Chit Chat

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy After Loss Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyanne View Post
Don't you just love this age? Their sense of humor really starts to come through. Juliana is a total ham...she'll do something, crack up at herself, and then say "funny". Lately, when we ride in the car she will yell "Cori" (well, CO-whee) repeatedly until Cori finally answers her. Then she'll spew some string of jibberish and laugh hysterically. This goes on and on.

That's so funny. I tell Makenna, "your're so silly" and she replies with "silly girl" (SI-whee gewl).

Quote:
Last night poor Juliana's BA (pacifier) broke (I cut it on purpose). I hoped maybe this would be easier than just refusing to give it to her. It was still pretty heartbreaking to hear her say, "Oh no!" when she saw it. It was a rough night. Then, this morning she had it in her mouth anyway. Guess that didn't work.

Awww. Maybe it will just take her a little time to decide she doesn't want it now that it's broken. What do you think she would do if the whole nipple came off somehow?

Makenna still sucks her middle two fingers when she is tired or going to sleep. I haven't decided how long I'm going to try and let that keep going.

March 18th, 2011, 09:20 AM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used to suck my middle two fingers! I stopped by the time I was 2 or so. We didn't get so lucky with Cori, though, it is still a major problem. So is the hair twirling that she does while she sucks her thumb. She has broken most of her hair on one side....it looks ridiculous. The other day I cut a bit more of Ana's binky, she didn't notice. I think I'll just keep taking little bits off every few days and see what happens.

Hope you all had a great St. Patty's Day! It is a special day for me because it reminds me of my late grandmother (she and I were VERY close) more than any other day. She was Irish and made sure we all wore our green. DH had to work last night, so we are having our corned beef and cabbage tonight.

Today is just house cleaning, watching basketball (YAY for March Madness) and maybe a chance to ride my horse.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
March 18th, 2011, 03:08 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Hope everyone had a great St Patty's day! Thought I'd share a pic of Savannah...if you took any of your LOs dressed up for the day, come share too - I'd love to see them!

Here's our wee lil lass Her shirt says "Daddy's Little Hooligan"

And just for fun comparison, here she was last year on St Patty's day (i can't believe how much she's grown!!):

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
March 21st, 2011, 04:49 AM
What did you do this last weekend?

We went to the outdoor art festival. Lots of artist with tents displaying their work. It was pretty cool. The weather ws perfect and we went in the morning before it got too hot. Then we went to lunch with friends. The rest of the day was filled with getting ready for the new week. Laundry, setting out clothes for tomorrow. making lunch for tomorrow, bathtime, groceries, etc.

Our friends taught Makenna how to say "Oh, Snap". It was just too cute!

March 21st, 2011, 10:52 AM
The outdoor festival sounds like a lot of fun!! The "Oh snap" is hysterical....someone at daycare apparently taught Savannah to wave her finger from side to side when she says "No, No" (i swear we don't do that LOL...and I *try* to minimize saying "no" to her) and it is the funniest thing in the world to watch her say "No NO" and wag her finger at our cat when he gets in her way

Our weekend was spent running errands and trying to get some yard work done...which really means DH was doing yard work & Savannah and I were exploring all the fun & potentially deadly things (such as small rocks she thinks she should taste/eat) in the yard. We had awesome weather though and she had a great time.

Savannah Stylin!

March 25th, 2011, 11:00 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Everyone! I was meaning to post more often here, but we had some sickness going around our house. Both Asher and Cecil has RSV poor things. They still have coughs, but are feeling better now.

I started back to work yesterday. I really miss haging out with my kids. I think Asher missed me too, he wouldn't let me put him down for even a minute last night.....he nursed/suckled from 5:30 - 9PM last night. Cecil is more than happy to be back at daycare....he loves his friends there.

Here are some recent pics of Ash.....

March 26th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I love the cheeks! Asher looks a bit like Cecil, but has a darker complexion, doesn't he? Glad they are getting better from the RSV....this time of year is just hard on the little ones.

Toby had his two month appointment last Wednesday. He was 12 lbs 3 oz and 21 7/8 inches. He handled the shots fine, but about 4 hours later he was screaming. A bit of tylenol and all was well. I think the dtap kinda swelled and cramped up a bit while he was asleep, he never got a fever and he never fussed about it again.

