come back for a bit and the cycle just keeps going.

He has been good for a while (Im really knocking on wood here). Actually this morning we woke up and he was sleeping on our floor with a bag of milk. He must have sleep walked to the fridge before making his way to our room LOL.

I really feel your pain, I personally had a really hard time with Benjamin's. I just can't sit there while he's in that state. It's totally different then a nightmare, it's unlike anything I have ever seen. Even my Mommy friends IRL just didn't get how bad it is. Unless you have seen it you don't get it. I really hope it stops soon for her. PM me anytime you need to talk or vent. I've been there and hope it's all over but I doubt it.
September 14th, 2010, 07:14 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
Thanks so much Sabina for sharing your experiences!
It is so hard to watch...there really is not much you can do. I will try the sippy cup next time...that is interesting.
Since we put her in the twin med, she is doing much better * I probably just jinxed myself!*

she IS waking up ....but only to come and get me to change her...and then she goes right back to sleep, in HER bed. So I am not complaining one bit.

she is a little over tired tonight, so I am really hoping it doesn't happen....no nap today, so I may be doomed!

I hope Benjamin's NT's go away too for good !

and thank you again !

September 26th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
my DS used to have them when he was little. They started when he was about 18 months and lasted until he was 3. It was horrible! Sometimes he would go on for 20 minutes. I couldn't touch him but I couldn't even walk out of the room, just basically watch him screaming and crying and throwing himself around. He wasn't awake, but not completely asleep either. My pediatrician told us that something was waking him up in the night and triggering the night terrors and we worked out that he had sleep apnea. We removed his tonsils and adenoids and that completely solved the problem for us.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search