Spent the day in the ER

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy After Loss Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got a call from daycare telling me that she tried to crawl out of the crib and fell. They said that she wasn't using her left arm. Of course, I rushed right over to assess the situation. It was obvious in about 3 seconds flat that she was in pain. She laid on the couch and wouldn't move at all. It didn't take me long to decide to take her to the ER. I struggled with the delema of how to buckle her into the car seat. It was about a 20 minute car ride to the ER. I just COULDN'T force her arm through the car seat straps and ended up only snapping the bottom portion and pulling the other side over the other arm. I was nervous driving to the ER. The ER happened to be just a few buildings away from where DH works. He met us in the ER. Xrays showed that she had broken both her radius and her ulna. They had to start an IV and then give her conscious sedation while they manuplated the bones back into place for them to heal. DH and I were out of the room while it happened, and she did pretty good, but she started crying as soon as we left the room and left her with all those strangers. She was SO loopy when we went back in to be with her. She wimpered a bit and then took a nice nap. She woke up and acted so much more like herself. She still favors the arm and won't really try to move it. They set it with a SPLINT. We have to follow up with the Ortho to get a real cast once swelling goes down.

I can't belive my little girl has TWO broken bones. I will be staying home with her tomorrow so I can try to help manage her pain. She still grabs her arm sometimes and cries "boo-boo, boo-boo". I just know that I'm going to be SO over protective until she can get a real cast. I don't want her falling down or anything -- you know how kids are, they trip and fall all the time. It's going to be a rough couple of days. I just hope we can get the cast ON before memorial day weekend.

Anyway -- that's my update. What a day!!!!!!!

May 25th, 2011, 08:01 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
ohhh noooo poor Makenna that's terrible Sacha...our daycare moves them to little mats on floor for naptime when they hit a year or so and i wonder if this is why - has she ever escaped a crib before?? I'd have totally freaked out if this happened to Savannah - you must have been so panicked! I just want to give you both hugs - what an awful day for you. I hope she's feeling better soon though...are you able to give her anything for the pain or just motrin/tylenol?

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
May 25th, 2011, 09:09 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Oh no poor little thing. What a brave girl though. Let us know how it goes tomorrow. Prayers for a quick recovery.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 26th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Lara -- They gave us a prescription for Tylenol with Codine, but I didn't take the time on the way home from the ER to go pick it up. I just really wanted to get her into her own comfortable environment as soon as possible. I used tylenol only for her just before she went to bed for the night. So far (it's nearly 5am) she has continued to sleep through the night. She even managed to figure out how to roll over without too much trouble. We will see how the morning goes. I'd rather not give her the codine, but if I feel she needs it in the morning, I will go out and get it. By the way, welcome out of lurkdom -- keep on posting, girlie. We want to hear your updates too.

Jess - thanks for the support. I will keep you guys updated. I owe pictures of the toddler bed (now that it's done) and I'll get pictures of her splint and cast to share too.

May 26th, 2011, 06:52 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I'm glad she's somehow managing to avoid bumping her arm too much...I hope they get the cast on her soon - I can't imagine how you're handling trying to keep her from accidentally moving her arm. I'm sure once the cast is on it'll be easier for you and hopefully less painful for her...poor little thing

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
May 26th, 2011, 07:36 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor baby... I hope she heals fast and feels better soon.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

May 26th, 2011, 08:02 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh no Makenna! Poor Sweetie! I hope she is feeling ok today... Tons of hugs for her. I hope they can cast her arm soon....toddlers are so active, Keeping her arm safe would be a hard thing to do.

Is the daycare going to have her sleep on a cot from now on?
May 26th, 2011, 12:26 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh no! Poor little girl! I remember that gut-wrenching feeling like it was yesterday (Cori broke her leg when she was 22 months old). The good news is that they heal really fast at that age. Cori's cast was only on for 4 weeks. No growth problems or anything since! Big huge hugs for you and Makenna!!

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
May 26th, 2011, 12:29 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow- i know these things happen but i feel so bad for her and you. i would totally be overprotective until the cast gets on too. hope she is doing alright today and feels better.
May 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
How is she doing today? Hopefully she isn't in to much pain.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 26th, 2011, 07:00 PM
She is doing great today. It didn't take her long at all to be back to her old self. I'm managing her pain with ibuprofen. It's going so well, that I'm going to try twice a day tomorrow instead of 3. She's gotten so comfortable now that she is doing things that I don't want her doing -- jumping on the couch, twirling in circles until she gets dizzy, running, jumping, climbing. She does get frustrated when she only has one hand to use -- can't pull blocks apart, can't open the flip cell phone, has difficulty managing holding books, etc. Overall, I can't complain at all. The appt. with the Ortho is tuesday morning. So we have several more days to get through.

May 27th, 2011, 07:11 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad she is feeling better. I bet she is frustrated at not being able to go at full speed or use that arm...... KUP on how she is doing. Thinking of both of you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search