A funny Juliana story for you all -
She is potty training and doing a terrific job. She spends most of the day without pants on and just sits on her little potty in the living room when she has to go. Yesterday she went 5 or 6 times...pee and poop! Yay! A few days ago, she was sitting on her potty and I was nursing Toby on the couch. She stands up, looks in, and excitedly yells, "Crap!" I am in shock, wondering first of all how she learned the word...and secondly, how she learned the correct context of the word!! I can't see into her potty to know if she actually went or not. She begins clapping and pointing and repeating, "crap, crap, crap!" Then she reaches into the potty......I yell, "NO!" and begin to stand....She reaches in and pulls out a little sticker (Cori has tons of stickers everywhere) with a crab on it. Whew!

March 26th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Quote:
She reaches in and pulls out a little sticker (Cori has tons of stickers everywhere) with a crab on it. Whew!
That is awesome!

Finally uploading some pix of Makenna. I'm posting another thread with them.

Sam -- Asher is so adorable -- I just want to sqeeze those cheeks (gently, of course). Cecil is growing so fast. I love the picture of the two of them together. Brotherly love!

March 28th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Oh my gosh Kelly, that is such a funny and Cute story! I about started laughing outloud at work! We are starting to potty train Cecil too, but we are just in the introductory stage. We will start full on Potty training in a couple of weeks once cecil is good and established in the daycare routine again. I didn't want to change too much on him at once.

Asher and Toby are about the same exact size. He was 12 lbs 6 oz and 21 1/2 inches at his 2 month appt. I hate those shots, especially their first ones where nothing has ever hurt them like that before and you just watch their little faces melt....so sad

And yeah, Asher is much darker complected that Cecil is, I don't think they look very much alike right now, but so much can change over this next year

Sacha....I'm going to check out Makenna's pics right now!!
April 6th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Missing chatting with you all!

We've had a busy past few weeks! Toby is still growing fast! He is cooing, smiling all the time, and trying his hardest to roll over (although I think it will be a few more weeks before he gets it). He slept 7 1/2 hours straight last night, but by my third I know enough not to get too excited about that just yet.

Juliana is still doing great on potty training and will even go on public pottys. She has had an ER trip since we last spoke because she put her tooth straight through her bottom lip. It didn't end up needing stitches. She fell off a bunch of toy boxes that she had stacked and climbed (anyone surprised?)

My only other big news is that I'm going to have a niece! BIL and SIL were matched with a birthmother who is due in late June. Hoping and praying it all goes smooothly!!

April 7th, 2011, 05:54 AM
sorry i've been MIA - work kicked into a new level of insanity at month end and i had to work all weekend too

Sam - Asher's so stinkin cute...i esp. love the photo with Cecil holding him, reminds me a lot of a photo my parents took with me holding my sister just like that after she arrived home...so cute!

Kelly - wow, sorry about the ER trip! I'll be joining you there soon i fear b/c Savannah's got the same crazy daredevil bug...she's just learning (a little) how to jump and that's opened up a whole new 1000 ways to accidentally hurt herself Love the potty training stories...i can't wait for Savannah to get even slightly interested in that and i'll be racing to store to buy her a potty

I'm thrilled to be off work now until Tue (yay!) because my parents come to town today (so excited!!) and should be fun to see how Savannah enjoys having them around to dote on her endlessly....we're going to try to go to the Zoo tomorrow (first time for Savannah) and she's learned how to make a growl sound like a Lion which is so adorable I must get it on video soon!

Savannah Stylin!

April 11th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Hey ladies -- it's been busy around here and I've neglected my JM buddies -- so sorry!

