pre preschool not working out! help! xposted

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy After Loss Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2010, 06:46 PM
dee68's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dee68
Katie is in a a program once a week from 9 - 11:45. She started out great...
then a new boy joined and he cried right off the bat, and that just set Katie off one day...she talks about the little boy all of the time....telling me " Patrick, he cry and cry".....so now every Wednesday she just screams and cries when we leave the room and it breaks my heart.

The teacher told me she does stop and does have fun, but starts again off and on....I want her to enjoy this time, but I do not want her to stress over going.
I am torn between trying it a few more weeks or taking her out.

maybe she is just too young, even though she is so mature in other ways.
They do have an open door policy and I am thinking if I sit in for a bit, maybe she will feel more secure. the reason I signed her up is so she can have other children to play with....maybe she would if she knew I was close by.

help ladies ! lol

October 2nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't been there yet. That's a tough situation. What happens when the teacher tries to comfort your daughter when she gets upset? Does your daughter respond to her attempts? If not, I would suggest going with your daughter and reassuring her that it is ok when the little guy starts to cry. I would also see if the teacher has tried to speak to the boys' parents. Maybe he is not ready to be left alone.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
October 4th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I really do not know how much comforting is done kwim?
I have heard the screaming and crying that goes on when I leave the room, and hear the teacher telling her, things like, it's ok...mommy will come back. That is Katie's biggest worry from what we are told. She did not even want to play outside, she was worried I would not find her.

it is tough...I do not want my little girl stressing...I do not NEED her to go....I just wanted her to be able to play with kids here own age.

*sigh*

October 4th, 2010, 07:48 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dee - I'm of the opinion that you'll have plenty of time for Katie to get socialization, so its best not to push her. Could you do something else, like a playgroup maybe, where she could play with other kids while you were there?
If you do want to give it more of a chance, I think staying there with her is probably best for now. Good luck with whatever you decide.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
October 5th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Kelly,

I did find a playgroup, and did rsvp to an event at the end of the month....
and she LOVES our new church, so that is a big help also. She gets to go to Sunday School, even though she is so young, and they include her in parts of the service. what a blessing that we started going!

October 6th, 2010, 06:13 AM
katiegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If the playgroup doesn't work out, what about volunteering at the preschool? This way you will be there for her but you won't be just sitting there bored for 3 hours a day, and you would see exactly what goes on in the school and how the teachers react to the kids crying for their parents.

October 9th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiegirl View Post
If the playgroup doesn't work out, what about volunteering at the preschool? This way you will be there for her but you won't be just sitting there bored for 3 hours a day, and you would see exactly what goes on in the school and how the teachers react to the kids crying for their parents.

I am REALLY considering volunteering for her class
heck, I am going to email the director now ! lol

October 13th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh jeez we just went through this with Benjamin. He just started preschool three times a week from 9-11. The first week he cried and cried. I came very close to pulling him out. I was not happy with it at all. They don't let you stay for a minute. You drop them off and leave. Poor Benjamin had to go into a place he had never been before with a bunch of kids he had never seen before and he was naturally upset. I was going to pull him out and put him in a new centre that allowed the parents to stay for a bit when he suddenly started loving it. He just walks right in now, no crying or anything. I am still uphappy with the way they did things in the beginning and I told them that. I won't be making the same mistake with Jacob but I am glad that he loves it now and I feel like if I would have pulled him out maybe he would have kept on crying at a new centre, thinking that I would eventually not take him anymore kwim? I think volunteering for a bit is a great idea. Then she will have time to get to know the place better with you there and eventually maybe you will be able to drop her off.
October 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM
well, I stayed at school with Katie today.....she focused on FUN ...not stressing over me leaving. It was just what my girl needed. It was so mice to see her play with the other children. The teachers said I was doing the right thing by staying...and the director of the program offered to "scholarship" Katie another day per week.
I had explained that with Mick out of work, I could only afford 1 day a week, but would have loved 2 days so Katie could get used to it quicker.

So I think I will take them up on the offer, continue to stay and gradually "wean" myself out and see how she does....unless they need extra help, then I will stay the whole time.

October 13th, 2010, 09:39 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is great news, Dee! I think your plan is great too. Yay Katie!

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
October 14th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad that she had a great day and that the school is so supportive of you staying and helping her to get used to it. Let us know how it goes next week.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search