We went to TN for a long weekend with family. It was a great time, except Makenna has been sick. Last week, early Sunday morning she woke up with a fever. I let it go for a little bit to see if she could fight it off on her own, but when it got up to 102.5 I started giving her Acetamenaphin (sp?). It brought it down, but it kept going back up -- 102.8 and 102.9 at different times. I took Monday off and dh took Tuesday off to stay home with our little girl. Tuesday afternoon she awoke from a nap in a drenched sweat -- she never got another fever after that. She seemed to turn completely around and was acting completely normal and slept through the night on Tuesday night (first time in 4 nights -- and she has always slept through the night since she was 6 weeks old). I took her to the babysitter late on Wednesday for a few hours while I went in for a little work. She called about 3:15 pm when she woke Makenna up to get ready for dh to pick her up for the day and immediately called that she had a huge rash on her backside -- 7 or 8 inches long. She thought she was having some kind of allergic reaction. I immediately called our dr, and dh picked her up and we all met at the dr. Turns out she had 1) Roseola (the cause for the fever earlier in the week), 2) an ear infection (totally surprised me -- she had ZERO symptoms), and 3) hives (believed to be an allergic reaction to the bacteria that caused her ear infection -- I'm not sure I completely agree with that one).

Makenna has hardly been sick so for her to have so many things wrong with her at once made me quite sad -- and I felt a little guilty that maybe I should have done something different to keep her from getting sick. Benedryl quickly eased the hives, motrin is helping for the ear pain and an antibiotic is clearing up the infection.

If it hadn't been for the hives, we wouldn't have taken her to the doctor and wouldn't have found out about the ear infection -- so I know it's a good thing, but I still just don't quite understand why she had an allergic reaction to an ear infection -- doesn't seem to make sense to me. I'm being super careful about watching for anything new to show up so I can see if I can find another possible association -- nothing else has come up (which is good) but that means it's still a mystery to me.

Makenna is learning new things all the time. She has started singing songs like twinkle, twinkle and the ABCs. She sings so softly and only when I'm singing too, so it's hard to really hear her, but she is just so cute. It makes me smile every time.

She knows her shapes (circle, square, star, heart, oval), can recognize all numbers by sight and can recognize nearly half of the alphabet. She is struggling with colors though. You ask her what color something is and she always says a color, but it is almost always wrong. I will even have just 2 colors, we will review them over and over and then when I ask her what color one of them is, she says a color that we didn't even talk about. I'm sure I'm paranoid -- what experiences have you had with colors with your LO?

Well -- now that I've written a book (if you've gotten this far -- bless you!) I should get to bed.

Kelly -- good luck with the sleeping thing. Oh, and I'm so impressed that Juliana is doing so good with potty training -- we haven't even begun to consider doing anything with that yet. I'm SOOOOOO happy for your BIL and SIL. That is AWESOME news. June babies are pretty awesome.

Lara -- what did Savannah think of the zoo? Did she growl at the lion? LOL!

Sam -- how's Asher doing? I can't believe he is about to be 3 months old! Any jealousy issues with Cecil?

Miss you ladies -- maybe we should catch up in a chat sometime.

April 12th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Poor Makenna...that is quite the laundry list of illnesses! We've definitely had Roseola in this house...Cori was 12 months old and woke with 103.8...I took her to ER. Amazing how fevers don't freak me out nearly as much these days I'm with you on the allergic reaction to the infection, though, very strange. All I can say, is that viruses do weird things and perhaps it could be related to the virus instead. Cori had a virus with a super high fever that would come and go, she was tested for everything under the sun and they never did figure it out.

I really wish that these babies could play together...it seems like Makenna, Cecil, and Juliana are so close in development (and I'm sure Savannah could hold her own, too). Juliana does know colors, but doesn't know the names of shapes and can't recognize many numbers and letters. Cori, on the other hand, knew letters and shapes WAY before colors. She did the exact same thing...just said a random color. It took her so long to recognize colors correctly that DH kept saying, "maybe she is color-blind". I had to remind him that girls can't be color-blind unless their father is color-blind (and mom is a carrier) . Juliana loves to sing and her favorites are ABCs and Twinkle Twinkle too!

Toby can roll from front to back now. If I want him to have tummy time I have to keep flipping him over He is such a happy little guy, I've got tons of great smily pics, I'll get some up today.

April 12th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hi ladies....I just want to say that I love talking with all of you! I chat with some girls from the Feb 2011 Playroom, but this is just so much different. I think of each of you as more than just chat room buddies. You are like old friends.

Cecil and Asher are doing great. We are getting used to the new routine now that I am back to work full time. Going back to work has been soo much easier this time. I think with Cecil I had some PPD, I just didn't know it at the time. This time after birth, I am so much happier and less neurotic about everything. It helps that Asher is a good sleeper so everyone is well rested and it also helps that the daycare workers are more like friends, and I didn't know them well when Cecil started there.

Asher will be 3 months tomorrow, so I will try to post some new pics He just melts my heart, I love him soo much! He is such a smiley little baby. He isn't rolling over yet, but I think soon. He wiggles around on the floor quite a bit during floor play and tummy time.

Cecil will turn 2 in less than 3 weeks. We are starting to get ready for his party. It's going to be a train theme. Not a big party this year, just very close family/friends. He is such a sweet big brother. Every morning when he wakes up he asks to see Ash. We take him to Asher and Cecil says Hi and then gives him a kiss. Love it!! No big jealousy issues really between them. Occasionally Cecil gets frustarted when I am BFing because I am not playing with him, but that's it.
You guys were mentioning the singing.....Cecil loves to sing too. He sings along with the radio when we are in the car, but his favorite is to sing The Wheels on the Bus.

Lara - how did Savannah like the zoo? I hope work slows down for you soon.

Sacha - It's so hard when your lo is sick! I agree that the hives from ear infection sounds a little strange. I've never heard of that one before. Makenna sounds like she is doing great with learning her colors,numbers and shapes. What a smart little girl.

Kelly....That is Great that Toby is a good sleeper and a big YAY for rolling over! He's going to be keeping up with Julianna before you know it And Julianna sounds like she is doing great with potty training - WTG!. We took a break with cecil for a while until we get our new routine down a little bit more.
I'm so happy for your family and thier upcomming adoption. That is such great news! It will be great that thier new baby and Toby are close in age too.

I agree with Kelly, I wish our kids could have play dates together....they would have fun and we would have a blast!
April 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Juliana does know colors, but doesn't know the names of shapes and can't recognize many numbers and letters. Cori, on the other hand, knew letters and shapes WAY before colors. She did the exact same thing...just said a random color.
I'm theorizing (if that's a word ) that maybe those who are more creative learn things like colors first and those who are more scientific/analytical learn letters, numbers and shapes first. I'm an analyst... definitely not the creative side here.

Quote:
It took her so long to recognize colors correctly that DH kept saying, "maybe she is color-blind". I had to remind him that girls can't be color-blind unless their father is color-blind (and mom is a carrier) .
I had no idea genetics worked that way for color-blindness. If I remember correctly I think you have a degree in microbiology or something like that, so I'm sure you know these things. Makes me feel much more confident about her colors skills at this point.

Kelly -- that's great that Toby is rolling over. I also agree -- a play date is definitely in order. If anyone ever makes it to Disney World, maybe it could happen. I have a cousin who lives in Richland, WA. There's a remote possibility we could get to WA someday. Probably when our kids are grown and we have time/money to travel.

Sam -- sounds like Asher is getting close to rolling over. I'm so glad to hear that it was easier for you to get back in a routine of going back to work after Asher. Gives me hope for the future. A train party for his birthday sounds cool. We also expect not to do a big party this year -- just family and very close friends. No idea on a theme for us yet. We still have two months though. She LOVES Handy Manny, but it doesn't seem very girly.

Yesterday Makenna had me just cracking up laughing. She has a VTech (leap frog, I think) phone. It has a little screen to it and when you press the numbers, it's a little interactive. When you press the 2 key, two puppy biscuts appear and you see a little puppy coming up and eating up the puppy biscuts. She kept "eating" the puppy biscuts and making this funny pretend eating motion with her lips and mouth. She even adds little chewing sounds. It was such a little thing, but dh and I were cracking up so bad. She was quite the ham.

Sam -- how does it work with that adoption for your BIL and SIL? Do they get to be at the birth or anything like that? My director has several adopted kids and he was able to "catch" one of them and cut the cord on another one, I think. I know they will be thrilled just to be able to take a baby home, but I didn't know if they could have any more involvement than that.

Lara -- I sure hope the zoo was good. Got any pictures?

Great chatting -- as always.

April 12th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Sacha - You may be right about the left brain, right brain thing.....although, right now I'm starting to think Cori might be our "creative" child. Perhaps it is just her age, but she has tons of imaginary friends (with complex networks...moms, dads, kids, etc.) She has an imaginary monster family, Sally, Rovey, and Stinka that has been with her for nearly two years now.

You are right, I have a biology degree. The gene for color-blindness is x-linked, and guys only have one x chromosome (women are xx) so it is easier for them to be color-blind. It is VERY rare for a woman to be color-blind, but lots of men are.....so don't worry, she can see color

It is my SIL and BIL who are adopting and they are hoping to be there for the birth, but birthmom is across the country and has a history of going into labor early. So, we're just keeping our fingers crossed. With their first, they found out they were getting him when the birthmom was in labor and got there a couple hours after he was born. That was a wild few days.

Richland is not too far of a drive from me! So, if you are ever planning to visit your cousin, let me know! We are planning a disney trip, but disneyland will probably be more financially reasonable .

Sam, I totally agree with you about being "old friends". I find myself telling others stories I've heard from you and I always say, "my friend's baby did this, etc"

April 13th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Sacha - so sorry Makenna was sick you can't prevent things like that though (i also feel guilty every time Savannah picks something up at daycare)...i hope she's feeling better. On the color thing, for what it's worth, at Savannah's 15 month appt our pedi told us to focus on pictures, telling her proper names for things and specifically not focus on colors b/c (at least according to him) that's a concept that grasp better later. Even if some toddlers do know colors, it sounds like the norm is not to at this age...

Kelly - yay for the big rolling over! that's such a huge milestone for them...and i'm totally envious he's such a good sleeper (but you deserve it). I wish we could all have a in-person playgroup too...although I worry what would happen if Juliana & Savannah got together to compare daredevil antics though

Sam - glad the return to work is going well, it's really tough i know. Love the train theme idea for Cecil's party - that will be adorable! The lack of jealousy with Cecil/Asher is reassuring to hear...that's one of my big fears as we look at TTC again b/c Savannah's *very* proprietary about me right now and has a lot of jealousy toward (of all things) our cat, especially if he jumps on my lap - she'll stop what she's doing to push him off my lap & ask to be held (for 1 sec of course until cat's gone and then she's back to doing what she was before)

AFM...update from the Zoo....was a lot of fun, weather was perfect (and cool-ish, which helped) and Savannah slept through the first 1/2 of the Zoo because we got there late and right at her nap time...but when she woke up she was fascinated. We have a book of animal pictures at home which is her current fav, and a couple of pages are "wild animals" including Lion, Giraffe, Zebra, Elephant & Gorilla...so we saved those (conveniently they were located together) until she was awake - it blew her mind She saw the Zebra 1st and kept pointing saying "that, that!!" at it...the giraffes were definitely the big hit and we caught a little video of her waving at them.

What was really cute was once we came home she spent the entire weekend looking at the animal picture book and pointing/asking us to name those animals...and she now can identify if you ask her where is "zebra, giraffe, elephant & lion" and point to them so it definitely made a big impression with her.

We did a lousy job taking photos at the zoo (and i haven't tried to pull still images off the camcorder) but here's a few:

Looking at the Zebras:

Still looking at Zebras:

I think we were looking at some Elephants here (somehow we managed to capture nothing behind us ):

Savannah Stylin!

April 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I could use some good thoughts today.......my mother is very Ill.
She is in the hospital and is very confused. They think it is psychological and not a medical reaction. They have done every medical test to rule out a medical problem that they could think of. They think she has transient global amnesia and depression.

It hurts to have my mom in this state....
April 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I'm so sorry, Sam! Thoughts and prayers coming your way. Has she had mental health issues before? If not, that is so strange...hoping it will resolve quickly.

Lara - Thanks for posting the zoo pics. I'm with Savannah, girrafes and zebras are my favorites, too!

April 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
(((HUGS))) Sam...i'm so sorry & i hope she's ok...all mental health issues are so difficult for the families of the loved one who is ill. I hope the doctors are able to help her quickly.

Savannah Stylin!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search